WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard about HMT from this forum, and found it's made in India.

Being a flieger man, low price made be to buy one of them.

Having more than a year, so far there has been trouble free.

My only complain is its size without crown 34mm.

personally made vintage leather strap

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can agree to that.

·
Premium Member
9,008 Posts
They are a smoking hot deal.If you put the Pilot watch on a flieger that may help visually with the size.A Fossil store would be a good place to find a flieger or Cuff strap.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
That strap looks great! I recently gave my Pilot to me Dad - he loves it and it has become his daily wearer but I really miss it :(

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
That strap looks great! I recently gave my Pilot to me Dad - he loves it and it has become his daily wearer but I really miss it :(
I'm sure one of our friends in India can eventually track down another Pilot for you, but from what I've been reading it may take them a while.

To the OP: yes, it's a little on the small side given today's tastes for larger watches, but you have to keep in mind the design dates back to the 1960s -- and in those days, 34mm was the typical size for a man's watch. Personally, I think the fact that it's been virtually unchanged in the last 50 years or so adds to its charm and desirability. Glad to hear you've been enjoying yours -- I've had mine almost a year and absolutely love it!

Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
Getting hold of a pilot in India is quite tough. It seems to be available in Jan or Feb of 2011. I got a chance to speak to some watchshop owners. They told me that pilots will sell almost immediately when they restock it. There is a lot of demand for them. It's a great watch for close to $12. It's known to last for more than 25yrs without any problems.

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
The Pilot is and always will be my favorite ultra-affordable :-! The strap looks great too!
"Ultra Affordable" , I love this phrase.

Monetarily, yes they are ultra affordable, but if you count in the efforts to grab them, will it be "Ultra Affordable" ?:think:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting hold of a pilot in India is quite tough. It seems to be available in Jan or Feb of 2011. I got a chance to speak to some watchshop owners. They told me that pilots will sell almost immediately when they restock it. There is a lot of demand for them. It's a great watch for close to $12. It's known to last for more than 25yrs without any problems.

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk
Hi,
the pilot is available by the load in lucknow and i am sure at all HMT run outlets and now in metro post offices. I picked a pilot and a sona black dial yesterday for INR 750/850 after a discount of 15% valid 31st march 2012. theor new edition ADSL and asl ar great looking. but nothing to beat the mechanicals.

·
Registered
881 Posts
"Ultra Affordable" , I love this phrase.

Monetarily, yes they are ultra affordable, but if you count in the efforts to grab them, will it be "Ultra Affordable" ?:think:
OK, first, I like HMT and I have four of them. But this post really makes an important point. These are $12 watches, but on eBay for North American's at least, the price is $30-$40 after shipping. IMHO, these watches are not the same quality as say an Orient Mako.

But, they have "history", a pretty much in-house movement, they're small (if you like small) and relatively thin. The winding doesn't feel particulary smooth, rather feels like something that's probably going to last 25 years without any trouble. I've had absolutely no problem with any Indian watch - which is more than I can say for my Chinese. These are real WIS watches.

·
Registered
380 Posts
To the OP: yes, it's a little on the small side given today's tastes for larger watches, but you have to keep in mind the design dates back to the 1960s -- and in those days, 34mm was the typical size for a man's watch. Personally, I think the fact that it's been virtually unchanged in the last 50 years or so adds to its charm and desirability.

Mike
That is the WHOLE charm of the watch for me. I love these archaic, beautifully sized watches and personally, loathe the large, flashy styles of most mechanical watches on offer nowadays.

35mm was the standard size of watches for men from the thirties to the late 1960s and probably before, but I don't know about them. Who wants a huge manacle on his wrist? Not me.

I ordered a nice, 'new' HMT Pilot on Ebay yesterday and got a note to say it was posted first class already so it might arrive tomorrow. It was listed as NEW and unworn, but appears to have been sold to its present owner as a new watch by another ebayer. I spotted his purchase of it on ebay in February while looking at his reputation. Anyway, at £19.99 with £2.50 postage, I won't be complaining taht he had it in a drawer for a couple of months.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Received my HMT Pilot this morning. Very pleased and pleasantly surprised by the look and feel of it. Good quality and a very nice strap - much better than the cheap Chinese straps I have had, and even better I think than the strap on my £80 Sea-Gull M177s.

I will be interested in how accurate it is, but it has kept dead on time in the last three hours not moving a second off the quartz reference watch I used to set it with. Early days, but it looks good so far.

Yes - the lume looked at under a loupe looks like it was hastily painted on by hand (which I suppose it was) but observed without magnification, it is perfectly good.

For £19.99 plus £2.50 postage, this is a winner and a watch I won't me moving on in a hurry.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

In company with another two of my watches.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like my Pilot, it seems to be an extremely dependable watch. The one problem I have with it is the lume looks like the guy who painted it was drunk. The 12 is noticeably sloppy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes my '12' is a bit iffy too, but that's what happens when you ask someone to paint numbers onto a dial with a brush and ask them to produce them at speed. Mine is acceptable, and I suppose the hand painted nature of it is a plus. It would be neater if it had been sprayed on by an expensive machine, but the watch would have a little less soul maybe?

Mine is gaining seventeen seconds a day on the wrist so far. I don't feel inclined to mess with it too much, although I have now got my £10 tongji - auto movement, HK mushroom brand watch down to gaining only five seconds a day by adjusting it. That is a remarkable VALUE watch, but a bit big for my liking. It will be interesting to see which one runs for the longest without intervention. I bet it is the HMT though....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Popped off the press on back to do some minor regulation and the watch looks pretty well waterproofed in the sense of at least 'everyday waterproofing'. I wouldn't go swimming in it, but the back is very tight, has a rubber gasket and the stem has a rubber washer to prevent water coming in that way. I won't be trying it, but I bet if you accidentally got in the shower with this Pilot on, you'd have no issues with water getting inside it. It looks as well waterproofed as my 3ATM Tissot for sure. Whether I'll be dropping it in a bucket of water overnight for a test is another matter. I am rather impressed with this watch and very glad I bought it.

EDIT: A day later after this post, while I was regulating the watch, I noticed that the thing I thought was a rubber seal in the stem tube, was actually some kind of grotty sealant which to my horror was grinding away as the watch was wound and was falling into the inside of the watch and collecting around the tube inside the watch. I removed the movement and cleaned this rubbish out and found a small lump of sealant which is pictured below. The piece is about 2mm long by about 1mm wide. Sorry about the shadow. If you look carefully, you can see the actual squiggle of sealant. Fragments of this would have been ground up by winding the stem and would have fallen into the movement creating unreliable behaviour.

Stem tube grot:
Circle Macro photography Wood

1 - 18 of 18 Posts