WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After some searching, some deals on Amazon on some Revue pilot models are really good |> I really like its design, movement Valjoux Chrono, Sapphire, etc..
But I'm curious about the brand. I don't find it too popular in here ( no dedicated sub-forum, discussions pop up here and there but that's it).

So just how is Revue Thommen's reputation ? A quick wiki shows it has quite a history, since 1853. Of course I don't think it belongs to high-end group, but how is it compared to mid-range like Hamilton or Tissot ?
:thanks

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
It's a brand with a great history, I would rate it well above Tissot or Hamilton.
I have a Revue and while I would rate it above Tissot I am not so sure about Hamilton...

This thing is a tank and the case is exceptionally well built:

Well made with a solid, Elabore grade 2824-2 but without the nice details which you often find on a Hamilton.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've had a few of the Airspeed Classic titanium chronographs - two quartz and an auto, the latter with the Lemania 5100. Excellent build quality, with very little to complain about. Relatively low profile watch design, from a low profile brand (now owned by Grovana) with a history in clocks, watches and cockpit intruments. Well worth a look, especially since you can be confident that 50% of the price hasn't gone to fund an advertising budget, but that also means it's generally a watch you buy for yourself, because you like it, not because you want to impress someone...

Here's the quartz version I sold last year:

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Tough analogy. Thommen's been bought and merged, Tissot is slowly going techie and Hamilton is only a shadow of it's once respected self.
IMHO I'd put Thommen above the other two.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've had a few of the Airspeed Classic titanium chronographs - two quartz and an auto, the latter with the Lemania 5100. Excellent build quality, with very little to complain about. Relatively low profile watch design, from a low profile brand (now owned by Grovana) with a history in clocks, watches and cockpit intruments. Well worth a look, especially since you can be confident that 50% of the price hasn't gone to fund an advertising budget, but that also means it's generally a watch you buy for yourself, because you like it, not because you want to impress someone...

Here's the quartz version I sold last year:
I am the owner of the lemania version of the watch in titanium case and I can tell you that as far as quality is concerned I am completely satisfied! I could easily buy another RT anytime!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Revue Thommen (the watchmaking division) is now fully owned by Grovana. The instrument division is still independent and is a separate entity.

Grovana has also purchased some of the old tooling from when Revue was a part of MSR Holdings (in the '60s and early '70s), Vulcain was also a part of MSR Holdings then. Revue can now offer something that very few Swiss watchmakers can, their own movements (and not one can offer them at the prices that Revue is offering theirs).

I have a Revue-Sport 50's with the in-house GT55 self-wind movement (non-hacking, handwindable, 26 jewels, small seconds at 6 and beats at a leisurely 19800 bph). That watch has been very accurate (consistently between +2 and +6 seconds a day). The GT54 is similar to the GT55 with the only difference being a center sweep seconds hand. They offer a few other self and handwind calibers, mostly for men's watches. I believe the movement division has been named "Revue Thommen Manufacture". Very nice watches for the money (including the models housing bog-standard ETA movements).

·
Registered
975 Posts
Here's my Lemania 5100 auto Airspeed Chrono: it's small and light (38.5mm across and only 60g, head only) and wears very well. It's my...I hesitate to call it a beater...my preferred wear, on a NATO, in tight situations, like when yacht racing or on the beach. Also incredibly accurate - I wore it recently for 6 days non-stop and it was less than 1 sec out over the whole period.

BTW, I reviewed the quartz Airspeed model above on WUS a while ago - link here: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=217215

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Pics of my Revue-Sport 50's:

With my Zenith El Primero -

The in-house GT55 movement -

Wrist-shot -

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Higher than Tissot, Mido, Hamilton, Certina. Around Alpina level. On par or maybe just a little below Oris level.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I've had several over the years and currently have the one below. Nice mid-range watches, on a par with Oris and just below Longines. Nice bang-for-the-buck.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Reactions: JM252

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
The fact that WUS has chosen to use a format that allows old posts to be renewed by a current poster indicates that they think it makes sense to do so. And sometimes it's interesting to read the updates. The OP didn't indicate that he needed timely info to make a decision anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My bad, I actually forgot to look at the date posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts