WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amigos,, I've hit a major financial goal and would like to reward myself...I'm looking for a dress watch that has the following characteristics: 1) Must be a dress watch that will go well w/a suit (2) Be able to engrave a saying on the back of the watch (3) preferably under $2,500 - I'm one of the last of the Sam Walton/Warren Buffet, my license plates should say "frugal". (4) I like timers, i.e. countdown timers and alarms, however not absolutely necessary. Note:; If need be I can go higher on price. Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Given your budget will probably get more responses in the public forum.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Moved to Public.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you want it engraved, you'll want a solid caseback. the majority of mechanical dress watches in this price range have an exhibition caseback, so quartz is logical. I'd go for a solid gold Rotary quartz.

·
Premium Member
21,877 Posts
Consider the JLC Master Memovox.

But, the caseback, while solid, is not engravable, and the price is substantially higher than $2500.

If you are willing to forgo the timers requirement, then a Zenith Elite Ultrathin can be had around your price point, and some of the models have a caseback that is suitable for engraving. Another more expensive possibility is the JLC Reverso, which allows you to flip over to your engraving without removing your watch.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Despite some of the ridiculous suggestions here there are surprisingly a lot of watches available at your price bracket.
I would personally suggest a vintage Rolex Datejust;

Various Cartiers;

IWC Portofino;

Various others are available but the key is the solid caseback.
Rolex/Cartier is your best bet.

·
Premium Member
21,877 Posts
Despite some of the ridiculous suggestions here there are surprisingly a lot of watches available at your price bracket.
I'm not sure what you find ridiculous about the suggestions above, but if the OP is willing to go vintage, then there are JLC Memovoxes to be had in his price point and I believe some of the older models do have plain solid casebacks.

Reactions: faiz

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm not sure what you find ridiculous about the suggestions above, but if the OP is willing to go vintage, then there are JLC Memovoxes to be had in his price point and I believe some of the older models do have plain solid casebacks.
The suggestion that he should triple or quadruple his budget?
$2500 is a valid budget that could meet a large amount of watches if you are willing to shop around.

Your's was a great suggestion, I'd love a memox.
Classy and timeless piece.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The suggestion that he should triple or quadruple his budget?
$2500 is a valid budget that could meet a large amount of watches if you are willing to shop around.

Your's was a great suggestion, I'd love a memox.
Classy and timeless piece.
Since he is getting this watch to commemorate a personal milestone, I'm guessing he would want a brand new watch. And originally this was posted in High End forums and if he wants a high-end watch with alarm, yeah I stick with my suggestion of tripling his budget. And even for a Memovox, probably one of the least expensive mechanical watches with alarm in high-end zone, he is looking at 8k+ for a brand new one :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Since he is getting this watch to commemorate a personal milestone, I'm guessing he would want a brand new watch. And originally this was posted in High End forums and if he wants a high-end watch with alarm, yeah I stick with my suggestion of tripling his budget. And even for a Memovox, probably one of the least expensive mechanical watches with alarm in high-end zone, he is looking at 8k+ for a brand new one :)
Whilst this is true I don't think it's a very fair for somebody to give a budget and the suggest quadrupling it.
Admittedly ridiculous is a bit strong.

You could get a Vulcain 50's president cricket for just under $4000;

For the price it's hard to beat.
There's enough room on the back to put spiral wording around the outside.

·
Premium Member
32,556 Posts
I believe there are a couple of Zenith's as well with solid case backs as another option.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
There is also the Omega Deville Prestige line (non 8500 movement) that has solid casebacks, perfect for engraving!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts