WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, so about a week ago I bought my first Gs, an SBGA283. Stunning watch and totally in love with it, movement amazingly precise and I’m very happy.
Earlier today o happened to check the time at exactly 6pm, and noticed that the hour hand is not actually aligned to the marker. Is this a recurring thing with GS? It doesn’t bother that much but still I think I would have it checked if it’s not normal.
The pictures are at 6am and 6pm, and you can see a very slight misalignment.
Let me know what your experiences are
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Saw this topic come up on Facebook a while back. My initial observations after checking several of my watches and a friend checking his was that it seems like it was more prevalent with expensive, hand assembled watches than it was with cheap watches (which likely were completely put together by machines).

Reactions: heb

·
Premium Member
33,317 Posts
^^^

Agree. Does everything else line up or is it slightly off?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried with the second hand in 12 position also. Everything lines up actually, it’s more visible at 5-6-7 o’clock

Instagram: b_marco

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Saw this topic come up on Facebook a while back. My initial observations after checking several of my watches and a friend checking his was that it seems like it was more prevalent with expensive, hand assembled watches than it was with cheap watches (which likely were completely put together by machines).
Thanks for the assessment; I am a believer. The phrases, "Made By Hand", "Hand Made", or even, "Assembled by Hand" does NOT have the same virtuous connotation it once did 100 years or so ago. heb

·
Premium Member
67,922 Posts
When all said and done it’s a GS and it should meet your expectations - they’re not exactly a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
My AT should make you feel better haha
20200608_122002_1591882576806.jpg

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'd send it back and ask for it to be corrected because I'm uber fussy.
Have you checked your watches to see how close they are? Even my friend's Patek Calatrava is off. If you haven't checked your watches you might not want to. :)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Quite a few of my watches exhibit this. Initially I was very annoyed, but now I forget about it most of the time, except for when I glance down at certain times when it's pronounced, e.g. 6 o'clock. Unfortunately it's a relatively common problem, most people just don't seem to really care or notice. If there's an option to get a replacement I would, but if not then I don't think it's a big deal, at least it grew not to be for me. But thank you for reminding me, I will be sure to add this to the list of things to inspect for when picking up my Snowflake later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The phrases, "Made By Hand", "Hand Made", or even, "Assembled by Hand" does NOT have the same virtuous connotation it once did 100 years or so ago.
99%+ of things that were "made by hand" 100 years ago were crap, we only know of and draw conclusions from the very few of the best items that have survived.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It would frustrate me to be honest. But now that you've pointed this out I certainly am NOT going to check my snowflake :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Have you checked your watches to see how close they are? Even my friend's Patek Calatrava is off. If you haven't checked your watches you might not want to. :)
This ^, every single watch of mine is slightly off. My GS is actually one of the worst though... not checking for it helps but it stands out more when the hands are really pointy.

·
Registered
20,321 Posts
So you have 3 options

1. Send it back to have the realignment done professionally.

2. Forget it and move on.

3. Send the watch to me, I will wear it until the hour hand aligns itself with the marker and I will send it back to you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have had this on two of my seikos.... I fixed both myself but shouldn't have had to.............

1 on grand seiko with 8J56 movement and 1 on the Sarb033, both hour hands were 5 minutes late. It is an easy fix if you have the nerve.....

I set the watch to five minutes past the hour
I popped off the seconds hand and the minute hands
then re-push them back on with the minutes hand at 12 o'clock

you have to be really careful not to bend and scratch the hands, proper tools helps a lot, i did it without hand puller or pusher (not recommended)

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
Hello guys, so about a week ago I bought my first Gs, an SBGA283. Stunning watch and totally in love with it, movement amazingly precise and I’m very happy.
Earlier today o happened to check the time at exactly 6pm, and noticed that the hour hand is not actually aligned to the marker. Is this a recurring thing with GS? It doesn’t bother that much but still I think I would have it checked if it’s not normal.
The pictures are at 6am and 6pm, and you can see a very slight misalignment.
Let me know what your experiences are
Thank you
This post motivated me to check my SNR029. It's a bit hard to make out because the "12" and "6" markers are so wide but this looks acceptable and what I'd expect. When I get my first GS, I'd certainly hope that it would be close to this degree of alignment.
SNR029HandsAlign_E5280.png

Reactions: bam49
1 - 20 of 54 Posts