WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Meters -> Feet or Feet -> Meters conversion calculator here, courtesy of Google.]

Not meaning to be snarky, but seems a lot of chaps buy dive watches for the look (fashion sense), for the superior water resistance in the pool or shower, for the ruggedness, for the exceptional luminosity, for the heritage, for the collectability (?),....

But the real diver's watches are first and foremost tool watches meant to go ... DOWN ... underwater. "At depth." Bottom time.

How deep has your diver been?

... I'll start. My H558* was really a flyer's watch, but I snorkeled in the Caribbean during deployments, usually in 1M or so of water (no kidding). I dove down deeper once or twice, maybe ... 15M? 20M? No scuba diver here (maybe later in life). I might've taken it to one of the "diving" studies I participated in at Duke University Hospital's Hyperbaric Clinic; if I did it was risky taking it down deep with 20 year old seals. I couldn't have been that dumb, could I...? I took it on a trip to St. John last year for old time's sake, and took it snorkeling 1-2 meters down. No damage. Still a great watch, a classic.

* BTW, if you have any clue as to the "depth meter" chapter ring indicates, chime in. Divers I've asked in the past scratched their heads.

I bought a lovely "silver knight" 7S26 in 2006, and I'm sure I've worn this to the pool with the daughter. The Duke Hyperbaric studies I participated in were an ongoing FAA Flying After Diving study (don't recall how deep, but it was dry), maybe 50M or 75M, and a second Navy study, in which I was underwater at depth, about 57M (185' down in the chamber, another 2' in the water tank -- yes, they were very precise). I'm glad to say this stylish watch performed admirably at that depth.

Another beloved watch isn't necessarily a dive watch, but appears intended for waterborne activity. It's been sailing, swimming (not any more, the seals are 25 years old). It's now a dress watch.

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
the Halotype has been to 107 feet, the blueRing to 120 {several just over 100 foot dives with it. The other two have only been free diving so far, 30 feet or so.

·
Registered
448 Posts
LUMINOX 18meters during my discover scuba diving first dive

PROTREK that is rated only 100m went down with me to 44m during my deep diver specification and survived well, and even didint leak at 30m when i accidently pushed a button

OCEAN7 41m during regular fun dive

and my favorite SEIKO 38m also fun dive.

but all the credit goes to my protrek :)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I once got my Marathon TSAR slightly wet while washing my hands. :-d

·
Banned
325 Posts
The ones I use most for Diving are my Marathon GSAR and my Orsa Monstrum; they have both been with me at 28 meters.

Ola

·
Registered
291 Posts
My SKX007 has been down a few feet when I jumped in the river for a swim while whitewater rafting (calm section, of course). :-d

But I hope to get my C-card within the next few months so I can do some real diving. :-!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Sad to say that although I have many very cool divers the only one I have actually gone down with is my new, old faithful.

I had a very cool old Citizen with depth gauge when I first got certified, but after almost ten years, recently lost it. This new Seiko has only been to the bottom of the pool on my recert, but is going into the quarry next Saturday! :-!

Deacon

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
My deepest dive was during a series of Saturation dives in South America to 200 meters in the late 1970's. I took my Aquadive 1000 Meter rated chronograph along, just for fun.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
I was diving today in the 100ft range with my Rolex Submariner LV. All of my watches dive, except for the vintage ones. Right now my max range is around 150ft.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I dove down deeper once or twice, maybe ... 15M? 20M? No scuba diver here

Probably no where close to that deep. You'd be surprised how difficult it is for a beginner to snorkel to 45ft (15M) much less 60ft (20M).

Took this to 10M on my honeymoon. I remember because they said there was a wreck right below us at 35ft and I just had to touch it:

Other divers I have either have seen 2M pool/ocean water or just heavy rainstorms :)

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a commercial diver. My panerai pam 187 is often with me at depths of over 150m. I also have a Rolex sea dweller. I need these 2 watches because of the helium relief valves. I have actually tied my Panerai to an ROV that was sent down to 385m and all was fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had my G-Shock down to 96 metres (315 feet) on a wreck dive using a closed circuit rebreather. The citizen did a 42 metre dive on the Zenobia wreck off Cyprus and I don't use a watch while diving at work.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Last dive was only about 15M but thik IDF Kontiki went down to 40M with me a few years ago

My H558 was my dive watch while in diving course and then on the first
diving safari in Sinai, making together a 55M personal record
(I know it's a little off limits, but it was a by mistake). Sorry, no underwater pics...

Cheers
Galpo

1 - 20 of 63 Posts