WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,142 Posts
All three watches were made by Vostok. Thet's the name written on the first two and represented by the circled 'B' logo on the third, which bears the name 'Komandirskie' (i.e. 'for the Commander'). This was a watch designed for military use and usually only sold in military shops, although by the time your watch was made, they were starting to export to Europe. All of your watches were made for the domestic market.

The watch with the sub-dial and date window is the oldest dating from some time between the mid 1960s and mid 1970s. The design on which it is based dates back to the 1940s. The movement designation is 2605.

The gold cased watch is from the late 1970s or 1980s, I think. The Art Deco/Bauhaus design themes persisted longer in the USSR than in other places. The movement designation is 2409.

As NoLeftTurn said, the Komandirskie is from the early post-Soviet period (hence the lack of country-of-origin marks). The movement designation is 2414 (like a 2409 with date window).

They are all solid, hard-wearing watches but would probably benefit from being serviced if you intend to wear them on a regular basis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies and interesting information,
My friend got me these as a very kind gift, I only asked her if she could get me an 'Komandirskie' or something like that,
I do not wear a watch, its a time thing, but my mate has a Rolex a very expensive Rolex and he told me how much it cost to service it, (over £1,000)
As my friend was coming on holiday I asked if she could look to buy me one. So next time I have dinner with him, I can tease him over the cost.

And as much as I love the watches, I feel I am in debt to her as I do not know how much she might have paid for them. If any one has a rough idea, please pm or post on here. As to the watches I will have them cleaned and find some nice straps for them.

I have enjoyed all the posts and pictures that I have read on here. This is why I love the internet ! :)

'

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Thank you both for your replies and interesting information,
My friend got me these as a very kind gift, I only asked her if she could get me an 'Komandirskie' or something like that,
I do not wear a watch, its a time thing, but my mate has a Rolex a very expensive Rolex and he told me how much it cost to service it, (over £1,000)
As my friend was coming on holiday I asked if she could look to buy me one. So next time I have dinner with him, I can tease him over the cost.

And as much as I love the watches, I feel I am in debt to her as I do not know how much she might have paid for them. If any one has a rough idea, please pm or post on here. As to the watches I will have them cleaned and find some nice straps for them.

I have enjoyed all the posts and pictures that I have read on here. This is why I love the internet ! :)

'
Well I can tell you they are certainly cheaper than a Rolex.:)

New Komandirskies are still sold today, they sell for $40-50 most places. Hard to put a price on the older ones, but I would say they are about the same. Getting them cleaned up should be easy (they may run just fine without a cleaning, looks like they only need a quick polish of the crystal), straps will be 18mm in width for the dirskie (the others are probably 18mm but I cannot say for sure).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi Kre8tive, welcome on the forum and congratulations on this very nice gift! I wish I would have friends kreative enough to find me such gifts (not always bottles, flowers, shirts, books... ;-) Thanks Chascomm for a very informative history lesson!
To your other question, these watches (used) can be found even much cheaper than 40-50$, but unexperienced buyer can be ripped off. I hope your friend was not. But cheaper than rolex anyway (except turkish rolex, which are in the same price range - 40-50). And pelase post pics after you get your watches cleaned and strapped. Be aware, however, a professional cleaning by watchmaker can cost you more than a new komandirskie. If that's not acceptable to you, you can DIY cleaning with some toothpicks, paper towels and very little alcohol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts