WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am working on trying to figure something out for a friend of mine, and I am coming up blank. An elder lady gave him this piece, which looks to be a deconstructed clock or pocket watch encased in some form of plastic or glass. I can't find anything about it, so I thought maybe you folks will have seen it. At first I was thinking a World's Fair piece, but there's no inscription stating anything on it. Don't know if it's a repro of something, only a couple decades old, or if it is actually from the 20s-30s. I will leave a photo here, hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction. I deal in vintage and antique items, and I know some about Telechron clocks, but that's about my limit when it comes to time pieces. Thanks in advance for any info you folks can give me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Just a guess, but by the arrangement I'd say this piece was intended as art. The similar pieces I've seen to what I'm guessing you mean by a "world's fair" piece are all clearly marketing and/or intended to clearly illustrate a point. For example: the plastic block pieces hamilton distributed to dealers with the embedded electric movements. This doesn't seemed arranged in any sort of educational manner. It's awesome, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a guess, but by the arrangement I'd say this piece was intended as art. The similar pieces I've seen to what I'm guessing you mean by a "world's fair" piece are all clearly marketing and/or intended to clearly illustrate a point. For example: the plastic block pieces hamilton distributed to dealers with the embedded electric movements. This doesn't seemed arranged in any sort of educational manner. It's awesome, though.
Thank you for the response. I was leaning toward art just for the sake of art, too. Maybe just a really cool paperweight. Any thoughts on time-period?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Not without closer pictures of the components, and probably not even then (at least from me, personally, there are others here who know far more than I). That being said there are 2 questions: 1) When are the components from and 2) when was the piece made. The answer to the former may or may or mar not be determinable but may be that they are not all from the same period and the answer to the latter may be impossible to determine.

·
Premium Member
36,137 Posts
It could also be meant as a display piece to showcase the mechanical workings of the clock, or just watch parts in general, like part of a sales presentation or such.

Again just a guess, but it is cool.

It would make a sweet paperweight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts