WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I guess it had to be somebody! After cursing my luck for missing the Fedex guy, he was good enough to leave a package on my doorstep.

My better camera is off with my girlfriend so this is the best I could do, sorry... ;-)

These are just for those who were looking for comparison shots.

My brief review:

-Build quality is very nice. Seems better than my 800Ti but that may be a Ti machining thing

-Watch is big! As you can see this is very comparable to the Omega PO 45.5 in size...and weight

-Face seems a little paler orange than the 800Ti which I loved so much. Pretty but less fiery

-Lettering font is a bit thinner than the 800Ti as well, more 750Tlike I'd say

-Power reserve is bigger than expected, but not obtrusive...it's actually kind of cool!

-Hands do indeed have the issue with the sides being unpainted although I don't think I'd have noticed if someone hadn't mentioned it.

-Case is interesting. More rounded, even the sides and top of bezel where there were flat surfaces before. I like it, different and shows difficulty of design but still very Doxa.

-Bracelet is my least favorite part I must admit. Loses some of the specialness of the BOR or 5 link and polished center links ala Rolex GMTII push it a little too far from its tool roots.

Overall, a very nice effort from Doxa. Despite a few design choices not being exactly my cup of tea, they managed to pull off a very nice evolution of their line without throwing away their tradition. The unpainted hand sides are a little unfortunate, but not really noticable.

Better pics when I get them

Deacon

More pics with my girlfriend's camera that cost half of what mine did! :-d

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Re: Hmmm, I guess I'm the first...Sub 4000T

Congrats!
It looks good.

-Hands do indeed have the issue with the sides being unpainted although I don't think I'd have noticed if someone hadn't mentioned it.
That's a bit disappointing to me.

I noticed a thing that doesn't match with pics posted by DOXA. On yours 4000T 12 hour bezel dot is black like on 800t. On deco part it should be orange and under it should be luminova. :-s
Did i missed something that was posted earlier? :think:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

Deac, I mean it wholeheartedly when I say, ENJOY!...however, it's just not really singing to me.:-s

I'm a die-hard Doxa fan and this is the first watch they put out that I can honestly say does ZERO for me. I wish it did 'cause it looks well-built, but...:think:

·
Registered
268 Posts

I wonder if the markings on the bezel are also bigger than the standard Doxa markings?

I like that dial size.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts

I really like the domed/sloped bezel and what seems to be a domed crystal. I hope the sapphire bezel duplicates that or I will have to change my order. I love fluid lines and curves in big watches as opposed to the angular hunkachunka watches featured by so many other companies favored on WUS. Maybe it is a reflection of my love for Italian sports cars (and Italian women). Nice progression by Doxa, beautiful classic new curves and fluid lines that minimize the bulk of the watch. Still not sure about the bracelet; but then, I've always wanted Doxa to offer an accessory BOR bracelet for the 5000T models, which I adore. Would love to see this watch with the 300T Re-Issue bracelet. (Doxa, please bring that bracelet back on another watch, pretty please.)

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks all!

The dial size is awesome! It's a great palette for showing off the orange. The crystal is indeed curved and, much like the Deepsea, forms a very nice domelike structure with the now curved bezel.

In fact, there's not a straight line on the thing! Every surface on the case is curved in a slightly exciting way.

Cabaiguan, I can certainly understand. Side by side with the 800Ti, the 4000T looks much less tooly which is one reason I wished they'd kept the bracelet from the 5000T. It borders on fashion watch but the black markers and tech bezel save it from going all disco on us.

If it had come with the 5000T's silver markers, well... ;-)

Deacon

·
Registered
160 Posts

Now if they would just post a picture of the Sharkhunter I might be ready to buy one.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

Maybe pictures aren't doing justice to this watch. I can't really make out all the "curves" being discussed. I can now see what Boots is saying about a curved bezel...sort of. This is when I wish there was a Doxa AD to see the watch in the flesh...

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yes, to PCLs. I think it would look better without but that's just a personal opinion! :)

Cab, I guess the biggest ones are:

1. The sides. A typical Doxa case looks like it was cut out with a cookie cutter from a solid oval cylinder (if that's geometrically possible) when viewed from above. These straight sides are now rounded.

2. The bezel now forms a dome rather than, again, a cylinder.

Overall, it rounds out the blocky Doxa lines just a bit. The overall effect is to "smooth" the watch, make it look more geometrically complex. Arguably it might make it less rugged looking, but the effect isn't overdone.

The shiny bits in the bracelet on the other hand, especially since the center links are bigger proportionally than in, say a Rolex bracelet, bling up the watch just a bit more than I'd like.

If I could fit this into a 5000T bracelet or even a nice Zixen mesh, and I'd do it in a second! :)

Deacon

·
Registered
4,258 Posts

Congrats!
I noticed a thing that doesn't match with pics posted by DOXA. On yours 4000T 12 hour bezel dot is black like on 800t. On deco part it should be orange and under it should be luminova. :-s
Did i missed something that was posted earlier? :think:
You're right. The lume dot doesn't match the Doxa 4000T official press photos; I noticed that too.

Congrats to the OP on your new arrival.

·
Registered
543 Posts

I couldn't tell much from Doxa's own photos. But luckily it seems as if Doxa doesn't take good pictures, and these new shots from Deacon reveal a complete new beast that I like very much.
So, DOXA, you need to send the next 4000T Sharkhunter with sapphire bezel to Deacon and ask him to take and post the official photos !!!
While I couldn't see at all from the first photos what was so new and different, Deacon's first shot from above and next to the 800T shows it all.....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Congrats on your new 4000T Pro. Hmm...CPL, I am not sure now even if it has sapphire bezel. Though if it is PCL with BOR, then it would be sweet.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

Yes, to PCLs. I think it would look better without but that's just a personal opinion! :)
I agree. I was ready to order one yesterday until I discovered they have PCL's. I don't get that on tool watches and the photo released by Doxa does a poor job of showing them. I would have been irate if I had ordered and found out the hard way.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.