WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Off on our hols soon, which seemed like reason enough to buy a new watch. One of these is on the way, along with a couple of Zulu straps.

Seems to be the perfect holiday watch. Smart enough to look nice, cheap enough to be a beater, good water resistance, a chrono and a rotating bezel for timing things, quartz so no issues with magnetising and solar powered so it'll aways be ready to rock.

Hopefully it'll get here before I am off...

SSC021P1_LRG.jpg

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Holiday Watch

It's certainly different!

·
Registered
270 Posts

Off on our hols soon, which seemed like reason enough to buy a new watch. One of these is on the way, along with a couple of Zulu straps.

Seems to be the perfect holiday watch. Smart enough to look nice, cheap enough to be a beater, good water resistance, a chrono and a rotating bezel for timing things, quartz so no issues with magnetising and solar powered so it'll aways be ready to rock.

Hopefully it'll get here before I am off...

View attachment 1494498
I love these, I was tempted by the Pepsi red and blue, still on my list. I'm guessing the solar gear is similar to the Eco-Drive unit?
I think it's a great 'go to' watch, does everything most people ever want from a watch and still looks balanced and simple on the dial. Congrats.

..my name is John, and I read about watches..

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Somebody wishing they'd kept their Monsters? Hmm?...Hmmmmmm? ;-);-)
Maybe, a little... ;o)

I think this is better suited to my needs though, if only because it'll just keep ticking away with its solar power - well, that's my excuse anyway!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I love these, I was tempted by the Pepsi red and blue, still on my list. I'm guessing the solar gear is similar to the Eco-Drive unit?
I think it's a great 'go to' watch, does everything most people ever want from a watch and still looks balanced and simple on the dial. Congrats.

..my name is John, and I read about watches..
Thanks - yes, it works much like the EcoDrives and the ToughSolar GShocks...

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts

CIMG0054a.JPG

Good choice!

The only thing you have to bear in mind is that once you get it you might need to perform an all reset as indicated on the manual (crown out to the second stop and push both buttons for more than 3 secs). I have seen more than one of these including mine that act funny initially. These watches probably suffer the trip from Japan ... :-d

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for that. What does that actually reset? The timekeeping, hand alignment....?

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts

When I took mine out of the box it seemed dead, I thought it was in a sleeping mode but this watch does not have one. I put it outside in the sunshine for half an hour, nothing. Then I read the manual throughly, performed the all reset and the watch started and has not stopped since.
I believe I read here that it happened to somebody else and surely my nephew's one did the same. I assume the watches were subjected to a high magnetic field during the shipping.

The reset is needed only in case of a malfunction, the zero position of the hands (only the chrono actually) is a different operation.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Premium Member
32,431 Posts

Nice looking watch. Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
66,518 Posts

Enjoy your hols and Seiko. If you ordered it from the same place as the image came from it should only take about a week to reach you.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

I did. Always had great service from them, better than 1 week to be honest.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Enjoy your hols and Seiko. If you ordered it from the same place as the image came from it should only take about a week to reach you.
Ordered Thursday, arrived today! Amazing service, as always...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So it turned up today, and I am very impressed. As I am off on holiday soon I'll take it with me and post a full review when I get back, but my initial thoughts are:

Great "heft" for a quartz - feels like a mechanical when it's on
Really nice dial, great depth and very legible
Pierced lugs are always good!
The bezel's action is a little sloppy, but I am comparing it to a Submariner
Great lume, as always with Seiko divers
Can't really comment on the strap as it went straight on a Zulu

Enjoy the pictures:

SeikoSSC021P1OnBlackZulu.jpg

SeikoSSC021P1A.jpg

SeikoSSC021P1Lume.jpg

Reactions: Kilovolt and Orsoni
1 - 17 of 17 Posts