WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wanted to revive this thread to add to its praises. In particular, the 10 repeat dual timer is really amazing. I was surprised after purchasing the g7710 that its dual timers are actually not as functional - they can repeat for 5 times each but this can't be set.

The aqs810 is great for things like interval training where you might not be in the right frame of mind to track how many repetitions have passed, since you can set the cycle from 1 to 10 repeats.

I'll also add to the plea for casio to put out a gshock with something similar to this models features!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks for the response. Would flat enamel work, or just gloss?
I tried flat enamel first, but found it just rubbed off. Gloss enamel is more durable. It still requires an occasional touch up. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Fascinating watch. I'm considering my first Casio, and this has caught my eye for all the obvious reasons.

Questions:
1 what's the key practical difference between this and a G-shock series watch, besides shock resistance? Overall quality of materials? If I'm not in the military/LE or construction, will I ever notice?
2 is there an obvious model to upgrade to? Basic, durable, solar ana-digi but... better? G or wave-ceptor or something else?
Thanks!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ziptie,

The AQ-S810-1AV is a very nice sport watch. It checks off the boxes for me for an ana-digi pilot/miitary watch. At only $34.90 from amazon.com, it's affordable and priced right.

This watch is obviously not as "tough" as a G-Shock, but it will serve you well for desk diving, swimming, and sports use. I wear mine for tennis, biking, and hiking just fine.

This watch is Solar. It is very moddable, just look through the many pages of this thread. Good luck.

Here's my "stealth" AQ-S810-1AV.

casio aq-s810w-1av 060814.jpg

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Fascinating watch. I'm considering my first Casio, and this has caught my eye for all the obvious reasons.

Questions:
1 what's the key practical difference between this and a G-shock series watch, besides shock resistance? Overall quality of materials? If I'm not in the military/LE or construction, will I ever notice?
2 is there an obvious model to upgrade to? Basic, durable, solar ana-digi but... better? G or wave-ceptor or something else?
Thanks!
If you can live with the tiny LCD and the easily scratchable acrylic crystal, then the AQS810 is a pretty decent watch. For several times, I nearly picked one up, but stopped short because the LCD's just too small for me to read at a glance. But that's just me.

The AQS810 is consisted of a single plastic case, whereas a G-Shock has an additional layer of soft resin covering the case. That is the key difference between the two. The soft resin helps absorb shocks and vibrations better. G-Shocks also use mineral crystal which resists scratches better. However, the AQS810 is still plenty rugged for everyday use. There are also benefits for using a plastic case and acrylic crystal.

If you decided to stay with the AQS, don't forget to check out all the different color variations for this model. If you decide to try out G-Shocks, then the AWG-M100 is the closest and least expensive. There are also other color variations for this G.
awg-m100-1a_4.jpg

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,207 Posts
The next upgrade is the AD-S800WH.
Somewhat larger case, mineral glass and maybe somewhat more robust. :)

Questions:
Thanks!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Nice Review!

Those models offers a lot of useful features for little money.
I spend mine a sapphire crystal (with ar-coating) and full relume.

Beautiful work! I spotted this in your(?) YouTube video before finding your post here. It doesn't look like anyone asked, so I "must." If you wouldn't mind sharing, what size crystal did you use? I noticed that someone mentioned a measurement of 4-5mm thickness of the original plastic crystal. Did you just get the thickest you could find? Also, did you re-use a gasket that came with the watch or purchase a generic gasket when installing the sapphire crystal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: buddhashenglong
101 - 120 of 121 Posts