WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a v2 Halios Seaforth (for those that care, the abyss blue dial with steel dive bezel) that showed up today. The watch arrived packaged in the Halios hard sided case with a layer of foam protecting each side of the head within the case. The watch case had maybe 3 or 4 wrappings of bubble wrap around it.

According to the tracking info provided, the seller shipped the watch via USPS in a small flat rate box. The packaging around the case seems like it would have been a perfect fit for that box.

HOWEVER

Here are a few pics of the box that arrived to me. I've unwrapped the watch, but as you can see the box is probably 12x12x12. There was obviously tons of dead space within the box, as it was wrapped for what i thought was a very small box.

My plan is to check the timekeeping on the watch fairly frequently (maybe 2-3x per day)to make sure it's running within normal specs for the 2824-2 movement. Is there anything else I should do? I am hoping that the case kept the watch head safe, but if the seller shipped it in the big box i'm sure it got rattled around rather a lot.

Also, the tape closure on the bottom of the box is total garbage...to the point that the box almost opened up when I picked it up. Is there any chance that the post office repackaged the watch in some random box they had lying around?

First picture is my hand to give a point of reference for the box size.
Box Auto part Tool accessory Carton Packaging and labeling
Room Ceiling

·
Registered
121 Posts
The movement should have some shock protection like incabloc or something similar. Almost all modern watches have it so it should be fine. And cardboard is not a hard surface.. But anyway, they should have packed the inside of the box with some newspapers at least..

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I agree it should be fine but am a little nervous. And the hard sided case i was referring to is the Halios branded plastic case in the 2nd picture, not the cardboard box.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Yeah I agree it should be fine but am a little nervous. And the hard sided case i was referring to is the Halios branded plastic case in the 2nd picture, not the cardboard box.
If you're worried, never even think of wearing your watch.. ;-) Any knock on the desk will subject the movement to far higher g-forces than transporting it in Halios' protective case inside a cardboard box. The balance shaft's shock protection is made to survive a drop of the watch onto concrete from several feet high. It's easier to dent the stainless steel watch case than to damage the movement.

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
Rather than ask here , have you contacted the seller ? If he shipped in a USPS Flat Rate Box , It would be marked as such , judging by the size of the box ,if he did ship in that , it looks more like a medium box and would entail a higher shipping cost .
Seller should be your first stop .then worry about timing
Also what is circled and ? marked on the E-Bay postage label ...might answer the question of box size

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I think the reason why the box does not match the flat rate box description is because they printed there own shipping label and either on purpose or by accident said it was a flat rate box when in fact it is not.

That probably saved the shipper money claiming it was a small flat rate box. It may of been an accident, but mislabeling and underpaying the US post office on purpose is illegal.

Packing it so crappy also saved them time and money. I don't see how anyone could both mislabel and pack so poorly unless it was on purpose.

If you want to return it now's the time. There is a reason why Ebay asks in the feedback about how well the item was packed.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
If you want to return it now's the time.
After removing the stickers? Perfect setup for a stupid dispute about a completely intact watch.

Is there any damage on the watch or even the slightest hint that it was thrashed about and might have been damaged during transport? General paranoia is not a valid return reason.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
That's bad but hopefully the foam inside the Nanuk case would protect the watch. After all, from what I remember, Jason delivered the Nanuk case in a DHL wrapper, nothing else. So there's hope....

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Not sure why this warrants a thread. You wear it, determine if it works correctly or not, and if it doesn't, you return it for a refund. There are people in all walks of life, in all trades, that do similar things, we deal with them, life goes on.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Also, the tape closure on the bottom of the box is total garbage...to the point that the box almost opened up when I picked it up. Is there any chance that the post office repackaged the watch in some random box they had lying around?
This was my first instinct. Repacked at some point in the shipping process. Original box could have become damaged. Customs cut it open and for some reason couldn't reuse the original packaging. Side was caught on something and tore open. Who knows, but I'm pretty sure Halios didn't ship it like this.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly about the seller's motive. I had a similar incident happen with a pair of new shoes I bought online. Apparently the original shipping box was damaged so USPS threw them loosely into a large box (seemingly like your situation) and when they arrived, damaged, I was livid. I contacted the store I bought them from and they assured me that they packaged them correctly and offered me a full refund and replacement.

I'm hoping you won't need a refund or return and the watch works just fine as delivered.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A larger box has less chances to get lost in transit. And if it was packed like this by the seller it shows carelessness. If it got damaged in transit and got repacked it means it was not packed well first time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the watch runs fine-ish...currently averaging about -12s/d according to Hairspring, which is barely within spec for an ETA 2824-2. The seller has also told me that "Halios watches aren't known for the accuracy," which to me seems like BS. I'm going to give it a day or two and make sure it doesn't fall farther out of spec, and if necessary have it regulated.

This whole thing has just left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. The seller said he packaged it like he did because he was rushing and wanted to be sure I had it "before the holidays." Because apparently a sufficient packing job would have taken him another 3.5 weeks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lol...what the heck was the person thinking? Set the time, see if it gains/loses an unreasonable amount each day. If so, ask for your $$ back!!! And ship it back in a box filled with rocks.

·
Premium Member
73,823 Posts
You should have seen the size of box my Sinn 857 came in - I wasn’t sure whether to throw it away or move in. Everything looks undamaged so I reckon you will be good. I wouldn’t worry about it getting reboxed either since if your county is anything like mine the PO deliver some parcels in a really mashed up state and I think any damage sufficient to warrant a new box would show on the inner case.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts