WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’ve been looking for my next strap when I came across one I am in love with visually. However, before spending 1/4 of the watch value on said strap, I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them? Here is the strap...

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/canvas-and-leather-watch-strap?variant=670094629

The threading looks like they would come apart with light use. I don’t mind spending the money if it will hold up well. I’ve bought Hadley Roma straps that are beautiful but come apart in a week of daily use at the office. Unacceptable to me. Hodinkees own description for this strap states it will last “a while.” Kinda has me worried.

Anyone tried this strap out and have input? Thanks!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't have this strap, but what's the point? It's got leather on it which might make it more comfortable but also means you don't want to get it wet or sweaty. I'd pass.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Hodinkee straps are usually well made. If you like it and can get cheaper elsewhere, do it. I wouldn’t hesitate to go Hodinkee though. You can get a 10% off coupon with newsletter signup. Check out redrockstraps first though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hodinkee straps are usually well made. If you like it and can get cheaper elsewhere, do it. I wouldn’t hesitate to go Hodinkee though. You can get a 10% off coupon with newsletter signup. Check out redrockstraps first though.
My canvas strap from red rock just arrived and I recommend it as well.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Anyone tried this strap out and have input? Thanks!
I had one, which I ended up selling. Is it worth $105? Yes, in my opinion, because the look is quite different from other canvas straps. It's unique, distinctive and if you like that look, its worth it. Will it hold up as well as a rolled canvas strap from a custom maker? I doubt it. But durability isn't the reason to buy it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had one, which I ended up selling. Is it worth $105? Yes, in my opinion, because the look is quite different from other canvas straps. It's unique, distinctive and if you like that look, its worth it. Will it hold up as well as a rolled canvas strap from a custom maker? I doubt it. But durability isn't the reason to buy it.
I agree I’m willing to pay for the looks I like them that much. However, if it won’t hold up to basic use at an office then, to me, why buy it? No, hardcore durability is not a reason to buy it but it has to be able to be worn without coming apart under basic use. Im not going to be wearing this on drill weekends or field visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
“Holds up” can be a bit misleading, too. No leather or fabric strap will last forever. They’re a consumable. Some will obviously last longer than others. Some will degrade over time even if you don’t wear them.

I agree I’m willing to pay for the looks I like them that much. However, if it won’t hold up to basic use at an office then, to me, why buy it? No, hardcore durability is not a reason to buy it but it has to be able to be worn without coming apart under basic use. Im not going to be wearing this on drill weekends or field visits.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
As mentioned redrockstraps make excellent canvas straps. The hodinki one is not to my liking at all. The leather liner will make the strap unbearable in hot weather or swimming. I have seen leather lined canvas straps for a fraction of the cost of this one.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Well I will give Hodinkee some credit, they finally lowered the price on that strap to be competitive. In the past multiple sites sold the same strap for less money, such as Bulang and Sons. Bear in mine, that is not a "Hodinkee" strap, that is a JPM strap made for Hodinkee and stamped with their logo.

OP I suggest googling JPM straps, you will be surprised the selection you will find from multiple sellers.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
The threading looks like they would come apart with light use. I don’t mind spending the money if it will hold up well. I’ve bought Hadley Roma straps that are beautiful but come apart in a week of daily use at the office. Unacceptable to me. Hodinkees own description for this strap states it will last “a while.” Kinda has me worried.

Anyone tried this strap out and havve input? Thanks!
What the heck are you doing to straps that they “come apart in a week of daily use at the office??” Give them a rest overnight. Wipe clean with a damp cotton cloth, tamp dry, then air dry. If you only have one watch, it’s difficult to give them a rest like you should with shoes, but that’s the dividend of being a WIS, you can switch out your watches day to day.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts

On this. But lately I’ve been wanting to get an SKX007 and I think it would look great with a tan canvas strap.

OK, I can see that strap looking good on that watch. While it seems kinda expensive I have to reflect that the strap on the watch I'm wearing cost me 195.00 but I feel it was worth the price. In the end it's all about your level of satisfaction and no one else's so I'd go get it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What the heck are you doing to straps that they “come apart in a week of daily use at the office??” Give them a rest overnight. Wipe clean with a damp cotton cloth, tamp dry, then air dry. If you only have one watch, it’s difficult to give them a rest like you should with shoes, but that’s the dividend of being a WIS, you can switch out your watches day to day.
Haha nothing literally just wearing them. I take it off before showering and place it back on gently. The threading came apart on that Hadley Roma cordura strap in a week. I guess I could have swapped it out for another watch but I was excited with the new watch and strap .

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I will give Hodinkee some credit, they finally lowered the price on that strap to be competitive. In the past multiple sites sold the same strap for less money, such as Bulang and Sons. Bear in mine, that is not a "Hodinkee" strap, that is a JPM strap made for Hodinkee and stamped with their logo.

OP I suggest googling JPM straps, you will be surprised the selection you will find from multiple sellers.
I will thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just as an update...my brothers got me the strap as a Christmas present. I wasn't expecting it so it very exciting. I love the box it came in and the strap looks amazing and smells like brand new leather. Here are pics of it and on my Seiko SARG007.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts