WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I was stumbling across Facebook earlier this evening about to pack in it for a night's rest I came across this interesting start-up. Assuming the figures they're giving are true it's an interesting look at the actual costs of producing a basic quartz powered dress watch. Under the pretense of sticking it to the middleman this outfit might just have more than a clever marketing ploy.

brathwait-concept1.png

Though the watch is nothing special overall (imo), I can admire the honesty and transparency.

BRATHWAIT | Slim Wrist Watch Minimalist Design

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Seeing cost breakdowns like that would be helpful. I wouldn't mind paying something like 50-60% of the sum towards the brand, I probably would mind if, e.g., it turned out that out of the $300 L&H Spectre price, the production costs were $30 (though I doubt that's the case ;) ).

But, say, the cost breakdowns they list lower, with exact price for the parts? I'd very much want to see that on all microbrands (and, indeed, non-micros too).
Untitled.jpg

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
When you walk into a watch shop there are hundreds of watches, of which a meaningful proportion you would be interested in owning.

On this website there's one watch and I don't want it.

So some of the $350 is going on:
(a) a store Jo Public can walk into
(b) a stock that Jo can browse
(c) a selection broad enough that Jo can find something she likes
(d) designers

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I imagine there is a good amount of truth in that information but things like "the only dials that cost more than $3.75 are those decorated with diamonds, gold or silver" are patently incorrect. This may be true for watches in the price range but not for plenty of more expensive watches. I bet AP would be positively giddy if they could produce a Royal Oak dial for $3.75.

In the end the higher one marches up the ladder of cost into the luxury range, and beyond, for any item the more the cost to produce drifts away from the price to the consumer. Volume, customer service and other costs drive this. Cutting out the middle men is fine for some people and some purchases for for other purchases and other consumers the middle men are needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
With non-direct-sale luxury goods, one can't forget the cost of capital for retailers' stock. If you want to maintain a selection of costly watches so that Jo Public (or Jo Public's rich uncle) can browse and find the one he wants, you've got to front hundreds of thousands of dollars to acquire that selection. I'm pretty sure that if running a luxury-goods retail outlet were as certain a money-maker as breakdowns like that shown make it appear, we'd be investing in them rather than in start-ups (or computer companies, or mining concerns, or whereever you do invest).

I may chafe at the levels of markup in the supply chain of retail luxury goods, but I don't believe those markups represent pure profit for all concerned. They offset very real operating costs.

(also: a rose-gold-plated three-hand minimalist dress watch on a striped NATO strap? I suppose there's a market for that, but it's not me.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
(also: a rose-gold-plated three-hand minimalist dress watch on a striped NATO strap? I suppose there's a market for that, but it's not me.)[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is a market for it.....Daniel Wellington sold a lot of them.....these seem to be a direct copy. Clever marketing though, which I suspect will work on non enthusiasts.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
It's a $150 watch.

From the pictures, it just doesn't justify the $500 price they say it would command in a retail store. In a retail store, a watch of this class would probaly have a MSRP of $175-$200 tops.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
It's a $150 watch.

From the pictures, it just doesn't justify the $500 price they say it would command in a retail store. In a retail store, a watch of this class would probaly have a MSRP of $175-$200 tops.
Yup I think so too. They look like DW watches which are popular amongst teenagers here. And those go for much less than $500...

Sent from my Hongmi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi gents, thank you for being objective and showing an understanding for our project.

I can read from your comments that a very important piece of information is not coming across on our website, which we need to work on. Please reach out should you have any suggestions on getting the following across:

As some of you are stating there are quartz watches being sold for $200-300 and some are naming DW. A watch with mineral glass, 304 steel, Japan movement and 3 atm would cost less than $17 to produce. It's a nice watch, fits it's purpose and we are super excited for them, the price is just a fact.

When you use 316 steel, domed sapphire glass and increase the water resistance to 10 atm the price will increase to $55. So a watch consisting of these components would not retail at $175-$200 because it would not leave any room for profits to retailers or middlemen. We have nothing against traditional retail, we just want to provide an alternative.

Our goal has been to create a piece that has the same exterior durability as of a luxury timepiece. Hence we have used the same materials as Patek Phillipe, Panerai and Omega. By using a Swiss quartz movement we are able to sell our watches at a fraction of the price. This would of course not have been possible if we had the same movement as the luxury timepieces stated above, which is a whole other ball game and where the price and quality differentiate us.

When it comes to our concept our goal is to state facts because we believe that it is a powerful tool. Please reach out should you have any questions about this.

I will be updating the dial description to include you feedback ilitig8. Thank you!

Leather straps will be released next month.

Thank you all!
Sincerely,
Henrik.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
As some of you are stating there are quartz watches being sold for $200-300 and some are naming DW. A DW watch with mineral glass, 304 steel, Japan movement and 3 atm would cost less than $17 to produce. It's a nice watch, fits it's purpose and we are super excited for them, the price is just a fact.
Interesting. How did you find out they only use 304 ss?

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
It's a $150 watch.

Yes. And the comparison watch would likely be manufactured by another larger watch company with a far lower cost of goods manufactured. Seiko and Citizen have lots of simple elegant dress watches with quartz movements that sell under $200.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Interesting. How did you find out they only use 304 ss?
Dear Citizen V, just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with 304 ss. It provides a long lasting case. The difference is that you won't find many luxury brands that use 304 since 316 provides longer durability. Their watch is a "white-label" watch sold under different brands in multiple countries where of DW is the most popular one. TSR (one of the factories producing this watch) release new models every now and then, these models are 304 or Alloy. Of course it would be possible to upgrade the steel so one cannot be 100% sure before testing it with a Molybdenum test kit (304 does not have Molybdenum), but normally when you invest in 316 ss you promote it.

You could probably get a sample for $40-50 including shipping from the factory if you ask nicely:

2014 Nylon watch popular in Sweden big size for man rose gold plating, View 2014 Nylon watch, Available Product Details from Shenzhen Taishirui Clock & Watch Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Again, there is nothing wrong with this retail method. It provides great value to those that want to see and try the piece in a local store. This is not possible for us so we try to use different methods to provide the same security e.g. free return and full refund.

Please do not hesitate to ask for any information, we love facts.

Sincerely,
Henrik.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
The price of a luxury good has nothing to do with it's cost to produce... it's all about the price the market is willing to pay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes. And the comparison watch would likely be manufactured by another larger watch company with a far lower cost of goods manufactured. Seiko and Citizen have lots of simple elegant dress watches with quartz movements that sell under $200.
Dear John, thank you for the feedback. Should you find any Seiko or Citizen watches with 316 ss, sapphire glass and 10 atm please get back to us so that we can adjust our illustration accordingly.

We are all about facts, transparency and honesty so any feedback to strengthen this would be deeply appreciated.

Sincerely,
Henrik.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
Dear John, thank you for the feedback. Should you find any Seiko or Citizen watches with 316 ss, sapphire glass and 10 atm please get back to us so that we can adjust our illustration accordingly.

We are all about facts, transparency and honesty so any feedback to strengthen this would be deeply appreciated.

Sincerely,
Henrik.
Whether it is 316 or some other formula or gold plated is I think all but irrelevant in a dressy watch at this price point. People buy fancy watches for < $200 because they can look good at an affordable price. Our friends at Skagen sell watches with sapphire crystals and titanium cases for under $100

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whether it is 316 or some other formula or gold plated is I think all but irrelevant in a dressy watch at this price point. People buy fancy watches for < $200 because they can look good at an affordable price. Our friends at Skagen sell watches with sapphire crystals and titanium cases for under $100
Thank you for the feedback John,

Why don't you try for yourself :) the difference is obvious. If you have a PayPal account you can get the piece delivered free of charge and return it within 6 days after delivery and no funds will be deducted.

For the sake of reference - do you have a link to these details so that it would be possible to review? We cannot find anything about this on Skagen.com.

Sincerely,
Henrik.

·
Banned
817 Posts
@john
skagen watches don't have 100m wr. and they have mineral glass.

case in point:
Skagen SKW6082 Klassik Date Brown

http://www.amazon.com/Skagen-858XLS...ie=UTF8&qid=1399643070&sr=1-3&keywords=skagen

@brathwait
i admire your effort and honesty.
however, nato strap is just wrong on a dress watch.

the only thing you don't have going for you is the design, i'm afraid. but that can be changed, luckily.

i adorre dress watches. for example, orient bambino looks alot better than your watch, and it's an automatic!

to conclude:
if you could make a watch which will sell for 150$ and be durable and good looking at the same time, you'd be a winner.

good luck to you in your future endeavours.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts