WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting a bit annoyed with this trend in watches towards really big case sizes. SWI had a nice "President" type watch last night that was amazing except it was 46mm. It was pretty damn sweet. ETA 2834, sapphire front and back, genuine alligator, full day at 12, and to top it off, it came with a nice winder. All for just $299. It made me sick because it was so damn big. To me the ideal size is between 40 and 42mm. I can go up to 43mm max so when I see a really nice watch that I can't wear because it's sized for an NFL lineman it makes me a bit unhappy.

http://tinyurl.com/yjg7ub

The pic doesn't do it justice, IMO.

I expect these coffee cups from Invicta but not from SWI. It was a real pity I tell ya.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Pretty sharp but not only is it big, the dial makes it seem even bigger. I was reading a guide on amazon that said anything over 43 makes people seem like the jr. high kid who borrows his dads watch for the big dance. LOL. My biggest is prolly 44mm but most are around 40-42.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm getting a bit annoyed with...really big case sizes...made me sick because it was so damn big.
Made ya sick!?!?!?!, Hate to think what happens when something really bad occurs :-d

Looking at the pix from the website you linked to, I'm guessing the 46mm is with crown. That would make the watch case 42mm, just right for a man's dress watch (IMHO). I never consider a watch smaller than 42mm dress, 45mm diver, they look like a women's watch on my 8" wrist. It's a relative thing.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I saw that watch lastnite my self and kinda thought about getting it then I changed my mine because im trying to get something else also, I would like to say lastnite was a good chance to get one of the better ones untouched if you know what I mean. Maybe you should try the watch out just to see how it would be on your wrist.

JMHO I thought that was a nice watch too:-!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Made ya sick!?!?!?!, Hate to think what happens when something really bad occurs :-d

Looking at the pix from the website you linked to, I'm guessing the 46mm is with crown. That would make the watch case 42mm, just right for a man's dress watch (IMHO). I never consider a watch smaller than 42mm dress, 45mm diver, they look like a women's watch on my 8" wrist. It's a relative thing.
I was gonna suggest the same thing. It looks like they might have given the lug to lug measurement. I would guess the case size at about 40-42mm.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Extra silly points for being a dress style watch and so large I think.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was gonna suggest the same thing. It looks like they might have given the lug to lug measurement. I would guess the case size at about 40-42mm.
Nope. Jim measured the case without crown as he always does. The strap is 24mm. How many 24mm straps you see on 40mm watches?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Nope. Jim measured the case without crown as he always does. The strap is 24mm. How many 24mm straps you see on 40mm watches?
Did he ever learn to use that micrometer correctly? :-d

Although I have a few 43mm & 44mm that are properly designed, I think to the average wrist, anything over 42mm is too large!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I'm getting a bit annoyed with this trend in watches towards really big case sizes. SWI had a nice "President" type watch last night that was amazing except it was 46mm. It was pretty damn sweet. ETA 2834, sapphire front and back, genuine alligator, full day at 12, and to top it off, it came with a nice winder. All for just $299. It made me sick because it was so damn big. To me the ideal size is between 40 and 42mm. I can go up to 43mm max so when I see a really nice watch that I can't wear because it's sized for an NFL lineman it makes me a bit unhappy.

http://tinyurl.com/yjg7ub

The pic doesn't do it justice, IMO.

I expect these coffee cups from Invicta but not from SWI. It was a real pity I tell ya.
Odd because I typically don't watch the shows on TV about watches but for some reason I caught that particular watch. I agree with you, it looked like a good deal until I saw it on one of the wrists and it was HUGE. Definitely not something I could ever wear (6-3 8.25 in wrists). On the other hand, they must be selling them or they'd stop making them.:think:

·
Registered
8,827 Posts

No, the watch was 46mm without the crowns. My wrist is bigger than yours and I find those big watches unwearable. Its a personal thing that each of us has to decide but a dress watch that intrudes on things and becomes the central focus is not for me.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I think it is all a matter of personal taste and there is no doubt over the last couple of years that Watches have become larger. I am currently wearing one at 44mm. I would never have worn one this big a few years ago, but I doubt I would ever buy one any bigger. I saw a nice Steinhart that I fancied, but when I saw it was 47mm without the crown, it was a definate no no for me. I think the largest I have seen is a Zeno at 55mm. Now that's not a Watch, it's a Helicopter landing pad.<| :-d

This is the Watch I am wearing, does it look too big?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
My Sinn UX is 44 mm on my 7 1/4" wrist and I feel fine with it.
My EcoDoorknob at 48 mm makes me feel a bit silly to be honest...lol.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I have that Zeno that is 50mm or 55mm Diver and it is nice or was nice anyway its a heavy watch but, i got tired of it so I decided to try and get rid of it not because of the size just the watch itself. now 46mm for a dress watch i dont know because i havent seen it in person so i cant comment either way. like I said in my first post you dont know how it is until you try it out for yourself but it is obvious that Motor doesnt like it (because of his reasons and i can respect his feelings or any other person as well).

Actually that watch reminds me of the Hamilton Jazzmaster. I say get that instead Motor if you like that type of watch but you will have to pay and addional $200

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Ken when I first saw that watch Hammy X wind I thought it was busy but the more i keep looking at it, it really isnt maybe it was the dail or something that kinda threw me but that is really nice:-!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
This is the Watch I am wearing, does it look too big?
No, it looks to be at the edge but not too big. I'd think one bigger would look too big.

I have noticed that two factors other than simple diameter factor into how a watch looks size-wise for me. How the lugs are made (curve, length, etc.) and the thickness of the case.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Master Ken is right. Some big watches do play well on the wrist. My Alba is 44mm but doesn't look too big. Ken's Hammy X-wind looks great on his wrist! My two Poljots are 45mm and as much as I love them they just overwhelm my wrists so I don't wear them very much any more. One mm should not make that big of a difference but it can and does. I think Doc is right too. The lugs can make a big difference.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts