WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years now, the Lambda has been the horological and stylistic flagship of the ultra-modern German brand Nomos. It represented the pinnacle of the company’s bauhaus vision, thanks to an austere, clean dial punctuated with an enormous power reserve, which celebrates the incredible movement hidden behind the dial. However, Nomos has always been a brand that has been respected as much for its excellent value as its horological pedigree, and for most fans, the Lambda, previously available only in precious metals, was simply out of reach. That might change today thanks to the introduction of three new LE Lambdas available in stainless steel, dramatically reducing the price to a fairly mainstream $7,500, all without compromising the features or quality.

In case you’re not familiar with the Lambda already, let’s take a quick look at what makes it so special. The first thing you notice, of course, is its ultra-modern dial. It’s extraordinarily clean, with no numerals or even applied hour markers to speak of. The hour markers that do exist are small and out of the way. Thin stick hands take up minimal space over the dial.

That is, except for the enormous power reserve complication in the most prominent place on the dial. It’s through the minimization of every other design element that this one is allowed to stand out because Nomos is very proud of its extended power reserve DUW 1001 movement. It’s a polarizing, and avant garde, design to be sure, but in a sea of tasteful, but otherwise unexciting, watches that the Lambda normally is up against, like Calatravas and Patrimonies, it manages to set itself apart in a uniquely German way. I’m somewhat known for my allegedly contrarian views on these things, but I love it.

The Lambda is more than just a beautiful dial, of course, particularly in this anniversary LE. It also has a characteristically Nomos case design, albeit now in steel. Nomos tends to emphasize basic shapes (lots of circles and straight lines) in its cases, as opposed to more complex, curvaceous shapes like those found in, say, an Aqua Terra. In my opinion, Nomos’ goal in case design is basically to get out of the way of the dial, so you usually end up with very thin, unadorned bezels and thin lugs.

The case is also well-proportioned for a modern everyday watch, at 40.5mm—slightly on the large side for a watch like this, particularly given its all-dial look (which tends to make watches appear larger), but not enormous by any means, and likely the smallest it could realistically get due to the size of the movement. Better yet is its thickness, at just 8.9mm. Of course, the most unique feature of the watch is perhaps its most ordinary, namely that it’s made from steel rather than gold.

But my favorite element, is, of course, the DUW 1001 movement, showing Nomos’ finest craftsmanship. In terms of features, we have a large 84 hour power reserve, resulting from dual mainsprings, but also an elegant swan neck fine adjustment mechanism, replacing the Triovis system used in almost all other Nomos movements. Stealing the show, however, is the hand-engraved balance cock, and the gold chatons. Interestingly, these new more affordable models are actually a little better than their counterparts in gold full production cases, if only because these movements are adjusted to match chronometer standards.

These three new Lambda LEs represent an interesting option for the Nomos fan. It’s certainly above what most Nomos collectors are accustomed to paying, yet for the diehard, it’s a chance to own the flagship model without skimping on any quality or features. Personally, because I have no attachment to precious metals whatsoever, I’d get it. I love how they look, particularly the silver 960.S1 and I think the movement is stunning. It’s very difficult to think of a watch in this price range that brings so many unique qualities to the table. Because they’re only making a 175 of each, I expect that they won’t last particularly long either.

Click any of the models below to visit its respective pre-order page.

960.S1
960.S3
960.S2

·
Registered
16,289 Posts
Too bad it'd wear way large on my wrist, nice looking watch . . .

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Beautiful watch and very elegant. This Nomos looks like it has long lugs, what’s the L2L on this watch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
That power reserve tho

I'm feeling it

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Always little bugged me how in their stock pictures the PR and seconds hands are perfectly at 12. I don't think that's a good representation of what the watch will look like when wearing it. Still like it, but I wish I had more pictures of how it looked in the real world.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
This is the only Nomos model I really like. The sort of minimalism I can enjoy. Except, of course, I wouldn't pay that much for a Nomos in gold.

...and after years and years, they bring it out as an LE in steel?? Why not just make that part of their normal collection. I find it it simply not understandable.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think the design and movement is awesome but 40.5mm and almost all dial would make it huge (at least for some including me).

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Always thought the Lambda was an elegant & gorgeous design. I would think dropping it from $20k into the $7k range would make it a rather tasty dress watch option for one looking for elegance but more visual interest beyond a traditional 2 or 3-hander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Black dial on steel actually looks a lot nicer than the gold watches. Though they should've gotten a model with a larger wrist for the shot.

I agree with the posters above that they really should make a steel regular version of this given that prior to these steels, there's such a gigantic gap in price between the Lamda/Lux and the rest of the line.

Reactions: MisterV

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
...and after years and years, they bring it out as an LE in steel?? Why not just make that part of their normal collection. I find it it simply not understandable.
I'll second this! I'd love to put the blue one on my wishlist for some future purchase. But since it's an LE, I'm not sure if I'll find one or what it will go for.

Reactions: MisterV

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Exactly. If this would be made into a regular series watch, it would literally be the only minimalist modern dressy watch in the market, afaik.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
That's a big cock. For the balance, I mean.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There is also a discussion in the German-themed sub-forum, where I wrote the following:

I think it's great that Nomos finally made the decision to offer this in stainless steel, simply for the more attractive pricing. While I understood the company's desire to have one or two super high-end offerings, Nomos never felt to me like a watch you'd spend $20K on. Lange, yes. Nomos, no.

I've always had mixed feelings about this design. I like how bold Nomos can be in some of their choices. But I never understood why the power reserve had to dominate the dial. Case size is a little large, too, but maybe the extra space compliments the dial.

The one thing that always strikes me about the Lambda is that it offers a slight hint as to what a regulator dial could look like from Nomos. Maybe one day...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts