WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have an exhibition window or or a design on the back of your watch please show a picture of it on your web page. The back isn't near as important to me as the front of the watch but I do take it into consideration when comparing like models. Do you hear me watch sellers!

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Amen to that. It is irksome for a company not to show the back of watch... or not to give complete tech specs (including lug-to-lug, IMO).
However, if it's a watch that's been sold before, odds are someone here on WUS has taken a picture of it. So I find that using Google Image search (images.google.com) and/or restricting a google search to WUS (adding "site:forums.watchuseek.com" to the end of the search) gets me to the pics the watch company should have shown.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Google is always my source for photos of watches, especially if I want real life pics. There are very few sellers that do really GOOD pics on their own. Most of them use stock photos which almost always suck.

You would think in this age of marketing the pants off everything, companies would realize how important good photography is on their corporate pages for all their products (looking at you Seiko).

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Google is always my source for photos of watches, especially if I want real life pics. There are very few sellers that do really GOOD pics on their own. Most of them use stock photos which almost always suck.

You would think in this age of marketing the pants off everything, companies would realize how important good photography is on their corporate pages for all their products (looking at you Seiko).
This! Often they look like crap compared to real life pics, even just the ones taken by phone etc

-Sent using Rock, Paper and the occasional Scissors-

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
This! Often they look like crap compared to real life pics, even just the ones taken by phone etc

-Sent using Rock, Paper and the occasional Scissors-
What's even worse is when you can readily tell the dial color has been photoshopped. Same model of watch, but three different colors available? You can almost BET they are all photoshopped. They can't even be bothered to use a real photo of each watch, they just create it digitally! WTH. Taking it a step beyond this is those pics where you can tell for sure its a computer render...not even photoshopped, but fully computer generated. WAIT...did the watch actually make it to production?? Oh, it did? Then why are they using the pre-production screen caps from some computer program? Quite stupid, honestly. And price matters not, go look at the Grand Seiko website. Its laughable. They could all be Sarbs for the level of finishing you can see...the WRUW threads do more to advertise the beauty of most watches than the corporate websites...

*steps off soap box*

·
Vendor
27,686 Posts
Yeah! Goddam all you sock-smelling watch companies!!!

Oh...uhm...never mind...

Alright, kidding aside, let me lob one in on behalf of the watch companies...what's with asking us how much a watch costs on social media? You do realize you're already on the internet, and we've got websites, right? It's not like you've got to get up off the couch to go look it up. You don't even have to leave Facebook or Instagram, ya big jabroni. Just click the link and open up a new tab fer cryin' out loud.

"Oh, no, Chris, visiting your website? That's way too much work..."

·
Vendor
27,686 Posts
Also, my website has caseback pics, lug lengths, case thickness, weight, beat rates, accuracy, etc, etc. You'd be amazed at the things people want to know and the questions we get.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Also, my website has caseback pics, lug lengths, case thickness, weight, beat rates, accuracy, etc, etc. You'd be amazed at the things people want to know and the questions we get.
How accurate will my watch be if left on its side (the non-crown side of course) the second Tuesday of every month?

.... at noon

... in the dark

... will it make any difference if I am eating a pastrami sammich at the time?

Seriously, most micros put as much effort into the back as they do the front. They know we care, and even if it IS just a render it gives me a good idea of what I am getting. BTW, outside photography services are not free. If you want nice high quality product photos understand that may inflate some of the costs that will need to be passed on to the consumer. Some would rather put the money into delivering a high quality watch and simply provide the best pictorial representation they have at their disposal for "free" (or as part of some service like design they may have already developed or paid for). As I know from personal experience some watch company owners are not the best photographers ;) . You might be thankful for the render in retrospect :p .

·
Premium Member
14,493 Posts
The back of the watch likely does not matter to 99% of watch purchasers

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I do find it annoying too when I can't find any photos either than front on from a manufactures website. It would be better if they could show the caseback and sides too, so you can see if the lugs curve down or not. I understand that some makers might not want to invest in the extra photography though, and at least these sort of photos are pretty easy to find with a Google search.

I find it even more annoying though when the dimension like height, weight and lug to lug aren't shown as I assume that they would know these and I do find them very helpful.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
The back of the watch likely does not matter to 99% of watch purchasers
If that was even remotely true, then every watchmaker would simply follow the example of Rolex in their caseback designs.

A company doesn't build something into a product just to please 1% of their customer base, unless they don't want to be in business very long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts