WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm making my old Pioneer turntable into a winder. I decided that 33RPM was too fast, so I found a 12VDC 50 RPM motor-it has a gear head. The pulley for it was made at work on the lathe. I put it together and ran. It turns about 1.8 RPM. The timer will control the turns per day-5 1/2 hours a day will give about 600 turns. It will be tilted about 30 degrees. That should be enough to make the rotors in the watches spin. The 3rd pic shows the cooling fan. I don't know if it's necessary, but it was just sitting there in the closet, so why not. And I had to cut a hole in the bottom because the motor was a bit long. The only problem so far is weight on one side while tilted makes the belt slip. The belt is so worn, it does not stretch or grip like rubber should. I mounted the motor farther away than the original to tighten the belt, but it still slips. I'll have to get a new one. But maybe if the weight is balanced, it won't slip. If that's the case, I'll have to keep an even # of watches on it-it will hold up to 4. When it's complete, I'll post more pics.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How do you plan to mount the watches to the "turn table"? If they aren't at a 45 degeree angle or more, many won't wind. Maybe it will run on it's edge.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, here it is. The Casio is not automatic-just thrown on there for the test run. The watches fit tight on the foam. The film canister has coins in it to balance the weight. If it's unbalanced, the belt will slip. Until I get a new belt, there's no other way. I mounted the Seiko 5 on the strap backwards to see if it's winding at that angle. It does.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Nice. I really like to see home projects. Why not if you are interested. Thanks for sharing!:-!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Very cool Bill, I like to see inventors at work, that is using the talent you were given to see something in your minds eye and go for it!|> |>
Regards
Robert

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
That's great Bill!
I applaud your ingenuity :-!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts