WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Friend recently bought a Navitimer and wanted me to show him how to work it. I saw it and fell in love with it so i will be buying myself one sometime. But, when i read the instructions and found that you had to wind the time back and forth to set the date, i was very under-impressed. Obviously i didn't say that to him, but instead made, as usual, excuses up for Breitling doing this, as i do swear by Breitlings. However, there is a pull out position for date setting when you pull the crown out, so i can imagine that some poor person will think theirs is broken if they don't read the instructions . . . how annoying is that?

·
Registered
328 Posts
:think: Am I the only one who didn't get this?? What are you saying here exactly??

I guess I might just not understand. But I, for one, don't find the good ol' Navi annoying...

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,080 Posts
Hi, Joe. Here is the interpretation...

:think: Am I the only one who didn't get this?? What are you saying here exactly??

I guess I might just not understand. But I, for one, don't find the good ol' Navi annoying...
He's talking about the caliber B23 losing the "quick-set" date function of the caliber B13. An unfortunate loss necessitated by Breitling's decision to revive the classic "tri-compax" subdial configuration. The rearrangement of the subdials for the B23 meant there was no longer room for that very much appreciated quickset complication. The two "pulled out positions" of the crown remain for the V7750 movement just as they do on a 7750 which doesn't even have a "date wheel" installed. My LS-1 is an example of the latter description. Hope this helps... :)
Cheers,
Ron

PS. Another reason I much prefer the B13 Old Navitimers beside liking the 6,9,12 aesthetics better. BTW, the "quickset" date function (first pulled out crown position) was brilliantly added to Breitling's Quartz I, Quartz II and SuperQuartz calibers, thank goodness. Gotta love that kind of thinking... :-!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Re: Hi, Joe. Here is the interpretation...

He's talking about the caliber B23 losing the "quick-set" date function of the caliber B13. An unfortunate loss necessitated by Breitling's decision to revive the classic "tri-compax" subdial configuration.
Good info. I quite like it - you gotta remember what a classic this is. Compare this to another tri-compax classic, the Omega Speedmaster, which doesn't even have a date.

But I do agree that it takes some kind of familiarization - my AD showed me. I don't find it irritating. I like to think that back in the day these were worn by guys who wore theirs every day, and had to adjust the date only several times a year.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wear mine every day and need date setting only at the end of the months with 30 days. I don't see it as a big loss since I like the 3-6-9 config better, IMO it gives the watch a more classic look.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Thanks for the clarification, Ron!

·
Registered
367 Posts

He's talking about the caliber B23 losing the "quick-set" date function of the caliber B13. An unfortunate loss necessitated by Breitling's decision to revive the classic "tri-compax" subdial configuration. The rearrangement of the subdials for the B23 meant there was no longer room for that very much appreciated quickset complication. The two "pulled out positions" of the crown remain for the V7750 movement just as they do on a 7750 which doesn't even have a "date wheel" installed. My LS-1 is an example of the latter description. Hope this helps... :)
Cheers,
Ron

PS. Another reason I much prefer the B13 Old Navitimers beside liking the 6,9,12 aesthetics better. BTW, the "quickset" date function (first pulled out crown position) was brilliantly added to Breitling's Quartz I, Quartz II and SuperQuartz calibers, thank goodness. Gotta love that kind of thinking... :-!
Doesn't the Navitimer World have the quick set feature as well? :-s

·
Registered
225 Posts

Rolex GMTII/Explorer II and the Omega GMT models also do not have a quick-set date function. I'm not sure the Breitling Colt GMT has it either. Its a small price to pay but it does get rather annoying if the date is very far off (at most 15 days).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts