WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

A family member is looking to purchase his first Rolex watch, trouble is with so many fakes around at the moment how can you tell if the watch is real? Does anyone have any idea's or places to go to get it certified? Im based in the UK.

Thanks

watchwatcher2010

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
The only way to know with absolute certainty is to have the watch opened and the movement verified. Most ADs and any Rolex-certified watchmaker can do that.

However, if your relative is new to the world of Rolex, they're probably better off buying from a Rolex AD (Authorized Dealer). They will pay more, of course, but they will be absolutely assured the watch is genuine and they will get the Rolex 2 year warranty.

Remember, even boxes and papers can (and are) faked. Just because a watch says it comes with box and papers, does not mean it's real.

Also, Rolex watches can be pieced together with a mixture of genuine Rolex and non-Rolex parts. These "Frankenwatches" can often seem to be the real thing because bits of them are, but they're not, in fact, genuine Rolexes. Melrose Jewelers does this.

Barring an AD, your relative can consider using a reliable and well-respected GD (Gray Dealer). If your relative goes with a reputable GD, the watch is most likely genuine, and it will come with a warranty, but it won't be a Rolex warranty. It will be one offered by the GD.

People here can recommend good GDs and sellers. DavidSW on www.rolexforums.com is reputable. I have heard good things about Bernard Watches as well. I am sure other members will chime in with names too.

I'd still go with an AD though. Part of the fun of buying your first Rolex is the experience. A watch purchased off the internet is not going to give you that. Also, the Rolex warranty has value to me. But that's my opinion and others are likely to disagree.

Jeannie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for you're reply Jeannie I hadn't realised how in depth people go to pass a Rolex off as a fake. We are already very dubious about purchasing items of value over the internet so I think a visit to a store would definitely be the best choice.

Is there a way we can check that a store would be an authorized dealer?

Thanks again for your reply it was very helpful.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
open it up , do a research on that model with serial period. Lot of fakes are made but knowing the watch feature before buying from non AD is key.;-)

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I'd still go with an AD though. Part of the fun of buying your first Rolex is the experience. A watch purchased off the internet is not going to give you that. Also, the Rolex warranty has value to me. But that's my opinion and others are likely to disagree.

Jeannie
That's the experience I was after when I picked up my first Rolex, last month. Do not regret going the AD route at all. And, FWIW, the two-year Rolex warranty, to me as well, is easily worth the premium.

mike.

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
Do you want new or used?

New AD is the only way but prepare to be fleeced, little in the way of discounts and Rolex price list going up year on year.

Used, couple of good website/dealers in the UK.

one is www.watches.co.uk which I have bought 3 from them and there service is 12 above excellent. I am not affiliated to them.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Buy it from DavidSW. You'll save loads, get the original Rolex Warranty and under your own name. Can't recommend him enough.
:-!:-!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was not aware DavidSW's watches had Rolex warranties. That is good to know.

Jeannie
As I type, the warranty card (under MY name) is in my wallet and my original Rolex GMT is on my wrist.

I confirmed it's authenticity with an AD as well.

He's stellar.|>|>

·
Registered
506 Posts
I wasn't doubting you. :)

Jeannie
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound as though you were. I was just stressing the fact that I have standard Rolex warranty for the watch.

Sorry for the confusion! :)

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
I was not aware DavidSW's watches had Rolex warranties. That is good to know.

Jeannie
My white-dialed Milguass (from DavidSW) was brand-new with all the plastic in place and the warranty card stamped by the AD but without any name filled-out. It was just like I picked it up from the AD, except I saved over $2,000 and no sales tax.b-)

·
Registered
526 Posts
The only way to be sure is to watch them assemble it at the factory. You then snatch it from the watchmakers hands. Then you know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts