WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwing this out there in case anyone here has any information on the subject. I am looking for a watch I can use when running/at work and I really like the g-shock line. The issue I am having is that there are a TON of models/colors/choices to pick from.
http://www.gshock.com/products/

So basically, does anyone have an opinion on the subject? I am thinking of just getting this one and keeping things simple:
http://www.gshock.com/news/E95D2549-CB7A-4A27-99C4-6D39A73E4AFB
It is the G9000MS-1 listed.
Looks like this:

I am just throwing out the question because these watches have a ton of various functions to choose from. Some have a calendar feature, which is cool, to some that tell you about the tides around the world, for the surfers. Just seeing if any of you have any experience with these where you could tell me which one I would get the most use out of. At this point I am getting the watch in the picture, unless someone here tells me about some features I would really like. I have tried to look through all the watches they have but there are a ton. I am a firefighter/emt and a runner, so any features that you think would apply would be great.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
That is a great looking watch, but if you're gonna use it while running you might want a watch with better visibility/legibility. Reverse LCD is hard to read at night unless you have the EL on. The riseman is probably the most feature rich watch out there in the G-Shock lineup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great looking watch, but if you're gonna use it while running you might want a watch with better visibility/legibility. Reverse LCD is hard to read at night unless you have the EL on. The riseman is probably the most feature rich watch out there in the G-Shock lineup.

Thanks for the reply. That is one big looking watch with a ton of functions. Are there any other colors? There doesn't appear to be. Nice looking though:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That is one big looking watch with a ton of functions. Are there any other colors? There doesn't appear to be. Nice looking though:

Hi there, there certainly are some more colors available for the Riseman!

MIIW (men in ice white) Riseman:

MIRO (men in rescue orange) Riseman:

MIRB (men in rusty black, military inspired) Risman

It's also available in a MIMB-version (men in matte black), with a negative display, which looks fantastic!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there, there certainly are some more colors available for the Riseman!

It's also available in a MIMB-version (min in matte black), with a negative display, which looks fantastic!

Thanks. On the main site it only lists the one color. Do you have any more high-res of the last two and links to where I might be able to find them/their actual part number? I would be curious to see the bottom one in matte black because in the picture it looks olive drab. :thanksa ton!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sounds like they are very hard to get.
The MIMB watches have been released last month in Japan and this month in Europe (mostly just Germany) so they are still pricey and their availability is limited.

However, the MIMBs also have negative displays, just like the MSs ones, which means their legibility is limited in low light conditions and, in your line of work, those conditions may be quite common while fiddling with the backlight is impossible if your hands are busy.

If I were you, I would choose a bright positive display.

Almost all G-Shocks (at least the digital and ana-digi ones) have the same basic functions: 200M WR, auto-calendar, dual time, world time, countdown timer (usually 60 mins, a few have a 25hr one), stopwatch, alarms, EL backlight (often an auto EL backlight: lights up when you turn your wrist).

Many exist in 2 versions: normal and solar+atomic. The solar+atomic ones usually have a full auto EL backlight (doesn't light up in bright light).

The special functions, by model line are:

- Mudman (G/GW-90xx): mud resistant (the GW-9010 also has a rally timer)

- Gulfman (G/GW-91xx): rust resistant, tide graph (except the solat+atomic GW ones)

- Riseman (GW-92xx): barometer/altimeter, thermometer and pressure graph (but the thermometer can not measure body temperature and must be away from your wrist for at leat 20-30 minutes to measure correctly)

- Frogman (GW-2xx, GWF-1000): ISO-certified 200M WR, lots of diving functions and a limited databank (the new GWF line also includes tide and moon graphs and atomic sync, while the GW-2xx is only solar)

- G-100: smaller, anti-magnetic ana-digi

- G-7900: moon and tide graphs

- GLX-5600: slimmer, tide and moon graphs

Outside the G-shock range but still pretty tough, the ProTrek/Pathfinder models (PRW/PAG/PRG) have barometer/altimeter, thermometer and compass. The PRW (EU and JP) and PAG (US) are solar+atomic, while the PRG ones are not (but some are solar). The SGW-100 offers compass and thermometer (and it is much cheaper than the ProTreks).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just received a new g9000ms for my second g-shock a couple days ago. The watch looks great, the all black look is my favorite. But the reverse lcd is horrible, I can't even read this display in my room with a light on sometimes.

I would like the new solar gulfman with reverse lcd but unfortunately its out of my budget, so I settled for this one. The watch band for the mudman is very comfortable compared to my glx5600. Sometimes I forget I'm even wearing a watch. Only bad thing I can say about it is the reverse lcd. If your desire for the looks of a watch outweighs your desire for daily use then I would get it.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If you still wish for a Mudman without the difficulty of a negative display, just get a regular G9000-1 with a positive readout. Or better yet, go for a solar atomic GW-9010. No worrying about battery replacements, and can automatically adjust to the exact time.

If size and weight are a consideration, there's also the GW-056-1V, possibly the smallest G-Shock in existence, with solar and atomic functionality.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I use an oldish GT-006 G Cool - large stopwatch display and pretty lightweight.

Use it for 10k trail races, triathlons and all sort - ultra reliable and comfy too.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
One feature that is important for me when chosing a G Shock is if it has a snooze alarm. Not every model has it , and it is more reliable than the basic alarm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The MIMB watches have been released last month in Japan and this month in Europe (mostly just Germany) so they are still pricey and their availability is limited.

However, the MIMBs also have negative displays, just like the MSs ones, which means their legibility is limited in low light conditions and, in your line of work, those conditions may be quite common while fiddling with the backlight is impossible if your hands are busy.

If I were you, I would choose a bright positive display.

Almost all G-Shocks (at least the digital and ana-digi ones) have the same basic functions: 200M WR, auto-calendar, dual time, world time, countdown timer (usually 60 mins, a few have a 25hr one), stopwatch, alarms, EL backlight (often an auto EL backlight: lights up when you turn your wrist).

Many exist in 2 versions: normal and solar+atomic. The solar+atomic ones usually have a full auto EL backlight (doesn't light up in bright light).

The special functions, by model line are:

- Mudman (G/GW-90xx): mud resistant (the GW-9010 also has a rally timer)

- Gulfman (G/GW-91xx): rust resistant, tide graph (except the solat+atomic GW ones)

- Riseman (GW-92xx): barometer/altimeter, thermometer and pressure graph (but the thermometer can not measure body temperature and must be away from your wrist for at leat 20-30 minutes to measure correctly)

Thanks for the reply. So here are some further quesitons:

1. I would like the watch to be automatic/solar and not battery powered. It is just easier. I can get that feature in any of the three models above?

2. I see what you are saying about the display. It makes perfect sense and something I should follow through on. I would like one with a normal display then.

3. I am just looking for the calender feature, automatic, and something that is extremely durable considering my line of work. Hell, it would be nice to just have a watch that I don't have to worry about. I do not want one with that surf thing on it though.

4. I like the matte black versions, but they appear to be pretty limited after searching, and expensive. I think that I am going to have to rule those out, even though they look AWESOME. So, I would like one with a normal face in black (with white, blue, red, gray, or black lettering) or navy blue/blue. I think that would be nice.

Again, a huge thanks goes out to you guys for all helping me. I wanted to ask you guys because this is your forum and you guys have the knowledge/information, and I don't. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you still wish for a Mudman without the difficulty of a negative display, just get a regular G9000-1 with a positive readout. Or better yet, go for a solar atomic GW-9010. No worrying about battery replacements, and can automatically adjust to the exact time.

If size and weight are a consideration, there's also the GW-056-1V, possibly the smallest G-Shock in existence, with solar and atomic functionality.

So the GW-9010 is solar/automatic and is a mudman? That is what it looks like to me anyway:
http://g-shock.jp/lineup/master/mudman/

Looks nice. This one looks nice too:

GW9100-1

They do pretty much the same thing it appears. About that snooze feature, it would say that on the description, correct?

Edit, correction, I see where it lists the snooze feature now.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts

Bogey beat me to this recomendation :-d

I think you might want to also look a the new G 7900. and Gw7900. The G7900 is standard battery powered that should last over 5 years and then you just replace the battery about 3 bucks :) These come in Black, Green, Red and White for about $ 80 so lots of colors to pick from. The GW is solar and atomic but lacks the large moon phase and I dont think it has the dual stopwatch that's on the G7900. I really like the dual stop watch function. I save my best time on one of the stopwatches and use the other one to try and beat my best time :-!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
IMHO tough solar isn't perfect as it sounds : you need to "air" your watch to give it some light if it stays all the time under your sleeve (like in winter). and also it doesn't last forever, the capacitor ability to charge lowers with time, and you have to replace it after a few years...

·
Registered
510 Posts
So the GW-9010 is solar/automatic and is a mudman?
Yes on both accounts.

The G/GW-90xx series is the Mudman.

In the G-Shock world, GW means solar+atomic (except in the case of the Frogman, where GW-2xx is only solar and you need GWF-1000 for solar+atomic). The PRW/PAW are the solar+atomic of the ProTrek/Pathfinder range instead.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Considering the abuse it's going to see at your job, I'd probably get one of the less expensive models. Maybe something like this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or these:

You can get most of these for less than $50, and they're all older models, but they're still really good watches.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
IMHO tough solar isn't perfect as it sounds : you need to "air" your watch to give it some light if it stays all the time under your sleeve (like in winter).
And it isn't as bad as it sounds either:

1. Exposure to sunlight is only necessary if you wish to fully charge the battery. Otherwise, Tough Solar is perfectly capable of maintaining its present charge under sufficient indoor lighting (unless you plan to spend the entire winter living outdoors).

2. You can always activate Power Save mode and disable the Auto EL if the watch will be under your sleeve most of the time.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts