WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and, not a franken. Please chime in if you see something suspicious.

Any opinions on condition and the watch in general are welcome, too.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Looks legit as far as all the parts being authentic. There were lots of Ultra-Chron variations, but I recall very similar combinations of dial & case so I think you're good. The patina is a little heavy for that dial but it's livable if you like that look (I know a lot of guys do). There are lots of mint examples available out there too.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Longines had a 'thing' for the asymmetrical date windows. I dont see anything suspicious. I don't imagine ultra-chrons have made it into the top-ten for frankens yet. Besides-there is a limited amount of the cal 430/31 movements which I belive have to be inside for it to be a true ultra-chron. (meaning -another longines cal coulnt be thrown in there w/o the complete ignorance of the buyer) Anyway-yours looks great

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here's a slightly larger shot of the dial:

And, movement ...

Another larger snapshot of the dial ...

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Make sure you keep this well lubricated as from what I understand-its very important with the 36,000bph cal 431 which needs a special dry lubricant like molybendum. Make sure your watch guy understands this as I've heard stories of watchmakers that dont know that much about this movement

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
Make sure you keep this well lubricated as from what I understand-its very important with the 36,000bph cal 431 which needs a special dry lubricant like molybendum. Make sure your watch guy understands this as I've heard stories of watchmakers that dont know that much about this movement
My watchmaker says this was true 50 years ago when the watches were introduced. He claims good synthetics are all that are needed today.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've bid for it, let's see how it goes ...

I've heard about the switch from "dry" lubricants to synthetic ones for high-beat balances ... I'll be sure to mention it to the watchmaker though (just to make sure) if I get the watch.

·
Premium Member
12,939 Posts
Original ultrachron, it must be serviced in the same way as the el primero because of their frequency with bisulphyde molibdenium.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts