WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my Highgear Altis SS in the mail today. Haven't played with it yet, but one of the first things I noticed was that the buttons have a cheap feel when you press them. The right two especially have a 'gritty' feel, while the left two are much smoother. I'm also worried about soap getting in the gaps between the button and the rest of the housing, which seems somewhat large.

Anyone else noticed this? Would Highgear replace the watch if I contacted them?

I am impressed with the build quality otherwise, I just want to make sure everything is as it should be (especially after laying down > $100!).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Interesting. My Altis Ti has buttons made out of titanium and there is nothing cheap about the feel of the buttons when pushed either.

I am not sure they would replace the watch because the buttons have a gritty feel. Most likely, this will get better after a few weeks of use.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Funny you should mention this. When i got my Ti Altis I was disappointed because I thought the buttons felt cheap and were plastic. After mentioning that on a poste here, I was told to check again, that the buttons where in fact Ti. I checked more closely and sure enough that's what they were. the shade and the feel (they are not cold like SS) amde them feel plasticy. I'm pretty sure the ones on your SS model are SS buttons. I really love this piece.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just received my Highgear Altis SS in the mail today. Haven't played with it yet, but one of the first things I noticed was that the buttons have a cheap feel when you press them. The right two especially have a 'gritty' feel, while the left two are much smoother. I'm also worried about soap getting in the gaps between the button and the rest of the housing, which seems somewhat large.

Anyone else noticed this? Would Highgear replace the watch if I contacted them?

I am impressed with the build quality otherwise, I just want to make sure everything is as it should be (especially after laying down > $100!).
On my Altis Ti I notice that if you press the buttons at an off-angle you get more friction which might be what you are experiencing as gritty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my Altis Ti I notice that if you press the buttons at an off-angle you get more friction which might be what you are experiencing as gritty.
Pressing them at an off angle also increases the static friction in my case, but there's still quite a lot of resistance when you press them normally. Plus there's sometimes an audible click.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Altis Ti buttons have a smooth feel when pressed, have no perceptible increase in friction when pressed off angle and definitely do not have an audible click. If it doesn't get better, I'd send the watch back.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pressing them at an off angle also increases the static friction in my case, but there's still quite a lot of resistance when you press them normally. Plus there's sometimes an audible click.
Hmm, sounds like a real problem. Maybe something got buggered in the button connection during assembly and it is binding up.

I'd return/ exchange it if that's an option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, sounds like a real problem. Maybe something got buggered in the button connection during assembly and it is binding up.

I'd return/ exchange it if that's an option.
I think I might, though I'm not sure if it's just an issue with the SS model, since most people here seem to have the Ti one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny you should mention this. When i got my Ti Altis I was disappointed because I thought the buttons felt cheap and were plastic. After mentioning that on a poste here, I was told to check again, that the buttons where in fact Ti. I checked more closely and sure enough that's what they were. the shade and the feel (they are not cold like SS) amde them feel plasticy. I'm pretty sure the ones on your SS model are SS buttons. I really love this piece.
I'm pretty sure they're SS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts