WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you might know, I was working on international assignments. Expatriation in some non family friendly environments,for a good 4 years.

I've put an end to it and returned finally home, to my beloveds :-!

6 months have passed since my last vacation, so all what I've bought remotely was waiting for me at home. Imagine the joy...It's too much for one person, so I've decided to share...

After a week, it was turn to open my cupboard and put all my candies on the table:

Package delivery Box

Tough job to think from where to start :) Without further ado,opened the watches first:

Box and papers and watch :) November 1957 Glycine Airman Special, 'Special ' line was for the US market due to jewel count taxes, and they were used mainly by US Air Force personnel:

Box Fashion accessory Tobacco products

This guy belongs to the big guys, so has exclusivity, its own box and space within the top tiers:

Cash Money Shelf Currency Furniture

Also found this little guy at the left with center seconds, so my Glycine early automatics are complete

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

That's how they sit next to each other peacefully ( early automatics:4 watches at left front row ):

Wood Collection

In the meantime, unintentionally a sub-collection has surfaced within my timepieces :think: The founder of Glycine, Eugene Meylan watches are increasing its presence:

Watch Watch accessory Pocket watch Fashion accessory Analog watch

Also found the 'DH ' marked military issued pocket watch, I was after since a while. Great pair with its smaller brother in arms:

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch Jewellery

And then came across this old style COSC with a ' Marvin-ish ' logo on dial,obviously Glycine was trying it on,understood after they manufactured and dropped it ( Glycine's recent logo is first applied in 1965 ):

It has some engravings of a doctor in Oregon as a graduation present from the Medicine School.I've located the gentleman will contact him soon.

This '70s Electronic piece couldn't escape from me:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Upps I missed the WW I pieces :-!

The Buren and Gallet.Buren is London 1916,probably saw trenches.Gallet, not sure but with that radium burn and exposure I might see trenches :)

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

Did I mention that I am bookbinding? Off topic though but still vintage eh ( the bookbinding sewing frame was used in British Museum book restoration units,dates probably jugendstil times,is as big as our dining table for 6 )

Furniture Table Wood

The book presses and table screws are from ' Braunwarth & Luethke Muenchen ' again both old ( Tomcat you might know these guys,they are still around ):

Antique Wood Cactus
Product Antique tool Tool Wood

And finally a needle set from our British friends,the beautifully engraved cover is 30cm tall,so are some needles :)

Text
Plastic

Peace for me :)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Emre - for the Gallet, I'll Fedex my Geiger Counter to you at my cost to see if you can beat my 10,171 !!! Cheers - 'Fab 'Stuff' FOR SURE ! SDA

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Emre
Welcome home to your family.
Enjoy with peace and happiness.
And Wow! What a great lot of wonderful pieces. I wish I was there as you opened them all.
The Gallet is a 1914 Indirect Sweep Seconds all 100% original. Fantastic
Fantastic
Enjoy
Adam

Reactions: Emre

·
Registered
7,734 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ Scott, thanks a lot, so generous you are. Not sure though why you want to handover the forum record of radium exposure :-d Joke aside, I am really curious, will check with my watchmaker and report back

@ Thanks Adam,family above all. Limited time,have to use wisely.
The crown of the Gallet looks tricky to me, but I would accept it at least style correct. 100 years old watch imperfections are acceptable eh.

@ Marrick, some wonderful stuff is surfacing from Britain for this older craft. Pity not many are aware of their values and the skilled craftsmanship behind it. Britain had also some paper mills in the past manufacturing first class restoration papers. Still is one of the leading countries actually in this industry of bookbinding.I've got that set so cheap,but needs some love,will try clean the rust off and ready to present or use.

@ Paleotime, thanks a lot.Will post another thread for the whole collection ( here is like 1/3 ), very happy with its direction so far.

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
But more importantly. Look at the seconds hand. Huge, bold and 100% correct.
So early, so new, they made it the boldest hand on the watch. True, and it's the seconds hand.

i love it

Reactions: Sdasurrey

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Emre,

cool watches you've got there, any chance of a small write up and some more pic's of that electronic? what movement?

thanks

Matt

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt, your wish, my passion :-!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

This 'electronic' mate is powered by an ETA (ESA ) 9154, might be called a hybrid caliber,they have a balance, hairspring and regulator just like a mechanical movement, but the mainspring is replaced by a battery and an electronic module.

Watch Watch accessory Metal Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Locket Clock

Wheel Disc brake Rim Auto part Spoke

It has 13 jewels, hacking seconds and a smooth sweeping seconds, unlike the quartz watches jump seconds.Glycine registers indicates a bunch (5000 ) of ESA 9154,9158,9315,9183,9361 powered watches order in 19 Feb 1976 where the cost of this watch is recorded DM 52,85 to the factory :)

More information and watchmaker's review on this movement:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA-ESA 9154 Dynotron

Tissot Seastar Electronic (ESA Cal. 9154)… | The Watch Spot

1970s Girard Perregaux Electronic (Caliber ESA 9154) « AMBwatches

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Matt, your wish, my passion :-!

View attachment 1552009

This 'electronic' mate is powered by an ETA (ESA ) 9154, might be called a hybrid caliber,they have a balance, hairspring and regulator just like a mechanical movement, but the mainspring is replaced by a battery and an electronic module.

View attachment 1552005

View attachment 1552006

View attachment 1552007

View attachment 1552008

It has 13 jewels, hacking seconds and a smooth sweeping seconds, unlike the quartz watches jump seconds.Glycine registers indicates a bunch (5000 ) of ESA 9154,9158,9315,9183,9361 powered watches order in 19 Feb 1976 where the cost of this watch is recorded DM 52,85 to the factory :)

More information and watchmaker's review on this movement:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA-ESA 9154 Dynotron

Tissot Seastar Electronic (ESA Cal. 9154)… | The Watch Spot

1970s Girard Perregaux Electronic (Caliber ESA 9154) « AMBwatches
Fab watch I have an Avia version, the swissonic

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

It to has a battery powered mechanical movement , the esa Dynotron if memory serves me correctly,

Matt

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hi Emre,

what a way to return home: not yellow ribbons, but shedloads of parcels. (Why am I thinking of Christmas right now?)

And the watches are just gorgeous - particularly the right one in your fifth photograph (the tiny early automatic (?)). What movement has it? What size is it?

Kind regards,
Andreas

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Andreas, thank you for your nice words.

That tiny thing is a 8,75 lignes Glycine Manufacture Movement Cal 20 manual winding ebauche, modified for the Eugene Meylan automatic module mount ( w/shock protection ). This ingenious module was invented by the founder of Glycine,Eugene Meylan ( pat appl: 15 Oct 1930, reg: 31 Aug 1931 ).It can be mounted on manual winding movements and turn them to automatic watches. Only the prototype of this watch is signed by Meylan. Others have Glycine mark on dial. The prototype has been examined and re-surrected by Dr. Ranfft, also presented in his site. That one cases a 11,5 lignes Venus -60-II movement, however serial production was for 8,75 lignes movements.

The case is 30mm w/out crown.

Watch accessory Watch Fashion accessory Badge Analog watch

The crown, just sets time, no manual winding is possible.The serial numbers we have are not going this back, I believe this is a pre-1936 piece, very early adaption of shock protection. What makes me believe pre-1936 is the ' Fab. Suisse ' mark still on the movement. The regulations have changed in 1936 that the origin of manufacturing country should be on the dial not on movement anymore. It is also a kind of waterproof case. This type watch was presented in the New York World's Fair and underwent several brutal tests with Mido Multifort, presented here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/swiss-new-york-worlds-fair-1939-vintage-cosc-832694.html

The module and movement separated ( from an earlier version Glycine EMSA automatic, which I donated to NAWCC Museum )

Circle Metal Number

Text

1939 one page of Glycine Movements Lists where Caliber 19 & 20 are presented, before being aquired by ASUAG in 1942.

This watch was done here by these people :-! ( Some of these pictures are for the first time published in web, advantage of having access to companies' archives, exclusive for WUS. Glycine's factory in 1920s and '30s in Bienne )

Fabrication ebauches:

Mecanique Outillage:

Reglage mise en marche:

Controle Final:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.