WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am looking to spend between 200-300 dollars on a high quality calf/alligator (brown) strap for my vintage rolex 1500 date. I am trying to find some companies that are known for their higher end straps and I am not coming up with many. Seems that everything in this space is trying to do it the cheapest.. but I am looking to pay for something quality. So far I have been looking at the Hodinkee store, Jean Rousseau, and Hirsch. I would like to know the opinions of these 3, especially hirsch, but i also would like to know if there are any other websites/brands that produce high quality straps for me to look at.

Anyone have a recommendation? Or an opinion on the hirsch straps that are in the ~250$ range or the hodinkee branded straps?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
If I was going to spend $200-300 on a strap, I’d definitely go custom. In this price range I only have experience with Gunnystraps and Aaron from Combatstraps, and I recommend them.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Camille Fournet
+1

This is the way to go if you want a true luxury strap.

Camille Fournet is the strapmaker for some of the finest OEM straps, and you can specify your exact preferences in most cases for custom builds. They also have dealers if you'd prefer to make use of their knowledge for guidance, etc. I found the custom order process on the CF website to be a little unclear for one or two details . If I recall correctly, forum sponsor Freda is a dealer.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
ABP Paris is also very nice, they offer more material choices and customization than CF although they are priced a little bit more from what I remember. Check out their special tanning alligator.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
ABP can be difficult to communicate with.

Try Mr. Hanz (shown below on my Rolex). If you want the best of the best look up John Glance of "Dangerous9 straps" but be prepared to push up your budget a little, especially if yo uget into exotic lining leathers and such (lizard shown below on my Enzo Mechana).

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
This is One of two that Jeremy from Get_primed made for my sevenfriday.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Is Jeremy still making straps? Last time I tried to get a hold of him I didn't get a response. He has made a few of my absolute favorites and his prices were downright reasonable and his work exquisite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is Jeremy still making straps? Last time I tried to get a hold of him I didn't get a response. He has made a few of my absolute favorites and his prices were downright reasonable and his work exquisite.
This one is from last year, i send him an email like a month ago and he responded like 3 days later.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
ABP can be difficult to communicate with.

Try Mr. Hanz (shown below on my Rolex).
I second Mr. Hanz, cool dude to work with and his price is really fair if not cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you for the recommendations everyone. i went with Camille Fournet custom strap, matt aligator large scale in honey with some custom settings. 358. went above budget but i am happy, we'll see when it gets here.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey all,

I am looking to spend between 200-300 dollars on a high quality calf/alligator (brown) strap for my vintage rolex 1500 date. I am trying to find some companies that are known for their higher end straps and I am not coming up with many. Seems that everything in this space is trying to do it the cheapest.. but I am looking to pay for something quality. So far I have been looking at the Hodinkee store, Jean Rousseau, and Hirsch. I would like to know the opinions of these 3, especially hirsch, but i also would like to know if there are any other websites/brands that produce high quality straps for me to look at.

Anyone have a recommendation? Or an opinion on the hirsch straps that are in the ~250$ range or the hodinkee branded straps?

Thank you very much in advance.
Bit late to this thread, but Hirsch straps are very nice, particularly with a curved end and thickened lug. Hirsch made me a load of custom straps that I used to fit as standard to the watches I build. Pic below of some of their standard straps on my watches.

However, in the same way that you're clearly interested in quality over price, I'm transitioning from Hirsch to dangerous9straps. Ignore the name as these are without doubt the very best straps I've ever seen. They're custom made in Munich, Germany, by John in whatever combination of leathers, skins and colours you fancy. Not sure of his price for leather, but in an exotic you're looking around usd 400+.

Below pic in a grey/blue Teju with dark blue Teju lining, thickened lug profile and curved end. John does the full range of skins and leathers, but after much experimenting I decided Teju is by far the best. It's thinner than saddle leather, but tougher and it ages and wears extremely well. Teju is also quite tasty (https://marinechronometer.co.uk/index.php/news), so you can be assured the whole animal is used, rather than just farming for its skin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts