WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
What’s the point of releasing a 250 run at 8 am ? I mean who buys watches this way with 4 minutes to decide whether or not to drop 7 grand? That’s a lot of money. What a beautiful watch. Such a shame that Hodinkee and Tag decided to release it this way. I’m sure at least half of them went to flippers. The FOMO hype machine that Hodinkee is selling is getting really tiresome. This hobby is exhausting.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The watch is nice enough and im not remotely interested in the whole, why is it limited, why did it sell out so fast, etc stuff..

I just can't get excited over yet another vintage, re-issue. Does Hodinkee even need to design these watches or just send in a picture of the vintage model they wish to copy? They could make this watch a one-of-one in platinum and it will always be a homage to a Dato 45...nothing more.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Already popping up on eBay for 10k, crazy. I agree I think hodinkee should have allowed more time for people to think about the purchase, at least a day. But I did like the captcha was a little different, it had __ heuer and had to fill in tag. Maybe more detailed captchas will allow for the true collector to be able to grab the watch over the scalpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
The watch was supposed to be released at 8:00AM ET. I checked the HODINKEE Shop site at 7:45AM and the watch was posted early and had already sold out. That leaves a really bad taste in my mouth... if they say they will release at 8AM, it should be released then, not early. I am glad the watch is not for me...

·
Registered
666 Posts
The watch was supposed to be released at 8:00AM ET. I checked the HODINKEE Shop site at 7:45AM and the watch was posted early and had already sold out. That leaves a really bad taste in my mouth... if they say they will release at 8AM, it should be released then, not early. I am glad the watch is not for me...
Believe you misunderstood

It was listed as 'sold out - notify me etc' but in actual fact it was because it's yet to be listed for sale. The button was ineffective - you can't click on it

There was a countdown timer on the top of the button, counting down to 8 am.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Believe you misunderstood

It was listed as 'sold out - notify me etc' but in actual fact it was because it's yet to be listed for sale. The button was ineffective - you can't click on it

There was a countdown timer on the top of the button, counting down to 8 am.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Ah, well that was not clear. I'm just glad I did not ultimately want the watch. It is a great watch, but not for $7k+ retail (who know second hand). It is the right size, but I would be interested in a manual wind only. I guess I can seek out one of the older re-issues, but would prefer the 39mm case size of the modern.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What if I told you there's already an "reissue" of that watch?

I'm thinking reissue of the the Heuer Carrera Dato
Well you called it, exactly!

As I thought would be the case I'm in the "love the watch, hate the release strategy" camp. Completely understand why some would view reissues with scepticism, but for me given that those designs are timeless classics, there's enough in the small updates (the bigger size, an automatic movement, the chapter ring etc) to make it feel like evolution rather than pure laziness. I love how this looks. But at the same time doing a 250 run only (and I see only half of those were available today, the rest are going to boutiques) feels like needless scarcity designed to increase the hype. And the release approach is basically designed to play into the hands of scalpers. Even if they were set on such a small run, releasing details of the watch followed by a ballot or similar would be a much more equitable way of launching.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not really, I mean 5am is early but at least most people would not be expected to be at or on their way to work at that time, unlike 8am for East Coast buyers.
Or up. I wake up at 530 and it was sold out already. Pretty sure most working people especially with WFH are not up earlier than 6 or 7

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
But at the same time doing a 250 run only (and I see only half of those were available today, the rest are going to boutiques) feels like needless scarcity designed to increase the hype. And the release approach is basically designed to play into the hands of scalpers. Even if they were set on such a small run, releasing details of the watch followed by a ballot or similar would be a much more equitable way of launching.
Limited run products literally exist solely to create hype. It’s the same as those six figure, rainbow gem, precious metal sports watches, or haute horlogerie grand complications that cost more than most people’s houses. No one cares whether these pieces are “equitably” distributed. A small number of them will actually sell, but their main purpose is to grab people’s attention and, in this case, to shape popular perception of a brand that is trying not to be pigeonholed as the ‘80s-‘90s yuppie starter watch.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
23 Posts
boy did the west coast get screwed on this one
As someone on the West Coast that was my thought too. I wasn't waking up at 4:45am to maybe get a shot at a watch that maybe I was going to like at a price that was maybe going to even be acceptable. Why not release it at 11am EST like they did with the Blancpain FF?

Of course, the flip side is that they did do almost $1,000,000 of business in four minutes, so who needs the West Coast, or WUS readers, or WIS in general.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not that I am who this watch was marketed to, but I'm near that demographic in my overall desires regarding watches. I'm glad to see the diameter is moving in the right direction but believe it could still be two to three millimeters smaller. Hodinkee/Tag knew they were going sell the limited offering out in minutes, so why cater to the "bigger is better" crowd with a classic offering? With regard to height, I'm wholly unimpressed. A manual movement in these re-issues (also thinking about the artfully executed but not quite perfected Longines Heritage re-issues) would benefit wearability in a considerable way as well contribute to their charm as homage pieces.

Overall, I think Tag/Hodinkee did a decent job and am aware there are wholes in my opinion/argument. Again, my personal belief is that they (the market) is moving in the correct direction.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't like it at all, I know its a reissue but think it the dial looks horribly unbalanced with the single sub-dial chrono. Maybe this watch is intended for someone older than me (I'm no spring chicken either) who appreciated the original design?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts