WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my BB36 several months ago from an AD, and received it just over one month ago. I want to find out if it’s using the T600 or trusted Calibre 2824, can someone help me with this?

The reference number for both the ETA and Sellita begin with 79500. That is the main reference number on my watch. So I’m finding it hard to figure out which movement is inside based off that. Anyone know how I can find out which movement it uses (besides opening it up)?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tudor ONLY use Tudor modified ETA movements, no Sellitas.
This was true until recently. Tudor use a modified Sellita in the new Royal line, see the following article: Introducing: The Tudor Royal Collection - HODINKEE

Sadly, I see they updated the BB36 to using a T600 movement too: Discover the TUDOR Black Bay 36 Watch - m79500-0007

I really want to find out which movement my watch is using. Someone on Reddit suggested asking my AD to ask Tudor. But I wonder if there's another way.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
This was true until recently. Tudor use a modified Sellita in the new Royal line, see the following article: Introducing: The Tudor Royal Collection - HODINKEE

Sadly, I see they updated the BB36 to using a T600 movement too: Discover the TUDOR Black Bay 36 Watch - m79500-0007

I really want to find out which movement my watch is using. Someone on Reddit suggested asking my AD to ask Tudor. But I wonder if there's another way.
Which is why I deleted my original reply. It would seem Tudor is doing something sneaky and switching to Sellitas instead of ETAs.

Most would argue they are the same grade, personally I don't think they are.

And it's sad indeed to see a company of Tudor's size to pull something like this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which is why I deleted my original reply. It would seem Tudor is doing something sneaky and switching to Sellitas instead of ETAs.

Most would argue they are the same grade, personally I don't think they are.

And it's sad indeed to see a company of Tudor's size to pull something like this.
No worries, I agree that it is very sneaky, and personally changes my view of Tudor.

I agree on it being an inferior movement too, the fact that my watch only gains +2secs a day makes me hopefull that it's the ETA. Really hoping someone on this forum can come through with some good advice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excuse my ignorance but what’s the issue with sellita? Is it that much lower than ETA? I assume the switch is due to the tightening supply of ETA movements.
Part of Tudor's DNA was using ETA movements. ETA Tudors are already becoming collectable, which affects the resale value. Personally, there's just something about Sellitas being a direct copy of what is already a third party movement that just turns me off.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Part of Tudor's DNA was using ETA movements. ETA Tudors are already becoming collectable, which affects the resale value. Personally, there's just something about Sellitas being a direct copy of what is already a third party movement that just turns me off.
My understanding is that Sellita is not a "direct copy". They are very very similar but there are some material differences between the two. I think Archer in another thread did a very thorough breakdown of the differences. I tend to have a little bit of a bias against Sellita and prefer ETA; I tend to think of Selitta as sort of a more budget alternative and not quite as high quality. I'm not sure if this bias is justified.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My understanding is that Sellita is not a "direct copy". They are very very similar but there are some material differences between the two. I think Archer in another thread did a very thorough breakdown of the differences. I tend to have a little bit of a bias against Sellita and prefer ETA; I tend to think of Selitta as sort of a more budget alternative and not quite as high quality. I'm not sure if this bias is justified.
Sure, there are technically some "differences". But, my point is not to debate the differences between the two movements.... Like yourself, I feel the Sellita is more budget alternative, and personally I wouldn't knowingly pay > $3000 for a Sellita based watch.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I wish I had something more to contribute other than that I, too, am in the same boat! I bought a 1926 in May under the impression that it was powered by a 2824. At the time, photos of a Tudor SW200-1 were floating around but assumed to be counterfeit. It makes me wonder how long they've actually been using Sellita but claiming ETA... all year? after reopening over the summer? just recently as a result of economic uncertainty. I think I'll go to my AD as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish I had something more to contribute other than that I, too, am in the same boat! I bought a 1926 in May under the impression that it was powered by a 2824. At the time, photos of a Tudor SW200-1 were floating around but assumed to be counterfeit. It makes me wonder how long they've actually been using Sellita but claiming ETA... all year? after reopening over the summer? just recently as a result of economic uncertainty. I think I'll go to my AD as well.
I'm pretty sure they couldn't legally have it listed on their site as Calibre 2824 but use the Sellita instead... So I think/hope it's a recent change for the BB36 atleast, as last time I checked on Tudor's site (2 months ago) it was listed as using the Calibre 2824. Will be good if you check though, hopefully we still have the ETA versions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i see. It’s more of a heritage thing than necessarily an issue with its innate quality. That’s fair.

Same argument people have with hesalite vs sapphire for the speedy IMO. It could be worse. They could be using a Chinese ETA clone.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm pretty sure they couldn't legally have it listed on their site as Calibre 2824 but use the Sellita instead... So I think/hope it's a recent change for the BB36 atleast, as last time I checked on Tudor's site (2 months ago) it was listed as using the Calibre 2824. Will be good if you check though, hopefully we still have the ETA versions.
That’s true. I would hope so, at least.

You’re right that the change on their website must have happened fairly recently. I remember looking at it when the Royal came out here in September and it still listed their 3rd-party movements as 2824.

I’ll still check with my AD too and get back to you.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I also plan to ask about what happens to ETA models that go in for service after this change. Will they swap them out for the Sellitas?

Reactions: ThisTudorOwner

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm surprised if Tudor is now using Sellita Movements. This should have been reported long ago if indeed it is a true. We have what, about three hundred watch websites/blogs that report on watch news every day, including Hodinkee, and this is the first we hear? Ridiculous! Nothing against Sellita and nothing against Miyota's 9015 either. We can have arguments all day which is the best movement. But no manufacturer should be able to slap in movements without being transparent about it. Do you remember Tudor coming out with their first "In-House Movement" and not saying a word about it? No you didn't because it didn't happen and all they could talk about was their new great movement, along with everyone else in the watch world. This standard should be the same with every movement they use. Tudor, like every manufacturer should celebrate whatever movements they are using and tell us what modifications they've made to bring it up to a higher standard. You don't buy a Mercedes Benz with a Volkswagen engine do you?

1 - 20 of 178 Posts