WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
The "significant other" is not interested in watches--after trying to give her several "nice" watches, she finally liked a small Citizen Eco-Drive, which she wears on such occasions when a wrist watch would be preferred to her Smartphone, which is not often...

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
My wife isn't huge on watches, but when she does think about them is practical and prefers quartz.

She strongly dislikes watches that are made especially for women and cannot stand small watches encrusted in precious and semi-precious stones (I think a growing number of women think the same way).

She does like clean lines and, sometimes, chronographs. Size-wise she'll wear anything 34mm up to around 40mm.

I've bought her Rado, Raymond Weil and Omega watches, among others.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I thought the DJ was the be all and end all of watches but my SO at the time had other ideas and picked a Rotary out For herself.
Sounds familiar. I'd like to buy my wife a zinger but she prefers more modest and unfussy options. I suppose I should be grateful that she's not OTT.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
My ex was into diamonds - a Rolex would have been a far cheaper option.
Diamonds are the biggest marketing deception of the last century. They're as commonplace as beans but have had an entire industry built around them to give the impression of luxury.

While it's true that a lot of expertise goes into selecting, cutting and polishing the better ones, the basic substance itself is pretty much worthless. That's why we find diamonds everywhere and in everything. Pure 24K gold is far, far, rarer, as are stones such as sapphire and Tanzanite. Diamonds, though? No.

My wife understands all this but even then says that a diamond engagement ring was de rigeur. Why? "Tradition."

That's what sustains a lot of the luxury market from jewellery to watches: layers and layers of marketing that creates a fog of illusions that buyers are happy to lose themselves in. We are so complicit in this deception that people will stand up and defend brands because when a brand (or product) has the veil pulled away they feel that they themselves are being denuded.

Reactions: BarracksSi

·
Premium Member
73,555 Posts
Diamonds are the biggest marketing deception of the last century. They're as commonplace as beans but have had an entire industry built around them to give the impression of luxury.

While it's true that a lot of expertise goes into selecting, cutting and polishing the better ones, the basic substance itself is pretty much worthless. That's why we find diamonds everywhere and in everything. Pure 24K gold is far, far, rarer, as are stones such as sapphire and Tanzanite. Diamonds, though? No.

My wife understands all this but even then says that a diamond engagement ring was de rigeur. Why? "Tradition."

That's what sustains a lot of the luxury market from jewellery to watches: layers and layers of marketing that creates a fog of illusions that buyers are happy to lose themselves in. We are so complicit in this deception that people will stand up and defend brands because when a brand (or product) has the veil pulled away they feel that they themselves are being denuded.
I know how common diamonds are but try telling that to someone who has the DJ marked down as “ugly”

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,485 Posts
(btw, you guys like how the Fitbit is three minutes slow? POS needs to be synced with her phone one of these days...)

·
Premium Member
38,791 Posts
Very nice. Great both of you can enjoy your watches together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts