WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the size and look of the PAM187, but man it's awful expensive. I don't have a problem paying for quality, but I just can't justify going from a Breitling Super Avenger (3k) to the PAM187 (9k). Is there something I'm missing (please god I hope so). I really want the Panerai but man the price is just insane. Can anyone convince me that the Panerai is a better made watch?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I dunno about better made, but one thing I do know about the Breitling Super Avenger is that it's FUGLY!!!

Of course...these are my own thoughts...your mileage may vary.

BT

·
Registered
638 Posts
Lighten up! You come to a Panerai site and ask if a $9000 Panerai Chrono is better than a $3000 Breitling...what kinda answer did you expect?!!

So...you want constructive? How's this...I don't know many watches that are "worth" 9 grand, but as an SE model, the 187 is pretty damned cool. It's design is striking, it's a limited production watch and it's certainly gonna hold it's value forever, something that the Brietling will never do. Breitling is one of those brands that just strikes me as a watch you buy when you don't know much about watches and you wanna impress somebody and you end up getting it 'cuz it has a certain amount of name recognition and it's just "blingy" enough to get the point across. I see a lot of entry-level money guys with them on their wrists...they think they must have a nice watch on their arm to be taken seriously, so they buy whatever watch they remember from a magazine ad that costs under $2500, which apparently is a median level of pain a non-watch geek would be willing to spend for something they don't really wanna buy anyway!

How was that for constructive?!!

BT

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You come to a Panerai site
It's not.

Breitling is one of those brands that just strikes me as a watch you buy when you don't know much about watches and you wanna impress somebody and you end up getting it 'cuz it has a certain amount of name recognition and it's just "blingy" enough to get the point across. I see a lot of entry-level money guys with them on their wrists...they think they must have a nice watch on their arm to be taken seriously, so they buy whatever watch they remember from a magazine ad that costs under $2500, which apparently is a median level of pain a non-watch geek would be willing to spend for something they don't really wanna buy anyway!
Ok, you have a problem with Breitling. Great for you. I didn't ask about Breitling but for some reason you seem determined to trash the brand.

Ok thanks for signing your post I wasn't sure who posted.

Thanks for wasting my time. You are now placed on ignore.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's not.

Ok, you have a problem with Breitling. Great for you. I didn't ask about Breitling but for some reason you seem determined to trash the brand.

Ok thanks for signing your post I wasn't sure who posted.

Thanks for wasting my time. You are now placed on ignore.
I am new to this forum. I like to come here because it gets very lively and check out the pics. I think all the watch brands are great. Certain brands are not always to my taste but this shouldn't degrade the quality of a good watch. I like both the Breitlings and Pams and neither should be trashed. the watch should say something about the wearer not vice-verser. Think the Breitling looks great!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am new to this forum. I like to come here because it gets very lively and check out the pics. I think all the watch brands are great. Certain brands are not always to my taste but this shouldn't degrade the quality of a good watch. I like both the Breitlings and Pams and neither should be trashed. the watch should say something about the wearer not vice-verser. Think the Breitling looks great!

Also, hardee17 check some of the pre-owned it tends to be more affordable.

·
Registered
704 Posts
hardee17, the experience of owing a panerai (big heavy watch, clean minimal dial, leather strap...) has this particularly insane attraction to certian otherwise sound and sensible individuals.

I really think the PAM187 is that expensive because of their very limited numbers & people are actually parting with that kind of money for them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Boy...are you ever easy to piss off! Young man...you asked if anyone thought the 187 was better than a Breitling (so despite what you said, that DOES ask for a comparison!) and I was happy to offer my admittedly less-than-humble opinion. I'm sorry if I hit too close to home with that "entry-level money guys" crack...how are things are Citibank anyway?!! But as for me "trashing" Breitling, I just get sick to death of all the glad-handing that goes on in the watch forums where nobody EVER says what they really think about a certain watch! I'm never gonna say I think it's just groovy for somebody to drop serious coin on a watch that I may think ain't that great. But if you wanna ignore me and keep on buying uninteresting arm-candy, knock yourself out! I'll prolly survive...

BT (Oops...there I go signing my name again...Sorry!)

·
Registered
704 Posts
@ BT

That's what I like about you Brad, your expressive flair with words & straight honesty about what you think. Its a good thing.
:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
In the spirit of saying what we think, as Brad suggests. Will the price (as opposed to value) of Panerai outlive the "big watch" fad? Breitling, in my opinion a quality piece, maintains a consistent value, although a significantly lower percentage of purchase price than Panerai. After the big watch fad is over, where will Panerai stand in the new versus used price value analysis?

Bill

·
Registered
638 Posts
"...the "big watch" fad?"
Ummmm...I don't wanna give too big a shock to your system, but this ain't a "fad", this is a shift in the watch business! If you look at what most big name makers are coming out with, you very quickly see that Panerai isn't exactly the only premium watch company that realizes there is MAJOR money to be made by offering a man-sized product and I seriously doubt there will be a return to sub-40mm watches any time in the foreseeable future. Go into a Tourneau or Wempe and talk to a sales person...they will all tell you that when presented with two watches, one under and one over 40mm, most male buyers will choose the larger watch regardless of the manufacturer.

I can hardly wait for the day Rolex announces a 44mm Sub! It might just be enough to get me back!

BT

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
So are you basically saying that "Panerai cr.ps on Breitling"? Hmmm.....where have I heard something like this before? Hahahaha......:-d

MMT

I dunno about better made, but one thing I do know about the Breitling Super Avenger is that it's FUGLY!!!

Of course...these are my own thoughts...your mileage may vary.

BT

·
Registered
638 Posts
"...where have I heard something like this before? Hahahaha..."
Not exactly the same thing...I didn't go over to a Breitling forum and tell them all they were idiots for buying that particular watch, now did I?!!

As I said, if somebody asks, I'm not gonna pull punches if I think something needs to be said. Most of the time, I'll just sit back and watch the back-slapping that goes on after some poor bugger trots out his latest ill-conceived watch purchase, but I really think some of this has to stop. I'm the last guy to ask for an opinion if you have a fragile ego...

BT

·
Registered
719 Posts
i'm a owner of both breitling and panerai watches. of course, the breitling's i have are on the higher end, being the bentley's. i buy a watch because i like the look, plain and simple. i could care less what people think of me because of a watch i'm wearing. i buy it cause i like a certain look that makes me feel good in some odd way lol. panerai and breitling are totally different brands. i definitely consider panerai to be on a higher scale then breitling. i probably feel that way because they cost more money and because they are harder to find. there aren't as many dealers for pams as their are for breitlings. plus, you don't see any ads for pams either and you have to love that. this is the same reason why i won't wear certain brands like tag heuer. i can't go anywhere or read anything without seeing tiger in my face lol. and, most people don't even know the name officine panerai, like they do breitling. everyone has different reasons for buying the brands they do. i also own some audemars piguet watchs as well. i like those because i love the look and because they are another name that lots of people don't know about. i'm not a watch expert, so i can't really say if panerai is a better made watch then breitling. but, what i can say is that it's a kick ass looking watch. any watch is only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it. and, there are lots of people out there that are willing to pay for a pam, my self included. my thought is, if you have to ask your self if it's worth that much, then the officine panerai brand isn't for you. so move on fella lol.

I love the size and look of the PAM187, but man it's awful expensive. I don't have a problem paying for quality, but I just can't justify going from a Breitling Super Avenger (3k) to the PAM187 (9k). Is there something I'm missing (please god I hope so). I really want the Panerai but man the price is just insane. Can anyone convince me that the Panerai is a better made watch?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Agree with Hankr37, I buy watches because I like the way they look. Where I live, no one notes the way you dress or the watch you wear. We don't even have a pam AD in Perth. When I decided I'd wanted a PAM111 or 104 I waited for 4 mth because there was a queue, if you lived in Perth it's incredible & if did i tell anyone here i got on a queue to buy a watch they'll think i've fallen off my rocker for sure nevermind the price I would subsequently have paid for it. Then a PAM90 came available and I took it and brought it home, quietly.

Here's a pic of the PAM90 and a couple of Seiko Monsters. The pam is pictured with a home made strap but I went looking at some OEM straps in dec @ the AD & for the price of one strap I could buy the 2 Monsters with change. Is a strap really worth that much? i wondered. ultimately, I think it's a question only you can answer.
:)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The answer is clearly no! I can get a strap that costs US$250 from a well-known German watch brand, for nearly half the price from the original supplier. I seriously doubt that any watch company makes their own straps. They all buy them, sometimes even from the same suppliers.
The tricky part is to find out the suppliers company name. Naturally, the AD will be reluctant to help you regarding this question.

MMT

. . . Is a strap really worth that much? i wondered. . . .

·
Registered
704 Posts
The answer is clearly no! I can get a strap that costs US$250 from a well-known German watch brand, for nearly half the price from the original supplier. I seriously doubt that any watch company makes their own straps. They all buy them, sometimes even from the same suppliers.
The tricky part is to find out the suppliers company name. Naturally, the AD will be reluctant to help you regarding this question.

MMT
See that's because you're being smart, :-! & I wouldn't do it either. But I cross paths @ school with someone whose dad started the Proton car co. that now owns a big chunk of Lotus Plc that I know for a fact wouldn't blink twice at splurging out that sort of moolah.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The "Grin Factor" is what counts. How big was your grin when you brought it home and everyday thereafter when you put it on or look at it. IMHO this applies to all consumer products that fall outside the basic necessity range. If you like and can afford it; will you be grinning when you leave with it? Worth really becomes subjective... are you buying with resale in mind, as an heirloom to brighten the eyes of your child at some future date...to keep you on time everyday, etc... The bonus is that spouses or significant other not withstanding, you don't have to justify these decisions to anyone Just my .02.

John

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.