WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Need some advice.

I have an Omega seamaster CK2913-3. I've had her for a few years and while I still love her, I've been contemplating selling her.

The bezel is a redo, albeit not a great job like Aldo but I suppose whomever did it, did the best they could.

The watch itself was completely overhauled by the well known Al Archer and she runs great now.

I also have an Omgea extract from the archives confirming the watch's authenticity.

So here's the deal - im headed to HK over the holidays and am very tempted to try and trade for well, i dunno. Maybe a Rolex Explorer 1016? Perhaps a vintage Bathycaphe if I can find one.

Has anyone done a trade in HK? What was the experience like? (Because I assume they'll try to rip me off on the trade.)

The thought of taking such an expensive watch with me and the extract seems like a bunch of trouble. Never mind if customs back home thinks I'm bringing an expensive watch back.

Is it potentially worth it? Thoughts? Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex Exp II Polar, Omega FOIS, JLC Reverso, AP 11.59
2,335 Posts
Vintage Concept in Central has a couple of 1016 Explorers that are priced around HK$120000 and up. Very unlikely they’d do a straight trade as Omega are not the most popular brand in HK. Also London Watch in Mong Kok is another that would have 1016’s and might take the Omega in but again a straight trade is extremely unlikely. As for a Bathyscaphe I’ve never seen one here!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vintage Concept in Central has a couple of 1016 Explorers that are priced around HK$120000 and up. Very unlikely they’d do a straight trade as Omega are not the most popular brand in HK. Also London Watch in Mong Kok is another that would have 1016’s and might take the Omega in but again a straight trade is extremely unlikely. As for a Bathyscaphe I’ve never seen one here!
Thanks for the info! Vintage concept has some nice stuff but crazy prices and they apparently only want Rolex's.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex Exp II Polar, Omega FOIS, JLC Reverso, AP 11.59
2,335 Posts
Thanks for the info! Vintage concept has some nice stuff but crazy prices and they apparently only want Rolex's.

Cheers.

Yeah their prices are a bit higher than normal but they’re a brick and mortar store with a good reputation and give a long warranty, and there’s always wiggle room on the ticket price anyway. You’re most likely to get hit here big time anyway though. Would be a far better option to sell your Omega privately and bring cash.

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
I would sell your Omega from the comfort of home here in the States before the trip, do some browsing while in HK, and find your way back home and wait for the right 1016 to become available, might take up to a year to hit your quality/cost expectations.

Forcing this all to happen while traveling in a city like HK is a recipe for disaster. I did something similar two years ago, determined to walk every vintage Rolex shop in Tsim Sha Tsui as well as hitting Vintage Concept vicinity and in the end I settled for the very best YG Datejust I could find, was in brilliant condition, but I overpaid and wound up with a watch that felt right in Asia and felt wrong in the US, kicked myself for months until finally getting out of it.

Hong Kong is very friendly and safe, but customs can be tricky if you're traveling with multiple watches, a watch box, receipts, etc.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Sounds like I shouldn't take on this endeavour.

Thanks everyone!!

PNF Times are most likely to take it in as they sell quite a variety of vintage stuff other than just Rolex, so they could be worth a try - but you’ll still be a lot better off selling privately and pocket the money.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PNF Times are most likely to take it in as they sell quite a variety of vintage stuff other than just Rolex, so they could be worth a try - but you’ll still be a lot better off selling privately and pocket the money.
Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts