WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems high end microbrands are all the rage these days and I’m wondering if any of them produce and/or specialize in a quartz movement? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
High end micro brands tend to be driven by traditional watch makers and the resurgent popular interest in hand-worked mechanical ingenuity. Little mechanical marvels that are as much art work as they are timepieces. Or, at least, they are conversation pieces, having some unusual design feature.

While, as a HAQ collector, I feel that quartz watches certainly deserve a chunk of the micro brand territory, the truth is that there is probably a much smaller market for a finely engineered quartz watch. You need a different breed of watch maker, for a start. Someone who has spent more time on an electrical engineering course than at a WOSTEP school. And while consumer demand for novel mechanical movements is sufficient to sustain some high end micro brands, I doubt that there is sufficient interest in high end, small production run quartz pieces to do the same.

Hotproff went under. Morgenwerk hasn't released anything new since launch and is still trying to shift (at a discount) its original stock. And while their products aren't (/weren't) exactly 'high end', they do feature bespoke, in-house movements and reasonably high price tags. The only other micro brand I can think of that uses a bespoke quartz movement is De Havilland and despite their website still being functional I have no evidence of their watches still being sold. The only reports from owners on WUS were quite a few years ago.

There are, of course, home brew quartz watches and amateur producers of unusual timepieces that can be found on rather geeky websites, but along with the myriad startups that drop cheap-as-chips Chinese quartz movements into even cheaper cases, and a handful of better made small production brands that use more robust Swiss or Japanese movements, this sort of thing just doesn't come close to what you're suggesting in terms of being 'high end' micro brands.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Didn´t Girard Perragaux made a Quartz Laureto for the 40th anniversary a few years back? And of course F.P. Journe with the beautiful Elegante 48
But there are absolutly way to few out there :(

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Girard Perregaux were, of course, responsible for establishing the 32kHz standard in the very earliest days of quartz watches. But are they a 'micro brand'? F. P. Journe haven't quite got the same heritage as G.P. but they have been making high end watches since 1999. Are they a micro brand? I really have no idea. I didn't think they were.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had no idea Journe makes a quartz

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Halios have an upcoming HAQ model, using the same movement as the Sinn UX I believe. From Halios' March, 2020 update:
halios said:
High-accuracy quartz: these magnificent movements are sadly sitting and waiting to be purposed. No production has begun on this model yet but it is priority #1 as soon as the Fairwind production wraps up.
Silver Watches were also working on a HAQ project when they exited the market.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Good news re: Halios HAQ
I don't really see any "good news" in the Halios announcement:

High-accuracy quartz: these magnificent movements are sadly sitting and waiting to be purposed. No production has begun on this model yet but it is priority #1 as soon as the Fairwind production wraps up.

The Fairwind is not even available for pre-order yet, and their Swiss assembly is currently shut down. Sounds to me like we're looking at middle-end next year at the earliest for the HAQ offering.

Am I missing something?

HTH

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
Yeah, I read it pretty much the same. It's a long ways off.

PLUS, figure that while there might well be a burst of sales, first thing will be clearing the shelves of a near-certain inventory overstock, and a likely order backlog. Just think *how many* outfits are going to try to restart their production.

I've got a Timor Heritage ordered from their Kickstarter campaign. Target date was November; that seems rather unlikely. The more vague the plans are? The further back in all the queues you'll be.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently bought a Breitling Colt Quartz and is an amazing piece, I'm loving it.
Does it have a perpetual calendar?

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Very interesting. Had not realized they were thermocompensated.
I talked to the guys at Devon about this. Both models are compensated and they have an optical sensor to count the "holes" in the belt to detect belt slack. But because the system on top of the quartz base is fairly complicated with a few different sources of timing errors (motors, belt, gearing), they don't advertise beyond standard quartz specs.

I haven't noticed any difference with/without running the display but the drift is only a matter of seconds per month. I used to travel frequently enough that resetting it every time I get to a new time zone was enough to keep it running to within 1s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts