WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!

First post here and I’m hoping I can get some sage advice and input. I’ve read countless threads and learned a lot and am finally in a position to purchase my first Omega which has been a goal for many years. It’s time for me to finally get my hands on a Seamaster Diver 300m 2531.80 or the 2220.80!

Foolishly I initially thought it would be as simple as finding a used one in relatively good condition - I had no idea there were so many factors to consider in the decision. I am hoping to get some advice on whether to buy from Crown and Caliber, who I’ve come to appreciate greatly from everything I’ve read and seen and also from some emailing back and forth, or to buy from an individual seller such as Exelonman or a seller over on Omega Forums?

The watch for me is a sentimental thing and I hope to find a balance with it. I am hoping for it to be as authentic and close to the original watch as possible, with original papers something I’m really hoping for (foolishly?) While I know a watch this old will typically come with scuffs and dings and a good deal of character, I’ve noticed that most of those that show up in the C&C inventory seem a little more beat up and are also pricier than the examples I’ve looked at being sold by individual sellers.

While I understand they will be a little more $ from C&C ($2,500ish) I am absolutely 100% ok with that if it will get me a “more” authentic watch, even if it does have some more character/use. I absolutely plan on sending the watch in to Omega for servicing/overhaul and the price difference of a few hundred dollars for peace of mind is not a major concern for me. I’d rather spend a little more and be content..

Hoping for some experts to chime in on this long winded post to see if you would advise me to wait for a watch in “Excellent” condition on C&C (hopefully with papers/box etc.) as I feel it gives me slightly more peace of mind or if that is foolish and unrealistic and that it makes sense to just buy from an individual seller. This is important to me and something I’ve wanted to do for years and want to do “right”. I look forward to hearing what you guys think. Thanks very much in advance!

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
Is say go with a dealer that has a perfect reputation. Piece of mind. My bond about a decade ago came from an eBay seller, good feedback. Paid a small premium over forums, was fine with that.

Bought some bargain after than from forums, but that was a different world back then. So many fakes out there but relatively easy to spot.

Unless someones buying it to flip for profit, or have a budget which can't afford a few hundred $ extra (but then, should they be buying an Omega?), I'd buy from a dealer these days. So many fakes, many too difficult to spot.

I got a planet ocean in October. Brand new. I just don't trust private sales anymore, even more so after the horology house scandal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you that is helpful - I got similar feedback over on OF. I think eventually I may be ok with purchasing a second or third from a private seller or one that is not in ideal condition but not for this first big (for me) purchase with such sentimental value. I appreciate the input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts