WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of very good videos on YouTube explaining how a watch works. Here are some for your convenience:

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
The first vid is amazing in its clarity of explanation!

·
Registered
575 Posts
These are great, thanks for posting!
But, you forgot to tell the whole story.
What about the part where the watch sits on the counter at the AD or in an ad on WUS and it hypnotizes any WIS in the room. It then installs a subliminal suggestion in the WIS' mind telling them to open wallet and empty on the counter, then take me home.
That's how my watches seem to work anyhow....
LOL.
Thanks Again Ernie!

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The Hamilton video is old but a great explanation how a mechanical watch works. However, that made me wondering. Most automatic watches have around 40-45 hours of power reserve. What is limiting the watchmakers from extending this through series of more gears? The lack of mainspring torque or the sheer limited space inside the watch casing that doesn't allow more gears to be used?

Also, has anyone ever tried of doing the balance wheel in any other way (possibly without the rotating balance wheel itself but through some other constant moving mechanism)?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Thanks again Ernie!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Re: the balance wheel/escapement: the important thing isn't that it's constantly moving, it's that it goes back and forth at a constant rate no matter how much force is applied to it. (Because you might get a variable amount of force from the mainspring, but the escapement still needs to "tick" exactly X times per second.) You can do the same thing with a pendulum since you can swing a pendulum with a lot of force and it will come back to you in the same amount of time as with a small force, and that's how grandfather clocks work. But you obviously can't have a pendulum in a wristwatch since it's constantly changing positions/angles/etc. ... As for the mainspring, I don't know for sure, but I assume the springs are generally made with a certain material with a certain thickness (for durability) and fit into roughly the same amount of space in a wristwatch and this all translates into about 40 hours of power. There are some watches that have more, and are usually advertised as such.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've always been interested in watches as fashion items, but recently became fascinated by how they work as well. I'll be getting my first "serious" watch soon (Citizen CB0010-53L, most likely), and it seemed appropriate to make my first watchuseek post about the making of watches. I came across this video on Youtube, showing the construction of an $150,000 luxury watch. Its a good basic introduction to the mechanics, and was just enough to whet my appetite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new here(first post! hurray!)
I watched these videos last night and all I could think of is where can I get the big example of the mechanical movement from video one!? I think an example like 30 or so inches long would be 1) a great learning device for a new guy like myself and 2) it would look amazing cleaned up mounted on a wall in my office next my desk!

·
Registered
243 Posts
That first video by Hamilton is what opened my eyes to the Hamilton brand. After seeing the video I did a search on Hamilton watches and realized how many good watches (and within my price range) they had. One of those searches even lead me to WUS! And now, four Hamilton watches later, I'm very happy I saw that video.

It's a great video and helped me understand the inner workings of a mechanical watch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Im an intuitive thinking type of person, and I figured I intuitively knew enough about how it worked to be fine... but after watching I could truly say I now know how it all works, and had poor understanding previously.
Well worth the time! Just wish that old video was HD... but I supposed that's asking for too much ;)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts