WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Does anyone recommend any particular type of hole punch for leather on watch straps?

Will a bog-standard one do or are their ones made specifically for watchmakers? Bergeon?

Linkage appreciated. b-)
Have a look at ofrei.com.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Any leather shops around? All you need is a good quality hole punch the same diameter as the strap in question.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used a nail punch and a hammer, and when the strap is worn, you can't tell the new hole from the existing ones. Undo the strap, and you can tell, if you look close. If I were a collector, then I would buy the correct tool.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tandy Leather (in the US) sells an "Al Stohlman" set of very high quality leather punches, and they're periodically on sale, sometimes for half-price (they were when I bought mine!). Look for the "ASB Deluxe Punch Set, carbon steel, #35008-00." Tandy Leather Factory: http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?dept=206

The punches screw into a handle, and you use a mallet to strike the handle and punch the hole. One of the three smallest diameter punches would match any watch strap hole I've ever seen. These are very sharp, very nicely made, and IMHO they are far superior to any other leather punches, or the watch strap punch tools, even those from Bergeon. You can place the punch exactly where you want, and, unlike the rotary punches where the punch goes in on an angle, the punch can be set to be perpendicular to the strap.

One of those quality tools you buy once and never need to buy again. Works on belts, too, of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts