1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi @avivalasvegas. HMT Watches was set up with the help of Citizen, and the japanese personally came to India to help set up the watch factory in Bangalore.
I have a small video on this -- unfortunately, being a newbie on the forum, cannot post it yet.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Nonsense, unless the author means to suggest that they will "appreciate" due to further degradation of fiat currencies. There are too many better quality, more collectible brands for HMT to ever benefit from some great demand boost.

·
Registered
363 Posts
No, Tony, I'm afraid I can't agree. HMT watches can only appreciate. Only because they're so cheap to start with that there's no room for them to depreciate!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
No, Tony, I'm afraid I can't agree. HMT watches can only appreciate. Only because they're so cheap to start with that there's no room for them to depreciate!
Need I really point out that there are countless things that are cheap, yet never appreciate?

Who do you imagine will ever catalyze a rise in values of HMT watches? The burgeoning Indian middle-class?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I've never put any value on HMT. One reason is because of the large numbers of junk ones that show up on Ebay, making it hard to know what a "good" one should look like. One Ebay seller from India gets 40-50 complaints a month and still manages to keep their account. But I blame the buyers for bidding on an auction that says that the watch was refurbished, and then they show photos of filthy watches. They claim to sell a lot of authentic Seiko, Citizen, Oris, etc.. and HMT, but most of their watches seem to have the same cheap movement with fake dials and fake cases.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Need I really point out that there are countless things that are cheap, yet never appreciate?

Who do you imagine will ever catalyze a rise in values of HMT watches? The burgeoning Indian middle-class?
To clarify, my comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek.Sometimes the written word doe't allow the reader to infer the writer's implication.:)
They're too cheap to depreciate, so what's left?
And if anyone infers that I'm having a pop at HMT, I'm not. I have a white pilot from the WUS group buy and I think it's a remarkable thing for the money.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
They're too cheap to depreciate, so what's left?
What's left? Remaining cheap, or "too cheap", if you prefer, as there is (again) no reason to believe that their values will increase.

I'm glad that you are happy with your purchase, but there are many other, better brands that are both undervalued and relatively inexpensive, and collectors will gravitate to those rather than less attractive ones.

Now, if you want to argue that for under $80 or $60 (etc.), HMT represent good value, perhaps you are correct. I just do not see any reason why a meaningful segment of the collector community might ever gravitating to a brand that produced very modest, unremarkable watches.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Sure HMT watches will appreciate in value, from $10 now to maybe $15 in a couple of years time. Don't get me wrong, they are ok for cheap and cheerful watches but I can't see them ever really being anything desirable, and there are so many out there that it's not as if they are hard to find or anything. I think the only way that they would ever really appreciate drastically in value would be if HMT got bought up by an investor and transformed itself into a modern luxury watch brand, kind of like how people want Glashutte watches now, but let's be frank, that isn't something that is likely to happen.

·
Registered
363 Posts
What's left? Remaining cheap, or "too cheap", if you prefer, as there is (again) no reason to believe that their values will increase.
Lighten up Tony.I agree with you. My comment was tongue in cheek, if English is not your first language, it is an idiom, it means that my comment should not be taken literally. No body is ever going to get rich on HMTs appreciating. Although I'd wager there are several guys in India getting rich selling knackered refurbished HMTs!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sorry your local jokes do not make sense to me :)

7 days till the end and its 78 GBP :D
I call this a rage because it's allready at 5x it's non-rage price

World Time Diver JUMBO 44mm SAKATA Hiroshimatic Vintage 1960 Tool Watch Divers | eBay
Personally I think that is less about a pin lever rage and more about the seller's description making it seem like it is some kind of high quality divers chronograph and the buyers not realising it is just a cheap pin lever watch.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
It's just one example :)
Do Your own search for how insane prices those pseudo divers with pin levers and plated cases goAdd broad arrow and it's double the rage :D

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
All this fuss over value leaves me cold. I appreciate the HMT brand because they made some attractive reliable watches at an affordable price for the Indian buyer. I have a few and they werent bought on speculation ( which would be nonsensical, but who knows in this crazy world ? ) but because I thought the watch was attractive and I had read HMT was well made and they are. Since they are now defunct Im particularly happy that I did so. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts