WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my kadloo ocean millennium in the mail Friday night, set it and have been wearing it since.

I kept the plastic on the case back and wore it while sweating etc...

Anyhow I guess some sweat got trapped under the plastic and corroded 2 little spots on the caseback.

Can stainless steel really rust that quickly if sweat is trapped against it for a day or two?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The rust wiped off easily but it left a dark grey/black spot that won't come off, you can see it in the pic below right near the cutout on the caseback.

Couple other members have this watch and I haven't seen any complaints so I'm guessing it was some water/sweat that got under the plastic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357581590.662628.jpg

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
can you try to remove with a scotch-brite pad?? maybe it's the glue and rust and sweat mix....

on an unrelated topic, i bought an ocean class and as soon as i "unboxed" it, i noticed the rotor was completely lose and the little screw was rattling around in the case... not good, 0 for 2.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you try to remove with a scotch-brite pad?? maybe it's the glue and rust and sweat mix....

on an unrelated topic, i bought an ocean class and as soon as i "unboxed" it, i noticed the rotor was completely lose and the little screw was rattling around in the case... not good, 0 for 2.
Won't be able to try that till after work.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Well I know nothing about this watch so I googled it. I did so on the rationale that if it was a $50 piece I wouldn't reply and muse to myself that sometimes you get what you pay for.

However your watch has a MSRP of $895 from what I can see so this is completely unacceptable. I wouldn't tell the story you have on here. I would just take it back and ask for a replacement.

Regards,

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
not sure if you're referring to mine or to G26okie, but I sent my back and ask for full refund.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure if you're referring to mine or to G26okie, but I sent my back and ask for full refund.
Not specifically you, I know there are a few others out there. This is really the only issue I have had with the watch. I can live with a black spot but not if its going to rust all the time lol. Ill check it over the next day or 2 and if nothing ill consider it fine.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol well if my rotor was loose I would definitely send it back.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Is it really possible for a stainless steel watch to get a rust spot in just 2 days after coming into contact with some moisture? I wonder if there was something on the watch already that maybe you didn't notice when you first put it on.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it really possible for a stainless steel watch to get a rust spot in just 2 days after coming into contact with some moisture? I wonder if there was something on the watch already that maybe you didn't notice when you first put it on.
Well I'm going to keep it moist lol and see if something happens.

·
Premium Member
21,820 Posts
It's not just the moisture, but the salt in sweat that accelerates the corrosion process.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,620 Posts
Not specifically you, I know there are a few others out there. This is really the only issue I have had with the watch. I can live with a black spot but not if its going to rust all the time lol. Ill check it over the next day or 2 and if nothing ill consider it fine.
Two days does not seem like enough time for a bit of body sweat to corrode stainless steel. Especially in winter. Were you working with some strong solvents or could it have been delivered with those spots?

When you say rust does that mean the raised oxidized surface most of us think of?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No it wasn't raised and gritty, it just looked like the metal was discolored brown in the shape of a drop of liquid kinda. It wiped right off.

I wasn't working with anything weird that I can think of.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
It's not just the moisture, but the salt in sweat that accelerates the corrosion process.
If the case back, in some point in it's life, came into contact with a piece of non-stainless steel, and minute traces of iron were left on the surface, those spots can rust when exposed to the right conditions.

This is likely a minor issue, and is easily resolved.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the case back, in some point in it's life, came into contact with a piece of non-stainless steel, and minute traces of iron were left on the surface, those spots can rust when exposed to the right conditions.

This is likely a minor issue, and is easily resolved.
TBH it looked like one speck of something had corroded and then "dripped" down.

It occurred in the lettering of the engraving on the caseback so it is entirely possible some stray metal was left over.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts