WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to grab a Hamilton Khaki field quartz. Love the grab and go convenience of quartz plus not having to worry about the cost, for a daily beater. But, scratches on the crystal drive me crazy. Anyone know how I would go about installing/ having a sapphire crystal installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
Any qualified watchmaker can do the swap. There are modders that can and do it, and toy coulda learn, too. I'd recommend paying a pro to do the swap and practicing on cheaper watches if you want to learn.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any qualified watchmaker can do the swap. There are modders that can and do it, and toy coulda learn, too. I'd recommend paying a pro to do the swap and practicing on cheaper watches if you want to learn.

Would they source the sapphire? How do I know if someone is a "qualified watchmaker)? Would you do it local (I'm in Boston) or mail it out?

·
Registered
761 Posts
A good watch shop will have standard sizes in stock so you should be good there. I'd search wus for a thread or start one about Boston area service. Sending out you could send to Hamilton/Hamilton dealer, one of the experienced forum modders, etc. Your call. The only difference is cost....the established dealers will likely have a warranty, also change gaskets, etc in a full service.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A good watch shop will have standard sizes in stock so you should be good there. I'd search wus for a thread or start one about Boston area service. Sending out you could send to Hamilton/Hamilton dealer, one of the experienced forum modders, etc. Your call. The only difference is cost....the established dealers will likely have a warranty, also change gaskets, etc in a full service.

Thank you. I'm reaching out to a couple of local guys I found in a previous WUS thread re: Boston watchmakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts