WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Watch enthusiast,

I am a coin dealer (not a watch expert at all) that took a Audemars Piguet Royal Oak watch in on consignment and I'm trying to do some research on it before I offer it for sale. My customer claims he won it in a golf game and he does not have box or papers with it. From what reading online, The No. 1410 is the watch number and not necessarily the serial number. Would I have to open this up to find out what the serial number is? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

View attachment 4409762 View attachment 4409770 View attachment 4409778

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Help with Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Watch

Look like a copy of AP model 25594. The fonts on the subdials are wrong, and the Audemars Piguet on the dial is not even close to the original.

·
Registered
745 Posts

Just politely give it back and tell him you do not know enough about watches to honestly buy and sell them. You need to protect your reputation and you should take care of your customers.

Kudos for the photographs, good job on those.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Clearly a fake. Very low grade hands, and the dial is not even close to accurate.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

That looks like an early Royal Oak Ref. 25594SA, and I doubt it's fake.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts

That looks like an early Royal Oak Ref. 25594SA, and I doubt it's fake.
? One can even see the gold plating rubbing off on the links in the picture with the caseback...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

? One can even see the gold plating rubbing off on the links in the picture with the caseback...
The watch needs a cleaning; that's wrist cheese.

You guys calling "fake" should take a few moments to search early versions of this model. That's exactly how they look:

(image from chrono24.com)

Edit -

Here's one in better condition:

image from chronometrie-pietzner.de

·
Registered
536 Posts

The day font...S" and "T". Don't know if that changed over the course of production..there's another one on chrono24 with that font.

LOL at "won it playing golf"

·
Banned
2,843 Posts

The watch needs a cleaning; that's wrist cheese.

You guys calling "fake" should take a few moments to search early versions of this model. That's exactly how they look:

(image from chrono24.com)

Edit -

Here's one in better condition:

image from chronometrie-pietzner.de
I am not an expert on used/vintage watches, that's why I never bought one and most likely never will. I just don't trust my fellow human beings.

However...

You say that is dirt on those two links? It doesn't look like to me, it looks like the gold plating just rubbed off. None of the other links have any dirt on them. Seems odd.

Also on the pictures in your post, I see that where the "AP" is located on the dial differs dramatically between these two watches. In the second one, it looks much higher.

·
Registered
536 Posts

You do realize that's not a font, but hand lettering, yes?

I don't see why anyone would put much effort into accurately faking such an obscure and unpopular model anyway.
Note the tips of the S and T's.

5132_80_2.jpg

·
Registered
1,344 Posts

AP used a bunch of different variations on the dials back then. They used to get dials from different dial manufacturers, so there are often variations during this time period. I am not an expert, but I do not think it is a fake. I have some recent experience in researching Royal Oaks from the 70's-90's

Best bet would be to visit a boutique or send it to AP for verification.

·
Registered
2 Posts

We shot the gold with a XRF gun and it tested positive for 18k gold. I'm not an expert but I'm not an idiot. I'm looking for someone who knows these. Not someone that's going to guess that it's fake.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts

I'm no expert in AP but this one does feel off - the links do look like gold plated, and indices seem sloppy. Also, positioning and execution of stars on moonphase seems sloppy. Yet, I've seen that older APs have not always been done flawlessly - so who knows. If in doubt, best thing to do is get the case opened and look at the movement.

What throws biggest red flags for me here is not the picture, but the story... A person won a $20K watch playing golf? You have it on consignment, but have not authenticated with a jeweler? Seems unusual to say the least. Does watch sourcing support the story - is the customer in question someone who regularly plays golf and can wage $20K?

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts

We shot the gold with a XRF gun and it tested positive for 18k gold. I'm not an expert but I'm not an idiot. I'm looking for someone who knows these. Not someone that's going to guess that it's fake.
People were trying to help you...

·
Premium Member
22,029 Posts

I would try to clean those middle links closest to the case. It does look like oxidation to me which suggest that the way is a fake, but if it's just dirt and grime, then it should clean off easily.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.