WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All!
I have come into possession of a pocket watch that belonged to an ancestor and can't find out anything about it online. Thus far I have not even been able to find even a mention of the Holland watch company, let alone the particulars of model, year etc. I have attached pictures and have come seeking your help.

What appears on the face of the watch:
Holland Railroader 17 jewels
Swiss

The lid on the back, interior
Keystone Victory 10K rolled gold plate 5098450 (number in a v formation)

on the interior parts of the watch:
swiss, unadjusted, seventeen jewels, FOB and Holland Watch Co.

Many Thanks
Roderic

Attachments

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,623 Posts
Greetings All!
I have come into possession of a pocket watch that belonged to an ancestor and can't find out anything about it online. Thus far I have not even been able to find even a mention of the Holland watch company, let alone the particulars of model, year etc. I have attached pictures and have come seeking your help.

What appears on the face of the watch:
Holland Railroader 17 jewels
Swiss

The lid on the back, interior
Keystone Victory 10K rolled gold plate 5098450 (number in a v formation)

on the interior parts of the watch:
swiss, unadjusted, seventeen jewels, FOB and Holland Watch Co.

Many Thanks
Roderic
That's got to be the nicest Railroad cash-in I've ever seen. |>

From the word 'Railroad' it is obvious the watch was intended for the North American market because the rest of us in the English-speaking world say 'Railway'. For Americans, a railroad-grade watch is something very special. Due to the vast distances in the US, mostly single-track routes with long stretches between sidings, but relatively heavy usage, accurate timing of rail services were literally a matter of life-and-death in the 19th Century. Thus were created a system of standard time-zones, later adopted by the rest of the world, and watches created for railway usage were the very best available.

But yours is not such a watch. Sorry. :-( Just as words like 'Chronograph' and 'Chronometer' have often been used to shift cheap watches, so too 'Railroad'. Note how it doesn't specifically say 'Railroad Grade'. However your watch looks like a decent mid-grade fully-jewelled watch. Properly serviced it should last forever. I'd estimate it to be mid 20th Century vintage, which seems quite late for a faux-Railroad.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Not railroad grade, Swiss 17 jewel movement probably imported to the US after World War II. Holland watch was probably a US based distributor of watches. FOB is a Swiss maker's 3 letter code but my books don't have it listed unfortunately.
Keystone is a US watch case maker, so the watch was probably cased in the USA.
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holland Watch Company was a brand marketed by Friedman's Jewelers. Friedman's used to have several locations in Augusta, GA. and I believe elsewhere. I'm not sure if the company still exists. They also marketed a Jacques Prevard watch which was considered a higher end model than Holland. Both lines used quality components.

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
Holland Watch Company was a brand marketed by Friedman's Jewelers. Friedman's used to have several locations in Augusta, GA. and I believe elsewhere. I'm not sure if the company still exists. They also marketed a Jacques Prevard watch which was considered a higher end model than Holland. Both lines used quality components.
Once the third largest jewelry chain in the US, the company recently went kaput.

It is interesting how many jewelry chains created house brands. Maybe we should start a thread listing them as we find them?

·
Banned
418 Posts
UT 429/435? I've got a few of these. Midland; Fairfax in a Fairfax case(Dorlin); West Point in an Invicta case; Beftmar(w/Cote de Geneve) in an Illinois, Boulevard (marked-M.A.Mead & Avia) in a Star; Boulevard (marked Mead) in a Stellar, etc. Some of these came from Canada. e

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nothing technical to add. I love that dial. EEeb, that would be a great resource for information. I have a book of all the jeweler pocket watchmakers going back to colonial America (american only though) and its proven priceless. An online link to jeweler watches would be great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
UT 429/435? I've got a few of these. Midland; Fairfax in a Fairfax case(Dorlin); West Point in an Invicta case; Beftmar(w/Cote de Geneve) in an Illinois, Boulevard (marked-M.A.Mead & Avia) in a Star; Boulevard (marked Mead) in a Stellar, etc. Some of these came from Canada. e
I own a Beftmar pocket watch. I googled Beftmar and you were the only person mentioning this watch. I didn't realize until I googled again that it was on this forum that I just singed up at and posted the question. Can you take a look at this thread. What do you know about Beftmar? Thanks. https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/need-help-vintage-pocket-watch-beftmar-554681.html

It says banned under your name, if that's true no chance of a reply to my question....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try contacting Holland Jewelers in Apex, NC. Phone (919) 362-6210. Web www.hollandsjewelers.com. They have had Swiss watches made for their family business for years. They are indeed beautiful pieces. If this is not one of their's their knowledge of watches is vast and they may be able to point you in the right direction, if not give you your answer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts