Accuracy of your ST-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi -

Thanks! You're the first one to report. Much better performance than what I have reported, makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong (which most certainly cannot be ruled out...). Will have to run my tests once again...

JohnF

· Registered
1,038 Posts
I'll have to wait to the weekend to test on my wrist. I'm a painter so I can't wear them to work

Seagull Chronograph, Model 0433(from cnmark)
1) will test on wrist on 9-28-07
2) face up: +08s/day
3) face down: +10s/day
4) crown down: 0s/day

Auguste Galan, SS Skeleton Chrono(from Heritagewatchcompany)
1) will test on wrist on 9-29-07
2) face up: +04s/day
3) face down: +14s/day
4) crown down: +10s/day

· Registered
2,098 Posts
I wear 5 watches with the ST1901 quite regularly, checked accuracy so far only when worn, these are the last values I jotted down for them:

Ray's Heuer remake: +20
Seagull 1963: +08
Seagull 0437: +10
Seagull 0433: +02
Seagull 0446: +06

As soon as I have time I will do the face down / face up / crown down tests.

· Registered
399 Posts
Wow, seems like except John's watch, anyone else is pretty accurate.

It is surprise to me that same movement gives different accuracy and most important and obviously, Sea-gulll knows very well how to adjust their own movement better than others.

Is there a secret trick which sea-gulll did not release to third party about how to adjust their movements? :-!

· Premium Member
5,450 Posts
OK, you are not going to believe this. I didn't. :-!

Auguste Galan Chronograph, (Seagull ST1901 mov't) (from WWOA)
1) +0s/day 24-hour wear
2) face up: +0s/day
3) face down: +0s/day
4) crown down: -1s/day

When I first "synched" my watch with Time.gov at 10:15:55 yesterday morning, my watch read 10:15:10. OK, so -45s behind. I couldn't believe it when I started checking it throughout the day and when my watch would roll up to 10s past the minute, I'd look up and Time.gov would be at 55s past the minute. Every time. Even when I checked it this morning.

The only time I lost/gained time was with the crown down. I understand that 1 second deviation during the 1hr test is 24 s/day (+/- up to 24s). Very crude, but an easily attained measurement.

What blows me away is the +0s/day!

Cheers,
gigfy

· Registered
316 Posts
I think it is just tedious to adjust the accuracy you need to monitor it in different positions, needs lots of time and effort. Also if John uses 1 hour to judge, it is prone to errors. If you miss read the start time by +one sec and the end time by - one sec the error of 2 seconds will itself will be multipled by 24 and become 48 seconds. Anyway John's watches are seagulls, and a lot of his readings are obtained not through wearing but testing by placing in static positions after manual winding. If you wear your watch, you will get better accuracy as the positional errors cancel each other.

· Registered
8,763 Posts
I think it is just tedious to adjust the accuracy you need to monitor it in different positions, needs lots of time and effort. Also if John uses 1 hour to judge, it is prone to errors. If you miss read the start time by +one sec and the end time by - one sec the error of 2 seconds will itself will be multipled by 24 and become 48 seconds. Anyway John's watches are seagulls, and a lot of his readings are obtained not through wearing but testing by placing in static positions after manual winding. If you wear your watch, you will get better accuracy as the positional errors cancel each other.
The quality of a movement can be determined (roughly) by the magnitude of the positional error. For example, if the poise is way off, the horizontal positional times (dial up, dial down) will be affected less than the vertical position timings. Similarly, if there is a bad spot on one of the balance jewels (a crack or chip) you will notice a positional variation.

John,

I might suggest that if you run the positional tests again, use the stopwatch function to measure the time displacement. (ie start the chrono at master clock reading: XX:YY:00 time, place in test position, wait an hour or two, then stop the chrono at master clock reading: X+1:YY:00 time.) This will tend to cancel out you reaction time (since it will be almost the same at the beginning as at the end.) And with the larger second hand frozen in place it will be easier measure the difference.

· Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi -

I am planning on retesting my two watches with the ST19 and will post on that, but right now reality is intruding...

JohnF

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Seagull Chronograph, Model 0433(from cnmark)
1) 24h on wrist -07s/day
2) face up: +08s/day
3) face down: +10s/day
4) crown down: 0s/day

Auguste Galan, SS Skeleton Chrono(from Heritagewatchcompany)
1) 24h on wrist +06s/day
2) face up: +04s/day
3) face down: +14s/day
4) crown down: +10s/day

· Registered
546 Posts
Haven't had time to test the positions, but mine runs at about +3 seconds a day. It's in a 'Micronic' Chronograph. It's more accurate than my Venus 175 (in a 'Chronographe Suisse') but less so than my Valjoux 7750 (in a Tissot 'Le Locle'). My guess is that the latter adjusts better to positions throughout the day.

The Micronic is a nice looking watch as well...sort of a Breguet ripoff, but well done.

· Registered
691 Posts
I was hoping to be able to post my new Seagull 1963 here by now but as soon as I receive the replacement for the one damaged in shipping I'll get up some results.

· Registered
691 Posts
I've only had mine a short while but so far it's so accurate that I'm going to have to really test it.

· Premium Member
6,150 Posts
I took some time and tested my ST19, inside an Alpha PN Hommage.

The first day I wore it for about 10 hours, and the deviation was 0 Sec!
That night I put it on it's back for 10 hours, and it ran about +8 sec's (which means +19 sec/24h :-s
The next day I put it on again for roughly 16 hours, and it gained a little bit, between 0,5 and 1 sec. That night I put belly up, and it gained 11 sec in 9 hours:-s
So now I was curious so I put it on it's crown for 6 hours. It gained about 1 sec. The next 6 hours I put the crown upwards, and it gained another 4 secs.

The result is that I do not understand measuring in different positions. In my watch in 4 positions it gains more or less time, and when I wear it, it's dead on. So I voted for less than 5 seconds, as I want it to run best while wearing, not when it's in the box ;-)

Could it have anything to do with temperature (warmer whilst wearing) or moving?

Regards,

Martin

· Registered
133 Posts
Been doing some accuracy testing on some of my watches the last few days. Saw the poll here, and figured I'd check my Alpha PN homage. Started at 7:30 this evenning with it running @ +7. Just checked it now (1:30am) ... and it's still running +7 :-!

Gotta say, I'm quite surprised (and very impressed) :)

Alpha 'Paul Newman' homage, worn on wrist for 6 hours with a full wind. Accuracy ... dead on!

I've got it in the face up position now, and will check it again tomorrow when I get up ...

· Registered
243 Posts
12 hour wearing: gains 12 seconds.

· Registered
49 Posts
I did a 6 position + on_wrist (at least one full day each) check of my Sea-gull M199s and Alpha PN and got the following results:

Sea-gull 199s
-1 on wrist
8,9,9 (3 day check) seconds fast crown down
8 seconds fast crown up
11 seconds fast dial up
14,13 (2 day check) seconds fast dial down
11 seconds fast 12 up
7 seconds fast 12 down

Alpha Paul Newman (too bad I had to send it back for a broken click)
-1,0.-2, -1, -8, 1 (6 day check) seconds fast on wrist,
9 seconds fast crown down,
11 seconds fast crown up,
10 seconds fast dial up,
17,19,16 (3 day check) seconds fast dial down,
8 seconds fast 12 up,
1 second fast 12 down

Both watches were significantly more accurate on my wrist and the errors were significantly different from any of the 6 fixed test positions. I read somewhere that heat makes a mechanical watch slow down - does the heat of my wrist cause this discrepancy?

For reference, I have an Omega 2254.50 and did the same tests and got the following results:

Omega 2254,50
2.25 (4 day average) 3,3,2,0 (4 more individual days) fast on wrist
5 seconds fast crown down
3 seconds fast crown up
5 seconds fast dial up
9 seconds fast dial down
0,0 (2 days) seconds fast 12 up
7 seconds fast 12 down

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.