WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
856 Posts
Re: how accurate is the barometer and the thermometer?

The smartphone based GPS's I've seen aint really very accurate, they are easily 70-80 meters of. Casios can be precise, provide one take care and calibrate often. Tissot T-Touch Expert is the most precise of these 3 units, it's rarely more than about 10 meters of. Without calibration.

·
Banned
856 Posts
Re: how accurate is the barometer and the thermometer?

Thomas, do you have any information on how Tissot is capable of being more accurate than Protrek? Also, how would you compare it to Suunto? :)
I havent tried a Suunto, they're not my cup of tea. I've been through several of the Suunto manuals though. I think several Suunto's get around the problem with a manual alti lock, which of course is no better than if the user remember to turn it on and off. They also have sealevel compensation - which basically just is a calculation of what the air pressure would be at sealevel, despite one being up in, say, the mountains. The major advantage of this, is they can be easier to calibate - provided one have the actual local sealevel pressure from another source.

Other Suunto's seems to do what the T-Touch Expert also do: They simply measures airpressure very often, I guess it's about once each 5 minutes or so, and if they registrer a fast pressurechange, they consider it a altitude change. And slow changes are considered a weatherchange. A challenge here, is if the weather suddenly get very rough fast - then the barometer change can be dramatically, but the watch usually will consider it a altitude change. The T-Touch Expert have the option of choosing a climate zone, which I believe will increase the watch ability to interpret these changes correctly. Dont know about Suunto.

I dont think T-Touch II have this kind of baro locks. A downside of these constant pressure measurings, is battery drain, and I'll bet that's why Casio havent made such things - they swear to solar... I'm still on my first battery in my Expert (13-14 months now), and have no clue on how long it will last. But I wouldnt mind to have the option of disabling the auto altimeter lock, in order to save battery.

But no matter what, all of these relatively simple barometers found in wristwatches, all share one problem: If you change altitude simultanously with a pressure change due to weather, the watch can only do it wrong - likely for oth alti and baro, if you are lucky, it only fails in one category ;-)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts