WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask if such a service even exists, I'm interested in hiring a watch in London, but does anyone do this anywhere in the world? I tried a forum search, and also google, but there wasn't anything too interesting I found. Only a company that hires out vintage watches for films etc, but it all didn't look too reputable.

Has anyone had any experience with hiring watches? (along the lines of companies that hire out handbags for a monthly fee of 10% of the value)

Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
This should be a business the watch makers or AD'a are in, renting out excess inventory. I can't imagine such a low volume business would make the low margins worth it.

I've thought about a business like this in the past but the startup overhead (buying the watches) would put enormous pressure to generate a return which in my mind is unrealistic.

As a distressed company level private equity investor I would not be interested in backing something like this.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've never heard about a service like that, but I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work. I just read an article about the fact that hiring things is becoming more and more common here in Finland: hiring art and design clothes/shoes seems to be especially popular. If it's ok to hire clothes, it should be ok to hire watches.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
People have discussed starting services like these here in the past, and there seems to be too many issues to resolve to make the business model work. Insurance costs would be high, as the renter could drop or badly scratch the watch in seconds. High end watches are completely different than cars or power tools. Also different from traditional jewelry as they have the delicate mechanical component.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's enlightening, I'm much obliged for your answers. Here I was hoping I could add a touch to my ensemble that might make a few meetings in the coming months go better. That's before I buy my first proper watch (which in the case of it being a Stowa would mean I'd still have to wait a few months)

·
Registered
100 Posts
tbh I dont think a watch has ever won a pitch or got the lady.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Everything one hires requires a deposit.....What would the deposit be on a high end watch? AND if you could afford the deposit you can afford the watch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Deposit can quite often be credit card, which means I don't actually have to have the money as long as I don't wreck whatever I'm hiring.

And Deano, I realise I sound superficial, but with some of the people I deal with in the industry I'm in, well, they will notice a speck of dirt on your shoes. They are as observant as Sherlock Holmes, they'll have their opinion of you formulated within a few seconds of seeing you. Wearing a Timex or a Lange will let them read you the way you want them to.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Not one I would probably go for. I understand your position but I reckon this will be a hard one to find. Are there alternatives of a similar appearance you can find? Perhaps from brands that are quite below the radar to mitigate the judgement factor?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the thought; and well, at the moment I'm hunting for a suitable watch within my budget; I've pretty much settled on the Stowa Antea KS with a croco strap. I haven't seen anything that would be cheaper and look unique enough to make a good subconscious impression. Which means I'll have to wait till the end of April to get it..

I just need to make my mind up about how important that first impression will be with some of those people. Maybe I just won't wear a watch at all, and then once I receive my Antea it might get noticed.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Maybe I'm in the minority, but for me the first impression should be the only impression. If I can't (or choose not to) wear an expensive watch, then so be it. I choose not to associate with people that will judge me on appearances, and when I am forced to be in the company of such people, then will see me for who I am.

I wear t-shirts and pants that I buy at wal-mart, a pair of 3 year old nike tennis shoes, and an omega or suunto, depending on my mood. If someone looks down on me because of my clothing type, then that's their problem. I won't rent or "hire" expensive items just to make myself appear affluent.

I prefer "genuine" over "rich" any day.

Thanks for the thought; and well, at the moment I'm hunting for a suitable watch within my budget; I've pretty much settled on the Stowa Antea KS with a croco strap. I haven't seen anything that would be cheaper and look unique enough to make a good subconscious impression. Which means I'll have to wait till the end of April to get it..

I just need to make my mind up about how important that first impression will be with some of those people. Maybe I just won't wear a watch at all, and then once I receive my Antea it might get noticed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I'm in the minority, but for me the first impression should be the only impression. If I can't (or choose not to) wear an expensive watch, then so be it. I choose not to associate with people that will judge me on appearances, and when I am forced to be in the company of such people, then will see me for who I am.

I wear t-shirts and pants that I buy at wal-mart, a pair of 3 year old nike tennis shoes, and an omega or suunto, depending on my mood. If someone looks down on me because of my clothing type, then that's their problem. I won't rent or "hire" expensive items just to make myself appear affluent.

I prefer "genuine" over "rich" any day.
I wholeheartedly agree with what you wrote; my parents brought me up well and I don't like snobbism. My only problem here is that I encounter many people that can help me advance my career, who are in fact very conscious of the image of the person they speak to. Up to a month ago I wore cool t-shirts with jeans and converse, and managed ok; but when over Christmas I upgraded a bit (fitted shirts, good shoes, together with jeans) I suddenly had an immensely better response from the people I meet casually on a daily basis - which has led to more work. I am aiming high, and I've managed to get some meetings with the industry leaders, and just think of it, although it makes me cringe, if I look successful it will shorten the lead time to what I want to achieve. I know I'll get there, but I want every little help I can get to speed it up.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Well you could always get a good looking watch that isnt necessarily high end or a big name brand. There are lots of lower-mid range brands nowadays that have very good looking pieces that most of them time unless you look really closely or inspect with a loupe you cant see the compromises, in many cases, there arent too many at all, it probably wont say swiss made, and thats about it. I would suggest you try and go that route instead. Also worth considering are vintage watches. You can get a real nice vintage watch for cheap and still be able to wear high quality watches.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Rappers hire jewelry for their music videos all the time. There has to be a service out there. I'd honestly think your best bet would be to go to a high end used watch dealer and explain your situation. I think if anyone could help you out, they could.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Pick a high-end watch you really like, then find a place that will let you finance it with easy monthly payments.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Not sure how you missed this but you doing better because you're wearing fitting shirts and shoes is not because you look more successful, it's more that you no longer dress like a kid/slob/yob/fresh out of sixth-form/college/university/whatever.
Dressing appropriately is not the same as dressing to impress and the feeling I am getting is that you are hoping that a nice watch will impress.

If that is the sole reason for getting a watch, then I'm not sure what to say to that.

Incidentally, what is it that you do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Not sure how you missed this but you doing better because you're wearing fitting shirts and shoes is not because you look more successful, it's more that you no longer dress like a kid/slob/yob/fresh out of sixth-form/college/university/whatever.
Dressing appropriately is not the same as dressing to impress and the feeling I am getting is that you are hoping that a nice watch will impress.

If that is the sole reason for getting a watch, then I'm not sure what to say to that.

Incidentally, what is it that you do?
What I meant is, looking a bit more respectable has garnered a bit more respect. My problem has been that the position I'm in commands more from me than I would like to give, with people having certain expectations. A brief explanation to this being the surname I grew up with.

As to the watch, I want it to be part of my ensemble; it's not meant to be expensive, it's meant to fit well and show foresight. I wouldn't use the word impress here, more like satisfy (other people). I've already strayed quite far off the topic, so I'll just add one last thing in answer to what I do, I work in the fringes of the fashion world, currently in the management side.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts