WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mostly a curiosity - but it looks like watches such as JLC Hometime, many dual time Reversos etc seem to assume that "home time" and travel time differ by multiples of an hour. Sometimes they don't! If you travel to India, for example. Right between "Karachi" and "Daka" - and a lot more common for a business destination than either of these two.

Is it correct that watches of the kind I mentioned above don't really support half-hour-offset timezones?

·
Registered
534 Posts
No, mechanical's typically don't manage the 1/2hr shifts. I'm sure the analog quartzes will, especially of course the atomics and GPS driven ones like the Seiko Astron .

·
Registered
36,280 Posts
World time quartz watches usually have a menu of cities to choose from, allowing for each city to have any necessary offset from home city time.

Note the cities around the chapter ring, with Delhi between DAC and Karachi.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Very few mechanical watches deal with the half-hour time zone difference. The Glashutte Original Grande Cosmopolite Tourbillon is one that comes to mind.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Same timezone as you. Same problem. That is what has kept me from getting a GMT watch, and has me looking for a Worldtimer instead. Bit of a shame, as I had a massive thing for the Nomos Zurich.

I guess one way to use a GMT is set it to Karachi and add half an hour. Yes, I realize the irony. :)

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
If you're always going to have the GMT hand set to India, there's nothing stopping a watchmaker from shifting the GMT hand by half-an-hour. But, of course, now you have a GMT watch that doesn't match most other time zones.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
If it's a mechanical GMT, you track it in your head. If it's a Worldtimer, you might be lucky enough to have your city of interest listed on the bezel between hour marks. Of course if it's digital, you can have it all.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I had a conversation about this with a sales person at Tourneau in NY. He seemed quite familiar with this and said few mechanicals will track a timezone with a .5 hr differential and you must + or - the 1/2 hr mentally after setting the GMT on the nearest full hour, as vkalia said.

Life is full of challenges.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I've always wondered how it worked for people going to or from India. I just assumed you dealt with it or learned. I mean, what happens when you're in Nepal and off by 15 minutes? You should ask people who are in Venezuela how it works, or anyone who did tours in Afghanistan. Those are off by 30 minutes. There's a few other countries as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts