WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perfect fit for me got the BMW already just missing my Omega coming in 6 weeks.

Based on a couple factors including: Brand Values, Brand History, Brand Volume (rarity), and Overall brand worth.

Omega : BMW

IWC : Porsche (although AMG is most fitting here due to their many partnerships)
JLC : Ferrari
Panerai : Audi
Vacheron Constantin : Maserati
Rolex : Mercedes
Hublot : Audi R Group
Patek : Rolls Royce
Audemars Piguet : Lamborghini
Seiko : Honda (honda makes a whole crapload of stuff from generators to heavy machinery like Seiko makes printers (Epson) and AC condensers)
Citizen : Toyota
Sinn : Lotus
Zenith : Saab
Jaguar : Bremont
Victorinox : Peugot
Montblanc : Samsung (Surprise they make cars too! Surprise Montblanc makes watches too!)
Invicta : Yugo
Baume et Mercier : Buick
Breguet : Bugatti
Hamilton : Ford
Tag Heuer : Volkswagen (really annoying early 20s guys in Golfs and Jettas, really annoying early 20s guys in Tag Carreras)
Grand Seiko : Lexus
Longines : Lincoln
Casio : Nissan

Breitling : Infiniti

Oris : Subaru
Source: How Car Brands match to Watch Brands « As The Watch Turns

·
Registered
57 Posts
Most of the honda owners I know have blinged out footballers watches.. Seldom can keep accurate time as they keep saying their cars are faster than they are!

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
don't really care to comment on the whole list but there are some definite weird ones, for sure:

Baume&M=Buick??? to odd to discuss
and Longines=Lincoln. can't compute. maybe I'm missing something?

and Hamilton+Ford is too obvious for the wrong reasons but I won't quibble with any others as I think there will be as many opinions from others as there are days in the year

·
Registered
478 Posts
Whomever made that list doesn't get out much and knows nothing about cars. It simply can't be done unless you specify the aspect. JLC has a history of making movements for other people. Ferrari didn't want to help anybody but himself. The only time he had tried to collaborate, he backed out of the deal and told Ford forget it and was pummelled mercilessly at Le Mans by Ford GTs, repeatedly. The only thing that I can see that was semi-true was Mercedes and Rolex and that has been replaced by BMW because the old people that worshipped Mercedes are fewer. Omega has been undervalued as has Audi, and Omega has seen fit to beef up their line as has Audi. Look at the evolution of the RS4 vs the M3, the R8 vs the car BMW doesn't have, the RS6 vs the M5, the A8L vs the 760, the TT vs the Z3. None of these cars from Audi were considered a threat 10 years ago by BMW, or didn't even exist but now BMW builds reactionary cars to the Audi models. Rolex is trying to react by changing watch sizes and getting a little funky with their designs.

Not an easy accomplishment to compare due to the growth phases of the companies. Citizen equals Toyota? How many Lexus cars are beefed up Toyotas. Seiko with its reliable auto movements should be Toyota and Grand Seiko should be Lexus. Lamborghini was small and did things his way more akin to Sinn but now they are owned by Audi, so all that has changed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
BMW to Omega?. What an insult to Omega.

Reactions: Matty01

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
BMW to Omega?. What an insult to Omega.
Not that I ever see any real value in these threads I still enjoy them on some level.

To me Omega would equate to Audi most likely, maybe on some level BMW or even Cadillac as that company is trying to reclaim a past glory and somewhat successfully with refreshed models and better marketing, whreas the two former offer performance and engineering at a "reasonable" price, but Audi to me is the better fit given as mentioned above they are working to up their game considerably and went from almost not a consideration to a force to be considered.

Rolex regardless of what they have done to me still screams Mercedes, the two brands just fit from a positioning and target demographic standpoint to me...

Reactions: srajaram00

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Whomever made that list doesn't get out much and knows nothing about cars. It simply can't be done unless you specify the aspect.Not an easy accomplishment to compare due to the growth phases of the companies. Citizen equals Toyota? How many Lexus cars are beefed up Toyotas. Seiko with its reliable auto movements should be Toyota and Grand Seiko should be Lexus. Lamborghini was small and did things his way more akin to Sinn but now they are owned by Audi, so all that has changed.
Ladies & Gentlemen - we have a winner. Audi, Lexus, and Acuras are nothing more than Volkswagens, Toyotas, and Hondas wrapped in leather whereas brands like BMW and Mercedes are standalone luxury brands. Similarly, consider the number of watch manufacturers that make subtle tweaks from a base ETA movement (i.e., TAG & Breitling) while Rolex and Patek are all in-house movements.

mike.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
As a former Saab owner, if Zenith=Saab then a little dream of mine (owning a striking 10th el primero) just died.

Of all the comparisons, this one struck me as the silliest. Admittedly both brands (at least in the past in Saab's case) marched to their own beat.

Also, wouldn't Blancpain make more sense with Lamborghini? Do they not have a Lambo inspired offering? Plus I could definitely see a BPFF on the wrist of a man driving a Miura.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
don't really care to comment on the whole list but there are some definite weird ones, for sure:

Baume&M=Buick??? to odd to discuss
and Longines=Lincoln. can't compute. maybe I'm missing something?

and Hamilton+Ford is too obvious for the wrong reasons but I won't quibble with any others as I think there will be as many opinions from others as there are days in the year
Agree, never really like the whole 'car is to what watch' thing. Not against it... yet it just doesnt make much sense to me. Maybe if one asked 'what brand cars do watch owners choose?'

I will however say this;
IWC = Mercedes for sure. Only because, they cross promote their products. IWC also makes an official AMG watch. I think TAG Heuer also has a Benz association.

Bentley is JLC for the same reasons IWC is Mercedes.

I don't think Omega is associated with any car brand.

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
I will however say this;
IWC = Mercedes for sure. Only because, they cross promote their products. IWC also makes an official AMG watch. I think TAG Heuer also has a Benz association.

Bentley is JLC for the same reasons IWC is Mercedes.
Surely Bentley would have to be Breitling as they do an entire range of associated watches, JLC with Aston Martin for the same reason, the I agree with you AM, it all makes very little sense and you can make an argument for almost any pairing you like.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Where's the Aston Martin? Would think Omega would fit that bill as James Bond makes them both work all the time.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Just a minor correction - Omega = Pontiac/Holden/BMW. They are all the same quality level in my personal experience.
...but for the fact that Pontiac is now defunct, discontinued, however you want to look at the nameplate.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts