WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carrera calibre 5, and I can’t seem to get past the concern that I am going to damage my TAG if I wear it during more rough activities. Now to be clear, I don’t care if it gets scratched or dirty, I’m concerned about the movement. Am I right to be concerned, or can I just wear it all the time?
If something did happen and the movement was damaged, any guess as to what it might cost to get fixed? I don’t know if movements get repaired, or if it’s just a replacement type of thing.

Above all else, I guess I’m hoping to get some reassurance so that I can convince myself to wear it more.

·
Registered
16,955 Posts
Depends on the activity.

Most modern automatic movements are much more durable than older ones, but not as durable as most quartz, and certainly not as durable as something designed for a hard life. (Like a G-Shock).

They certainly aren’t ISO rated to any toughness standards that I am aware of, so it would be foolhardy to mistreat it, but it should be fine for most “normal” activities.

These movements can be repaired by most capable watchmakers, cost will be commensurate with whatever damage is done.

Tag Heuer’s regional servicing costs are on their web site and should include a replacement movement if required…

SoOoO many watches SoOoO little time...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have a carrera calibre 5, and I can’t seem to get past the concern that I am going to damage my TAG if I wear it during more rough activities. Now to be clear, I don’t care if it gets scratched or dirty, I’m concerned about the movement. Am I right to be concerned, or can I just wear it all the time?
If something did happen and the movement was damaged, any guess as to what it might cost to get fixed? I don’t know if movements get repaired, or if it’s just a replacement type of thing.

Above all else, I guess I’m hoping to get some reassurance so that I can convince myself to wear it more.
Just use como sense.

Example of activities that will damage the movement

Hammering with your watch hand. (A problem for me because I’m lefty).

Jack hammer.

Hammer wrench to remove tires.

Non permanent damage: strong magnets.

—-
Biking , drilling, working on your car, painting, sex,… all safe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if an impact to remove tires will hurt it, I better not wear it to work. It’s not uncommon for me to have to use a 1” impact at work, which could easily snap off the studs on most cars…

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Well, if an impact to remove tires will hurt it, I better not wear it to work. It’s not uncommon for me to have to use a 1” impact at work, which could easily snap off the studs on most cars…
What about wearing it on the inactive hand ?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Toughest watches I know of are Casio G-Shocks and their siblings like the Pathfinder, Mudman, etc. Some dive watches are built like tanks and can definitely put up with harsh activity but can scratch easily, crystals can crack or shatter if you're not careful and the spring bars can pop out dropping your watch onto a nice jagged cement walkway. So it's best to not wear an expensive watch during any kind of harsh activity if you value the watch much.

I wear my Casio Pathfinder on the weekends, out in the yard, working in the garage, etc. The Seiko dive watches are my regular daily wear and they do get banged up. My TAG 6000 chronographs are for going out to dinner, parties, etc. The Omega Planet Ocean is special occasions only.

As for the movements, they are not industrial grade mechanisms but can take a fair amount of abuse. I wouldn't subject them to hammering, lots of vibration, lots of Gs. If they fail, it looks like the standard service price for TAG and Omega is in the $700 range for a full service which generally replaces all bad parts, anything that looks worn or will soon be. These watches are not cheap nor is their service cost.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I work in a manufacturing facility, not a truck to put it in and I don’t have a lock on my current office. I think I’m just going to plan on leaving it in the box during the week.

·
Premium Member
38,936 Posts
I have a F1 and a Aquaracer that I wear for a lot of vigorous activities including enduro motorcycle riding, water sports, running, working on cars, etc, and so far they have both performed flawlessly with no issues, and I have banged them up now and then.

Again, as point out above, common sense based on your activity is probably your best protection for the watch.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,705 Posts
Well I work in a manufacturing facility, not a truck to put it in and I don’t have a lock on my current office. I think I’m just going to plan on leaving it in the box during the week.
what watch will you wear instead?

i still think a TAG is a well built tough watch. Here’s my carrera
Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Material property

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I switch between my bertucci (bought used off their website) and my g-shock. Every now and then I will wear my Vostok .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts