WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little back story first. My mom recently told me that my grandparents met at the Elgin Watch factory in 1949 or 1950, so immediately I went out in search of some Elgin watches/pocket watches. After picking up a nice 70's sportsman I made the jump to a very nice 1950 Lord Elgin wrist watch. The only thing left was a nice pocket watch. Since I already had a 1950 watch, the date wasn't as important to me. I saw this pop up on ebay for a pretty good price (somewhere between 100 and 200). I did a little research and found that the movement dated to 1885 and was only 1 of 5000 made. [ELGIN] Online Elgin Database

The pictures weren't the greatest, but I could tell it was running by the second hand moving between pictures. I took a chance and bought it out.

The movement is amazing, the blued screws were a very nice surprise, and it seems to work perfectly. The case can't be the original since the Illinois Watch Case Co didn't start making the Spartan until the 20's, but it doesn't bother me much, I may even get it engraved with my initials! :-d

So anyway, how'd I do? I think I got a steal on an amazing piece of history which now has sentimental value from my grandparents. Only thing that would make it better would be if it came directly from my grandparents, but they didn't have any watches to pass down (that I know of...) Again, not worried about it.

Here's the Sportsman that I just wore in my brother's wedding and the 1950 Lord Elgin:

·
Registered
56 Posts
i'd say you knocked it out of the park with that Elgin convertible, to think it was made in America during the Old West by Americans working by gas light and coal furnace heat, getting to work on horseback, it boggles the mind.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i'd say you knocked it out of the park with that Elgin convertible, to think it was made in America during the Old West by Americans working by gas light and coal furnace heat, getting to work on horseback, it boggles the mind.
You are so right! Boggles the mind!

Very nice find indeed. Congrats and it is something you will always have to remember you Grandparents.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Great collection and a great story as too why you are going the Elgin route!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts