WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to protect the watch case and improve the appearance. I am simply wondering if this can be done simply and inexpensively.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
You could improve the appearance of the watch by simply polishing the crystal,
use toothpaste or a metal polish such as Silvo/Brasso and you'll polish the fine scratches
from the crystal no probs.
The case has lost some plating and any polishing will result in more plating loss and
so cannot really be improved on the cheap.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
a light cloth metal polishing cream like Flitz, or Brasso would do a lot. Just dont rub too hard and buff with very soft cloth. It wont take of enough plating to make a difference and it wil shine like crazy

·
Registered
846 Posts
That might be a Felsa Bidynator in there. Another option is you can replace the crystal, they're cheap. My guy in Calgary used to charge $10. What part of Canada are you in?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is, Felsa 692. The Maritimes and yes we got hammered in the December storms. I do not like a perfect new crystal on an old watch.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
a light cloth metal polishing cream like Flitz, or Brasso would do a lot. Just dont rub too hard and buff with very soft cloth. It wont take of enough plating to make a difference and it wil shine like crazy
I second the above method. A suggestion for when you are done is to invest about $10 in a "Blitz" cloth. It's a jewelers cloth that is impregated with metal polish. It will shine that puppy right up.

Jewelry Care Cloth 8" x 10"

Worth it's weight in gold to me,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I've found it best to clean before polishing. If you start right in, all the gritty dirt will just scratch everything up more.
To do it properly you'll need to remove the mvt from the case.
Flitz is great.
A 4-sided foam-backed fingernail file/polisher does wonders for acrylic crystals; follow up with Polywatch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts