WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s no secret that some negative displays can be read fairly easily , while others are a giant pain in the arse. I am both a collector of vintage and current G’s , and it seems some of the vintage negative displays were equal to, or even superior to today’s negative displays. A case in point is my vintage AWG-101 solar/atomic MB5 : E0FF4382-1875-41DC-A181-2AE046CD752C.jpeg What are ways Casio can improve their negative displays?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Isn't the STN LCD supposed to be better for negative displays? Like in the Casio Protrek 3510.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Recently, I have been avoiding most new negative screen Casio. I still wear the ones I already have, but all new ones will be positive screens for the most part.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Positive for me every time. Also at 56 years old my unaided close eyesight is not what it was so when I wear my GPR-B1000 Rangeman the huge time display is great. Maybe it's just me but negative displays seem more like something that is done just because it doesn't cost anything yet don't actually improve the usability of the item. Another thing that slightly disappoints me is that red colours and bits of trim (like on my new Rangeman) always look great in official photos but in the flesh they always seem more muted or is it just me?

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
there are good neg models so theres nothing that needs to be done other than spending the money to apply the same processes to the not so great models, but thats where the problem lies, if ppl are going to keep buying the squint worthy negs then theyre just going to keep making them. just look at the olive ranger, one of the worse neg displays but also one of the most popular models next to the regular garden variety one. same goes for ga110s, illegible analog hands backed up by a tiny illegible digi subdial = one of the highest selling models of all time.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Another thing that slightly disappoints me is that red colours and bits of trim (like on my new Rangeman) always look great in official photos but in the flesh they always seem more muted or is it just me?
same reason why the picture on the box of the tv dinner doesnt look the same :p haha

·
Premium Member
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don’t get me wrong , when a negative display is essential to the watch’s appearance and is executed well it can be a tremendous plus. Case in point is my GW-5510-1BJF stealth model as shown below. The problem as I see it, is that Casio must also have a sub-standard negative display design or manufacturing process, and that is what is used on many/most of today’s negative display G-Shocks. Again , I find that the GW-5510-1BJF negative display below works well with the stealth intent of the watch and is also fairly legible. C0B9F810-F6AA-4618-8E9D-2D189285835E.jpeg D3DEEF50-42FD-46DF-AD2D-0F5CB98F7FDF.jpeg 7BBD57D4-E03B-443C-A9D1-C4D2B4154943.jpeg

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently bought my first Casio digital - a Rangeman with positive display.
My eyes have enough trouble reading a positive display, so never thought of buying a negative.
My eyes are 72 y/o and need all the help they can get.

Rangeman.jpg

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
The solar negatives tend to be inferior, I'm guessing because of the extra layer from the solar panel.
The non-solars seem to be clearer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The solar negatives tend to be inferior, I'm guessing because of the extra layer from the solar panel.
The non-solars seem to be clearer.
Indeed. They have watches where the solar panel does not add an extra transparent layer .. but they don't bother to do this across the board.

STN displays have been around for so very long now and can't see why they just don't stick to using them in all
Indeed, Casio had a color STN factory in 1994. It is not a new technology. Yet here we are in 2019 asking that they put STN on this model, or that model ...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Well for one they can stop making them so small. The GA2100 and GA2000 displays are so tiny! Using a non-STN negative display on them makes me think Casio purposely made them even more unreadable.

The only way to "improve" on them is to make the displays large and STN. Not the other way around.

IMG_20190604_095447.jpg

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Jokes aside it a matter of parts bin and profit/price.
They, Casio, can make them for sure. Why they choose not and produce some totally horrible examples may be point of another humorous discussion.
Timex makes great positive and negative display watches too. That said Timex Ironman used to have one of the best LCD in business and that translates into quality of negative display because they are essentially same unit with 90 degree twist of polarizer.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Negative displays are less legible due to the fact that only the digits reflect light. That's a tiny part of the display. Then there's the problem with internal reflection. Stray light bouncing around inside the watch between the inside of the crystal and the front surface of the LCD reduce contrast and legibility. It's even worse on the watches with solar panels, like the GWM5610BC as there are two additional glass surfaces for light scattering.

One easy thing that Casio does to improve legibility on the basic squares with negative display is to increase the size of the digits. It makes some difference but it's still not good enough. I wish that they'd do that to all of their negative displays. Another thing that Casio can do is to add an AR coating to the inside of the crystal and to the top surface of the LCD. They should do that with the more expensive watches that use STN displays.

Speaking of STN displays, the negative versions are easier to read but there are some cost increases. The cost increase is very slight between TN and STN though so I wish Casio would just go STN on all of their digital watches. I'm sure their bean counters are watching every penny and on watches that they sell millions of, cost of materials is watched very closely.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts