WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. not sure if this is the best forum for this, since im asking about suunto competition I didnt want to post on the suunto board. Just wondering if anyone had any info on any of these. I would like to get a watch with compass, temp, etc, and dont want to spend the money on a core or anything more expensive than that. I know some of you have casios with these types of functions. Im just trying to get the biggest bang for my buck, any thoughts, suggestions, thanks all, chris.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Seeing as you've gotten no response in 17 hours, I would suggest posting this in the G-Shock forum. I expect you will get a response fairly quickly. |>

Those guys are rabid about multi-function watches, and often compare Casios to Suuntos etc. :)

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
If your aim is to get the best bang for your buck on an ABC watch, then avoid all of these and go for an Nike Oregon. Their alti-compass version comes with altimeter, barometer, compass, and thermometer, as well as a bunch of other goodies. Unlike most of the other analog "field" watches, the features on this thing actually work. For example the compass can be made to point to magnetic north or true north and actually used for navigation. The barometer and altimeter are dead accurate and can be calibrated. the thermometer gets a little confused by your body temperature, but can be calibrated to compensate for it. If you are going to be out on the field then this would be a good watch for you.

It is more comparable to the Suunto than any of the others, and besides Suunto it is the only other brand that uses zero-drift software to ensure accurate readings. You might want to consider a Suunto as well, but the Nike's can be had for about 1/3 the price of a comparable Suunto.

Here is the one I have:

Here is the Titanium version of the same watch:

And here is the red version of the aluminumn cased model that I have:

IMHO, it is also arguably the best looking design (suunto included). The current ones have a leveling blister which some say mars the style of the case. There are also two older versions which are all black polyurethane. The case is the same, but lacks the compass leveling bubble. One has a positive screen and the other has a negative one. If you don't like it, search on Amazon for the prior generation of the watch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts