WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a stunning 1960's chrono on the sales forum right now. Man, would I love to see it reissued in a 42mm case with a 7750. What do you guys think?

Are there any plans for a Stowa Chrono besides the ones Jorg does under his own name? The Marine Original I had a few years ago and foolishly sold was a beauty.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Agreed! That watch would be stunning updated and 42mm.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the one I would most like to see would be a reissue of that 1960's style. I love the black dial, the white subdials and the strong lumed indices. The Marine type is also nice but it would be such a treat to see this other older style brought up to date.

One question concerning the vintage watch for sale: on the right hand subdial there is red line. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what that is all about?

S

·
0 Posts
One question concerning the vintage watch for sale: on the right hand subdial there is red line. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what that is all about?...

I don`t have a clue. I might be wrong but to me it seems that the red line is not printed but drawn by hand or is it just the angle that fools me ? :think:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I've got such a similar vintage Stowa chrono with identical subdials: There is no red line in it.
Maybe that Mike is right and it is not printed.b-)

I'll try to make better pics tomorrow and show my chrono here.

Volker

·
Vendor
921 Posts
Hello everybody,

this year we will do a chrono!
But we have to wait that other projects are finsihed or perfect in production.

I think autumn/winter/christmas could be a good time .-)

best regards

Jörg Schauer

I have a few designs in my head and on paper- but we should wait a few weeks to be perfect moved to our new building and we need to have everything ready and prepared.
Also we have delay in delivery and we have to work first on this .-)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've got such a similar vintage Stowa chrono with identical subdials: There is no red line in it.
Maybe that Mike is right and it is not printed.b-)

Volker
Hello to all

Just read that thread and the posts with the questions about the red marking in the 30minute subdial of the Stowa Chrono that is for sale.
I´m the owner of this watch - and I can tell for sure that the red line is original on this dial - there is absolutely nothing handdrawn - it´s original like that.
I understand that this dial design is just for better reading of the measured time - so the red line marks the 15 minutes.
Try to get a good photo of the dial tomorrow and post it here.

Greetings from Germany

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, it certainly is a lovely piece Sharpie. Could you post those pics here in this thread? It would be nice to have it archived here. Best of luck with your sale too btw. :)

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That's great news Jorg! You sure know how to keep us in the poorhouse. :-d

Jorg, if you might have seen it, what is your opinion of that 60's piece in question? It seems to me that the time is nearly right for bringing back one of these retro looking designs but in a modern size.

I think one of these coolest aspects of the watch is the rotating bezel. That would really be an interesting feature since none of the Stowa chronos made in recent years have had one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great news for the soul, bad news for the ol' wallet :think:. So, something based on (one of) the existing models or a brand new design?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
A Stowa chrono would rock! I love the pics from the other thread Mike references above. That would shoot up to the top of my "want" list.

I must admit to NOT being a fan of 30 minute chronos though. Seems like 60 minutes minimum makes so much more sense to me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hello to all

Took another picture of my Stowa Chrono that was for sale on the sales corner (watch is sold now).
I think the picture shows clearly that the "red line" on the 30-minute subdial is not drawn by hand.

Additional Information came from the former owner of the watch:
He told me, when he bought the watch back then, that the jeweler he bought it from in 1969/1970 had this Stowa chrono in 3 different dial lay-outs and different hand styles. And that he choose his chrono with a rubber/plastic strap instead of the stainless steel bracelet that was offered with the watch too.

If I remember correctly there was the exact same model in the online Stowa-Museum (the homepage of the museum seems not to work at the moment) - but this model had a different minute-hand and a different movement (Valjoux 7733).

My Chrono has the Valjoux 7730 (Venus 188) and my watchmaker told me that Valjoux sold it only for two years until 1967 under the cal.name 7730.

I think it would be very interesting to get some more informations about this model from Joerg Schauer.

Would be great to see an old original catalogue with the different models.

Here`s the new picture:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh man, can't you just picture this piece in a 42mm case with double domed sapphire crystal, beveled rotating bezel, screwdown pushers and C3 lume? I'm not sure the hands would have to be the same shape and perhaps there could be some improvement there. I'd like to see the subdial hands lumed if possible and perhaps a lumed tip on the main chrono hand.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hello to all

Just read that thread and the posts with the questions about the red marking in the 30minute subdial of the Stowa Chrono that is for sale.
I´m the owner of this watch - and I can tell for sure that the red line is original on this dial - there is absolutely nothing handdrawn - it´s original like that.
I understand that this dial design is just for better reading of the measured time - so the red line marks the 15 minutes.
Try to get a good photo of the dial tomorrow and post it here.

Greetings from Germany

Here is my chrono:

Same subdials, but no red line:

Probably there were a few variations of cases, hands and dials,

Volker

1 - 20 of 25 Posts