WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Accuracy of your ST-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

How accurate is your ST-19?

34K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  YGRIG 
#1 ·
Hi -

I've got two watches with the ST-19 inside, Seagull's re-interpretation of the classic Venus 175, and I'm not that happy with them. Am I the only one?

I'd like to gather some statistics.

If you've got a Seagull or other watches with a ST-19 inside, let's test them all together.

First of all, let me know what watch the movement is in.

Second, time it as you normally wear it day-to-day. Please set it to a known source, then wear it for at least 24 hours and note the time deviation.

Now, third, the following is a tad more complex...and where it gets more interesting!

Wind the watch and set to a known time source.

Place it face up for 1 hour, note the time deviation.
Place it face down for 1 hour, note the time deviation.
Place it crown down for 1 hour, note the time deviation.

I've put together 6 categories to judge this:

1) Dead on (less than 5 seconds deviation in any category)

2) Pretty good (5-15 seconds deviation in any category)

3) Good (15-30 seconds deviation in any category)

4) OK (30-60 seconds deviation in any category)

5) Hmmm.... (more than 60 seconds deviation in any category)

6) Leave me alone, I love my ST-19 regardless of how it keeps time. :)

Here's my initial two entries:

Seagull Chronograph (not sure of model, from jtbold):

1) +12 s/day 24-hour wear
2) face up: +47 s/day
3) face down: +14s/day
4) crown down: -22s/day

Seagull Chronograph, 1963 chrono re-issue (from cnmark)
1) +14s/day 24-hour wear
2) face up: +93s/day
3) face down: +17s/day
4) crown down: -12s/day

I will compile the results on a running basis and post a chart showing the results for all and anyone interested.

I'm not interested in bashing the ST-19 or anything like that: I think it's a great idea to resurrect classic calibres from the past and reissue them. I'm just curious as to whether my fairly bizarre results (the +47s/day and +93s/day) are outliers or whether others have this problem as well. Further, I'm trying to see what sort of benchmark we can put together on this...and please do be honest about the accuracy, not everyone gets such great results...

See less See more
#30 ·
Seagull Chronograph, Model 0433(from cnmark)
1) 24h on wrist -07s/day
2) face up: +08s/day
3) face down: +10s/day
4) crown down: 0s/day

Auguste Galan, SS Skeleton Chrono(from Heritagewatchcompany)
1) 24h on wrist +06s/day
2) face up: +04s/day
3) face down: +14s/day
4) crown down: +10s/day

#33 ·
Haven't had time to test the positions, but mine runs at about +3 seconds a day. It's in a 'Micronic' Chronograph. It's more accurate than my Venus 175 (in a 'Chronographe Suisse') but less so than my Valjoux 7750 (in a Tissot 'Le Locle'). My guess is that the latter adjusts better to positions throughout the day.

The Micronic is a nice looking watch as well...sort of a Breguet ripoff, but well done.

#34 ·
I was hoping to be able to post my new Seagull 1963 here by now but as soon as I receive the replacement for the one damaged in shipping I'll get up some results.

#36 ·
I've only had mine a short while but so far it's so accurate that I'm going to have to really test it.

#37 ·
I took some time and tested my ST19, inside an Alpha PN Hommage.

The first day I wore it for about 10 hours, and the deviation was 0 Sec!
That night I put it on it's back for 10 hours, and it ran about +8 sec's (which means +19 sec/24h :-s
The next day I put it on again for roughly 16 hours, and it gained a little bit, between 0,5 and 1 sec. That night I put belly up, and it gained 11 sec in 9 hours:-s
So now I was curious so I put it on it's crown for 6 hours. It gained about 1 sec. The next 6 hours I put the crown upwards, and it gained another 4 secs.

The result is that I do not understand measuring in different positions. In my watch in 4 positions it gains more or less time, and when I wear it, it's dead on. So I voted for less than 5 seconds, as I want it to run best while wearing, not when it's in the box ;-)

Could it have anything to do with temperature (warmer whilst wearing) or moving?

Regards,

Martin

#38 ·
Been doing some accuracy testing on some of my watches the last few days. Saw the poll here, and figured I'd check my Alpha PN homage. Started at 7:30 this evenning with it running @ +7. Just checked it now (1:30am) ... and it's still running +7 :-!

Gotta say, I'm quite surprised (and very impressed) :)

Alpha 'Paul Newman' homage, worn on wrist for 6 hours with a full wind. Accuracy ... dead on!

I've got it in the face up position now, and will check it again tomorrow when I get up ...

#39 ·
12 hour wearing: gains 12 seconds.

#40 ·
I did a 6 position + on_wrist (at least one full day each) check of my Sea-gull M199s and Alpha PN and got the following results:

Sea-gull 199s
-1 on wrist
8,9,9 (3 day check) seconds fast crown down
8 seconds fast crown up
11 seconds fast dial up
14,13 (2 day check) seconds fast dial down
11 seconds fast 12 up
7 seconds fast 12 down

Alpha Paul Newman (too bad I had to send it back for a broken click)
-1,0.-2, -1, -8, 1 (6 day check) seconds fast on wrist,
9 seconds fast crown down,
11 seconds fast crown up,
10 seconds fast dial up,
17,19,16 (3 day check) seconds fast dial down,
8 seconds fast 12 up,
1 second fast 12 down

Both watches were significantly more accurate on my wrist and the errors were significantly different from any of the 6 fixed test positions. I read somewhere that heat makes a mechanical watch slow down - does the heat of my wrist cause this discrepancy?

For reference, I have an Omega 2254.50 and did the same tests and got the following results:

Omega 2254,50
2.25 (4 day average) 3,3,2,0 (4 more individual days) fast on wrist
5 seconds fast crown down
3 seconds fast crown up
5 seconds fast dial up
9 seconds fast dial down
0,0 (2 days) seconds fast 12 up
7 seconds fast 12 down

#41 ·
Invicta 5102, laid on a shelf for about a year, then worn for three months by now.

Daily wear: -35..-31 s/day
Dial up: -32 s/day
Dial down: -33 s/day
Crown up: -18 s/day
Crown down: -20 s/day

I am not sure whether it can be put in the "OK" category in the poll, according to the manual it must go within -15..+35 seconds per day. But these are the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.